Beach Garage Sale

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Cathie Coward, the Hamilton Spectator
HEAD FOR DEALS: Fun day at the beach

Roxanne Kenner and Allen Green carry their garage sale bargains along Beach Boulevard yesterday.

hs1179289_1.jpg

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Some Pics from the Garage Sale

I took a run up and down the Beach yesterday to have a look at the big sale and take a few pictures. I don't think it was as busy as past years, but it was still pretty crowded. With all the new houses, it look like there is a lot less room for the "vendors".

GS.jpg
GS2.jpg
GS3.jpg

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Former Beach Bum, now in Stoney Creek
You are right. It didn't seem half as busy as the past years. last year was a little slower.

I think residence are getting tired of the "Vendors" coming in and taking the business.
It started out as a nice community garage sale. Meet the neighbours, sell some stuff. Enjoy the day.
Now you get the vendors coming in and taking over the beach.

Vendors set up across from my parents house Saturday night. Or should I say Sunday morning. Banging around. Starting at 1:30am. COME ON. Show some respect to the residence down there.

Other then the vendors that drive me crazy, I think it went pretty good. Word of warning DON'T ever walk the whole thing when your almost 9 month pregnant. LOL

And Scott, sorry I missed you when you stopped by. I probably passed you on the street, but of course, I don't know what you look like so I couldn't help it. LOL

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
lil squirt said:
Other then the vendors that drive me crazy, I think it went pretty good. Word of warning DON'T ever walk the whole thing when your almost 9 month pregnant.
I don't walk the whole thing, I ride my bike. :D
Lastly on the "vendors", look at the mess they leave behind and I wonder if they give some small donation to one of the great causes that this sale is supposed to be for?

Garbage2.jpg
Garbage3.jpg
Garbage4.jpg
Garbage.jpg

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
lil squirt said:
Slobs. I think we need to find out where they are from and take the stuff they "Forgot" back. That would be the nice thing to do right?
The bottom left pic taken from in front of the school(arcoss from you, Squirt), seen these vendors on Channel 11 news last night, they were selling everything they owned and moving out west, so you won't catch up with them. :D

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
I was down there today. I can't believe that people are so darn lazy they can't pack their garbage up and take it home for garbage day.

Ok, yes I CAN believe it. Just not something I could do. It's an eye sore for people driving down there.
The corner of lagoon had a big old TV and a tonne of boxes sitting there. (I think it was lagoon)

Next year, the Garage Sale should be on a weekend with the big garbage pick up the next wednesday. That way people don't have to look at garbage for weeks and weeks. ;)

Kellins

Feb 22, 2005
Sorry I missed the sale, I would have liked to see some old friends. Im not sorry I missed all the mess afterwards. Why not charge non-residents for a space in a designated area to cover clean up and a donation to Operation Santa. They could book ahead then you would have their names and addresses if there were any problems. That way residents would have the freedom of their own areas and buyers would have the choice of Vendors or a real old fashioned garage sale.

BeckyS

May 29, 2005
What's the matter, lilsquirt? Your parents don't like the lovely display the vendors left across the street from us? Shabby Chic, don'tchyaknow.... *sigh*

The best part was that those same litterbugs played country music *all* *day*. Now, I'm a piano teacher, so I'm used to hearing the same song over and over.... and I like just about any kind of music.... but this guy was driving us *NUTS*. When the ice cream truck stopped in front of my house blaring that otherwise annoying tinkly music we were thanking him profusely for drowning out the vendor's country music CD.... the one CD... that he played over and over and over... dancing, too.

Ah, this post makes it seem like I didn't have a good time, and that isn't true. I had a great time. It was the first time the family came down to see how I've set my things up inside the house, and it's always a nice visit.... we do BBQ for lunch, and help each other with selling things.

I sold my giant computer desk too, which was a relief.

It's too bad if we can't do something about these annoying vendors. (I'm sure not all of the vendors are annoying.... right?)

Actually, there was a guy who very politely asked me if I owned the lot next to my house. When we explained what it was, he then politely asked if he could set up his table at the far end. He came over to chat a couple of times, and was generally a nice guy. When he was ready to leave for the day, he thanked us again for sharing the space.

So, a good day over all, despite the bad apples.

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
There sure are some nice people out there. We need more nice people in this world.

I was just down at my parents for a few minutes. The Garbage men didn't pick up any of the "forgotten" items.
Guess the streets will be lined with crap for another week or so.

I really just find it sad that the beach has to look so yucky after all the work everyone's been doing to make it look so nice and alove again.

Oh well, what can ya do?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Kellins said:
Sorry I missed the sale, I would have liked to see some old friends. Im not sorry I missed all the mess afterwards. Why not charge non-residents for a space in a designated area to cover clean up and a donation to Operation Santa. They could book ahead then you would have their names and addresses if there were any problems. That way residents would have the freedom of their own areas and buyers would have the choice of Vendors or a real old fashioned garage sale.
Sounds great if someone had the time, enforcement would be difficult though as many of the "vendors" do as they please and don't want to part with a nickel, never mind a donation to Santa.

Becky; the ice cream guy pulled out front of our sale and stayed there for 45 minutes, thought we had it bad. :D

BeckyS

May 29, 2005
scotto said:
Becky; the ice cream guy pulled out front of our sale and stayed there for 45 minutes, thought we had it bad. :D
We asked him how many ice creams we'd have to buy to get him to stay there the rest of the day. lol

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Message From Member Rae

I do think that the answer is vendors by invitation ONLY.
Payment in advance and a permit sticker given.
Police can enforce this and garbage must be removed, if not an invoice
for removal of left garbage.
The vendors pass is more to control than to forbid attending. It could
help pay for people to monitor and control the sales people. I would not tolerate these interlopers and their garbage in front of my house. Pay as you go. One street vending can be controlled through the city. They are not just locals trying to sell their goodies.
Tho I live across the canal I still consider myself a beach person. It
is one of my favourite places.
Rae.

Rae;
The City does control anyone who sells food, you must have a permit. So, now the only ones selling food are the Hotdog Cart people who have a yearly permit, I don't see the locals selling food anymore. I'm afraid this would also be the case if permits were required for the vendors, we would all have to get them. Also, would this action now carry over to all the city garage sales?? Something needs to be done about the garbage left by the ones who don't care, I don't know if control is the answer. :inn:
Scotto

BeckyS

May 29, 2005
scotto said:
I'm afraid this would also be the case if permits were required for the vendors, we would all have to get them.
Well, if when the enforcers of the permits would exempt anyone who could produce ID proving they live on the property they are set up on...

Thinking about it now.... if I hadn't been so tired after the sale, I would have gone across the street to talk to the vendor there... tell him how annoying his music was, and watch to make sure he took all of his junk with him.

Oh well...

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
BeckyS said:
Well, if when the enforcers of the permits would exempt anyone who could produce ID proving they live on the property they are set up on...

Thinking about it now.... if I hadn't been so tired after the sale, I would have gone across the street to talk to the vendor there... tell him how annoying his music was, and watch to make sure he took all of his junk with him.

Oh well...
After the mess last year I'm surprised that the school didn't stop it themselves, the Dynes ropped off the vacant lot beside them (which they own) and charged admission, no mess was left there. Maybe this topic should be brought forward at the next Beach Council meetings.

lil squirt said:
Sorry Scott. I didn't mean to make this a big issue.
Many have talked to me about this "issue" in and outside this Forum, no reason not to bring it up. :wink:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
One more suggestion sent my way, a deposit until your spot has been cleaned and checked....again more work for someone.

This item has been added to the agenda of the first Beach Council meeting, slated for September 6th at 7pm. If you have concerns, come to the meeting.
(Beach Recue Hall across from the Dynes)

Top Bottom