Beach Ice & Coal Delivery

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This old family photo shows the Young & Christian delivery truck for ice and coal, dated around the late 1920's.
Thanks to S. Young for sending in this Picture.:D

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Randy;

Thanks for joining, yes I do remember them (I wasn't around for ice and coal)or was that the pop guy?? How about the fruit & vegetable guy???
Scotto:D
BTW this picture will be added to the photo gallery.

randy mattinson

May 3, 2004
toronto
LOL, yeah i remember the fruit and veggie guy. as well as the knife sharpner. or the pop shop pop we got from walkers variety when we had to sneak over at lunch hr from school.
as well as drink the pop in the store so we didnt have to pay for the deposit on the bottle. wow i need to sit down now, a flood of memories just came wizzing back to me.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Scott,

"This old family photo shows the Young & Christian delivery truck for ice and coal, dated around the late 1920's.
Thanks to S. Young for sending in this Picture.:D

so the 'Young & Christian' was a ice and coal delivery business? Did it operate solely on the beach, or in Hamilton too? If just the former, did it have storage facilities on the beach for its ice and coal? The Ocean House Hotel had a ficility that stored about 100 tuns of ice, And by 1920 the Hamilton and Northwestern Railroad (H&NW) was operating on the beach, and delivering coal to the pump house. So maybe the Young & Christian Company was purchasing coal from the H&NW, and had a storage facility on the beach?

Fred indicates in the 'Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology thread, that before the H&NW began running on the beach in 1878, that coal was delivered to the pump house by horse-drawn cart.
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-542.html

It would be interesting to know exactly when ice and coal was first delivered to the houses on the beach.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
04-05-2004, 03:24 PM
"This old family photo shows the Young & Christian delivery truck for ice and coal, dated around the late 1920's.
Thanks to S. Young for sending in this Picture.:D"

Scott,

This thread refers to a 'Hann and Christian' ice and coal business on the beach.
"Regarding Ryan's drugstore next to the convenience store, if you look on page 78 of Gary Evan's "Prints Along The Beach" you will see the store with a 'Drugs' sign out front. Although the sign doesn't carry Ryan's name that is where Bill Ryan began his Beach business and as the caption to the print mentions, the store featured a soda fountain and I remember sitting on the classic wire-backed chairs that were a feature of all soda fountains then.
A couple of doors down (beside the butcher shop) was an alley where the Hann and Christian ice and coal business was located."

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-79.html

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Crawfish mentioned in the other thread (Peggy's store picture) that the end building wasn't a store but the house of the Hann/Chrisitan family who owned the ice and coal concession on the Beach. Ryan's did have the drug store next to it but moved near the school later on, still before my time.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
04-05-2004, 02:24 PM
This old family photo shows the Young & Christian delivery truck for ice and coal, dated around the late 1920's.
Thanks to S. Young for sending in this Picture.:D"

Fred, it seems that shortly after I joined the forom, you told me in a telephone call something about coal being delivered to your house (or maybe it was your parrents' house) on the beach. I'm sure that you have lots of memories about the eara of coal and ice. Why not share them with us?!

Top Bottom