Beware... New Phishing Scheme

TC

Administrator & Honorary Beach Bum
Feb 16, 2004
www.truecountrymusic.com
I just checked my email and had what appeared to be an email from paypal saying that a person that I had never heard of has sent me a payment. Basically the link provided was directed to a phishing website that is set up to retrieve your paypal login information.

If you receive an email like this don't follow the link provided in the email to check your account, instead use the official paypal url https://www.paypal.com

TC

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What is Phishing?

Phishing is a form of fraud designed to steal your identity. It works by using false pretenses to get you to disclose sensitive personal information, such as credit and debit card numbers, account passwords, or Social Security numbers.
One of the most common phishing scams involves sending a fraudulent email that claims to be from a well-known company. Phishing can also be carried out in person, over the phone, through fraudulent pop-up windows, and websites.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I get these on a regular basis, most are from some bank from the States (The Fourth Bank of Somewhere) asking me to straighten out my credit card info or they will be cut off. I get the Paypal one and just send it off to Paypal who then send me a message back warning me of the dangers of phishing.
Others are from people who send nasty emails about items they paid me for on Ebay and I never sent, I have never been a member at Ebay.
Thanks for the info Tc.

Top Bottom