Bitumar Odor Complaints

Feb 26, 2004
On the Beach
I called the M.O.E. to complain about an asphalt odour recently. The following day I received a return call from Tim Webb stating that he had received quite a few calls about the same thing. Mr. Webb stated that Bitumar has only a small amount of asphalt on site and are using it to test their burners and that he doesn't believe that the odour is coming from them. Mr. Webb also stated that any complaints should be made directly to Bitumar, and to contact George Alexander at 905 549-4561. He also said that if we don't let Bitumar know that there is a problem then how can they fix it!!!. So everyone please make sure that the phone number is kept in a prominent place and gets used as often as necessary!!!. Tell all your neighbours the phone number, so that we are all ready to respond when we need to.905 549-4561

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From The Beach Banner May 2004

ENVIRONMENT REPORT

Bitumar Asphalt Plant

Very strong asphalt smells have been coming from the plant.
It appears to be from loading and unloading tanker rail-cars.

We will try to work with the company and MOE to end this
problem. In the mean time, if you notice “ODOUR” coming
from the plant – call and complain:

Bitumar – George Alexander 905-549-4561
MOE – Hamilton 905-521-7650
Or the 24 hour line 1-800-268-6060

Bitumar’s Certificate of Approval states that they MUST operate
strictly within the guidelines. They are not allowed to impact our
quality of life at all.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
As most of you know, the "safe" asphalt plant (Bitumar) had a fire last night. I went over and tried to take a couple of pictures, but they didn't turn out too well. I took a couple today of the mess that was left over. :mad:
Also, I watched the first on the scene Firefighters walk to this wall of fire and start hosing down storage tanks that were taking the brunt of the heat. I don't think they get paid enough. :hail:

Top Bottom