Black Dust/Soot

Suzanne

Sep 16, 2006
The photo in today's Spec on the front of the Classified Section reminded me that I meant to post a message on Wednesday morning. I walk the dog past the empty space where Green Gables was located at Beach Blvd and Eastport. The snow in front of the empty Green Gables lot is covered in a black dust. In fact there is so much, that a good camera may even pick it up - before the rain comes of course.

Now i know why the sun is not coming in too well through the front windows!

s

rprouse

Nov 10, 2009
Beach Blvd
We had our house resided at the end of December. All of our windows were recapped in white, but within 3 weeks, they were all covered in black again. I'm just glad I went with a dark colour for the siding.

You mention the windows, I wonder about our lungs...

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The photo in today's Spec on the front of the Classified Section reminded me that I meant to post a message on Wednesday morning. I walk the dog past the empty space where Green Gables was located at Beach Blvd and Eastport. The snow in front of the empty Green Gables lot is covered in a black dust. In fact there is so much, that a good camera may even pick it up - before the rain comes of course.

Now i know why the sun is not coming in too well through the front windows!
Suzanne;
I had a look today and I am not sure what you mean, yes the the side of the road has a black crust on the snow, but that is the same everywhere due the road traffic and salt.
I general area seems to be fairly white, maybe I am not looking in the right place?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
We had our house resided at the end of December. All of our windows were recapped in white, but within 3 weeks, they were all covered in black again. I'm just glad I went with a dark colour for the siding.

You mention the windows, I wonder about our lungs...
Rob;
From past years it seems the worst time is coming, usually sometime in Feb. IMO that seems to be the time for some reason. A few years ago the steel companies had to clean all of our homes for a considerable price.

Suzanne

Sep 16, 2006
black dust

on Wed am the snow was fresh, not like today for instance when it is starting to look dirty and melting; on wed it was quite noticeable - a black powder on clean white snow - at the time it certainly did not look like dirt from the road,, i should have written in on Wed am, sorry.

suz

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
on Wed am the snow was fresh, not like today for instance when it is starting to look dirty and melting; on wed it was quite noticeable - a black powder on clean white snow - at the time it certainly did not look like dirt from the road,, i should have written in on Wed am, sorry.

suz
Thanks for the reply Suzanne;
I will have another look and I will be moving this thread to the evironmental section.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Has anyone noticed a large increase of black soot in last week? Now my windows and siding are covered in it, I guess all this wind doesn't help.

Top Bottom