Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Councillor Chad Collins:
Neighbourhood Report

FEBRUARY 2021

BEACH NEIGHBOURHOOD EDITION

SINK-A-SHIP FOOD DRIVE: THANK YOU!

A special thank you to members of the Hamilton Beach Rescue unit who held their 3rd annual 'Sink A Ship' food drive in December. Nearly 3,800 lbs of food was collected and donated to the East End Food Bank located at Greenhill Ave and Quigley Road.
Thank you to all Beach Community residents who generously contributed to the food drive.

NEW OR REPLACEMENT BLUE BOXES

If you require a new blue box or green cart to increase your household recycling activities or to replace lost or damaged boxes (additional waste tags are also available). Please contact my office and I will personally deliver one (or more) to your home.

PROVINCE DENIES TRAFFIC SIGNAL

At the request of Beach Neighbourhood residents, the City formally petitioned the Province of Ontario (via council resolution) for the installation of a traffic signal at the intersection of Eastport Drive and Beach Boulevard. In November 2019 City Council unanimously approved my motion to request a signal at this location in response to a number of requests from neighbourhood residents. As noted in previous correspondence, Eastport Drive is maintained and regulated by the Provincial Ministry of Transportation as it functions as an alternative route to the Skyway Bridge during service interruptions. The Province, through Ministry of Transportation representatives,
has denied the City's request stating traffic volumes are less than 50% of what meets their criteria.

PARK DEVELOPMENT

Design and planning for park improvements are underway for the unnamed park adjacent to Sierra Lane. Improvements include a paved pathway, tree planting and landscape improvements and other small amenities. It's anticipated that these upgrades will be completed in 2021.

2021 CONFEDERATION PARK UPGRADES

Substantial progress was made in 2020 related to the second phase of the multi-year plan to redevelop the former RV campground at Confederation Park. Phase 3 schedule of works for 2021 includes the paving of the new parking lot adjacent to the North Service Road, new fieldhouses (including washroom facilities), drinking fountains, a children's play area, works yard, enhanced landscaping and tree planting. The 12 pickleball courts, multi-use soccer field, and cricket pitch will be available for use (contingent on
pandemic restrictions) spring 2021. Future phases include a new park entrance at Centennial Parkway, additional pathway connections and other recreation amenities.

ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS

In 2019 City Council approved my motion to install electric vehicle charging stations at two locations in Ward 5. Charging stations are now in operation on Van Wagner's Boulevard and in the City owned parking lot on Mountain Avenue South in downtown Stoney Creek.

NEW BEACH GROOMER

As previously mentioned in my last newsletter, the city has purchased a new beach groomer to replace the old equipment we purchased in 2003. The new machine was tested late last year and seems to work much better than the former machine we used for almost 20 years. I'm currently pursuing the possible purchase of a second machine to be utilized by the Conservation Authority who maintain Confederation Park, under contract with the City of Hamilton.

EAST HAMILTON FOOD BANK

With the assistance of Ward 5 residents, and funding support from City Council, we opened the East End Food bank in May of 2019. The facility, located in the plaza at 625 Greenhill Ave. (at Quigley Rd.), is now serving individuals and families from all parts of Hamilton and Stoney Creek. Volunteers are needed to assist with its operation and community food drives. If you're interested in volunteering your time at the food bank . please contact my office for additional information.

NEW PARK INTERPRETIVE PANELS

In 2011 I had the opportunity to work with Beach community residents in honouring the late Jimmy Lomax with a park renaming initiative and creation and installation of an interpretive panel in the park. Since 2011 we've renamed another two parks after late Beach residents Reg Wheeler and Jimmy Howard.
Park interpretive panels celebrating and honouring their lives will be installed in 2021.

POLLINATOR GARDEN VOLUNTEERS

Volunteers are needed for planting pollinator gardens planned for the Beach Neighbourhood in 2021. The City will be installing a number of raised gardens in area parks and requires volunteers to assist with the planting of shrubs, grasses and wild flowers. Please contact my office for more information.

TRAIL AMBASSADOR PROGRAM

In 2020 City Council approved my request to provide heightened bylaw presence on the waterfront trail by creating a Waterfront Ambassador pilot program. The full-time enforcement through the summer months was a success, and will be reinstituted again in 2021 through the month of May until the end of August.

NEW DRINKING FOUNTAINS ON TRAIL

I'm currently working with City Parks Department staff to install 3 freestanding fountains with bottle fill and dog bowl along the waterfront trail. Preliminary locations based on current water servicing include the beach hut, vicinity of Mareve Ave and the Lakeview building. Another fountain will be installed in the vicinity of the new pickleball courts in Confederation Park.

HABITAT FOR HUMANITY DONATION

Hamilton City Council recently approved my request to donate another vacant lot to Habitat for Humanity Hamilton (HHH). Since 1998 the City has partnered with HHH on seven Beach neighbourhood builds, providing assistance with affordable homeownership to local Hamilton families. The property located at 3 North Park Avenue will be the fourth donation in the neighbourhood, in addition to three purchases they've made on bayside side streets.

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CLOSES PIER

Transport Canada has informed the cities of Hamilton and Burlington that they plan to permanently block public access to the piers at the Burlington Canal. Public access to the area has existed for well over a century and is regularly used by pedestrians, local anglers and others. As has been reported in the local media, the piers are owned and maintained by the Federal Government. Both Hamilton and Burlington have petitioned federal representatives to reinstate public access, however to date the Federal Government has ignored our requests and is currently planning the installation of gates on both piers.

WARD 5 NEIGHBOURHOOD TREE PLANTING

Since 2015 I've worked with Ward 5 residents and neighbourhood organizations to plant additional trees in City Parks, open spaces, road allowances and on the front lawns of residential properties. In partnership with the City's Forestry Department we've managed to plant almost 500 trees in Ward 5, many of them planted in the Beach community, including Confederation Park. Additional plantings are planned for 2021. If you're aware of a location in the neighbourhood, or would like a tree planted on your front lawn, please contact my office for more information.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, QUERIES ...

For the past number of years I have distributed newsletters and community reports to neighbourhoods across Ward 5. If you have questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (905-546-2716) or by email: (ccollins@hamilton.ca).

Top Bottom