Councillor Chad Collins Report June 2012

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
BEACH COMMUNITY EDITION

STREET TREE PLANTING PROGRAM
Under the City of Hamilton's Street Tree Planting Program, Forestry staff will plant free trees along the road allowance portion of residential and commercial properties. This fully- funded program includes both new tree plantings and replacing trees that have been removed. Residents interested in this program can contact.my..office or the Forestry Tree PIanting
Section by phone at 905-546-2489 or by email at treeplanting@hamilton.ca. Once the request is received a representative of the City will visit the location and discuss tree species options.

SALE OF CITY OWNED VACANT LOTS
The City continues to make good progress with the sale and disposal of the vacant residential lots along Beach Boulevard and area side streets. We will witness a lot of construction activity this year with the recent sale of 132, 148, 210, 746, 856, 958, 962, 966, 970 and 974 Beach
Boulevard, as well as 2 and 4 Kirk Avenue. The construction of homes on these lots are in addition to the many houses already under construction or under renovation in neighbourhood. Please note that additional lots will be listed in August or September, and will be advertised on the City's website.

JIMMY LOMAX PARK - PHASE 2
A small working group has been struck to assist with the design and creation of a new interpretive panel that will celebrate the life achievements of long time beach neighbourhood resident and Hamilton icon, Jimmy Lomax. Once completed, the panel will be installed adjacent to the park entrance sign at Jimmy Lomax Park. Work will also include the planting of additional coniferous trees along the rear of the park to screen the unsightly MTO works yard.

HABITAT FOR HUMANITY HOME
Habitat for Humanity and their partners at Homes by DeSantis continue to make good progress on the new home under construction on Comet Avenue. It's taken less than three months
to construct the structure and interior space of the four bedroom single family dwelling, and according to Habitat representatives, the project is well ahead of schedule. The tentative completion date is earmarked for later this month, with the 'key ceremony' scheduled for 11am on June 29th. Area residents are welcome to attend this special occasion.

NEW OR REPLACEMENT BLUE BOXES
If you require a new blue box to increase your household recycling activities or to replace a lost or damaged box, please contact my office and I will deliver one (or more) to your home.

COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENTS
The second phase of construction at the regional shopping centre on Centennial Parkway is soon to start. The next phase of development will include a new Toys R Us, Buffalo Wild Wings,
Mucho Burrito, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, and Extreme Pita.
Plans for the third phase of development will include a hotel facing the QEW.
The owners of Eastgate Mall have submitted plans to renovate the east side of the mall along Centennial Parkway, formerly occupied by Walmart. Construction will commence during the
third week of June to accommodate almost a dozen new retailers including Sportchek and Winners. The common space and interior improvements are scheduled to be completed prior to Christmas, with many of the new retailers opening early 2013.

AROUND THE WARD ...
There are a number of other projects underway in Ward 5. June updates include: Bishop Ryan High School declared surplus, additional road and sidewalk work, new Hamilton East air
monitoring site, pool renovations in Rosedale and preliminary plans for Confederation Park. Visit the Ward 5 website at www.chadcollins.ca for more information.
QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, QUERIES .•.
For the past number of years I have distributed newsletters and community reports to neighbourhoods across Ward 5. The purpose of the report is to keep you informed in regards to what is happening in your neighbourhood. If you have questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (546-2716), my home (545-3737) or by email:
(ccollins@hamilton.ca ).

Top Bottom