scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
BEACH COMMUNITY EDITION
MARCH 2013

CONFEDERATION PARK MASTER PLAN
The City of Hamilton is undertaking various studies to advance the Confederation Park Master Plan approved August 2010. The master plan proposes a number of changes to the park that will provide new recreation amenities including trails and sports fields, as well as modifications to the parks entrances and exits. Design and construction of the new trails and park gateways will be initiated this year. (designs attached)

COMMUNITY CLEAN UPS
A number of community clean ups are planned across the ward including park, ravine & trail initiatives in Rosedale, Riverdale, and the Quigley/Greenhill community. I'm working with Beach area residents to organize our 6th annual community 'clean up' and BarBQ at the Beach Rescue Unit. The event is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, April 27th. Additional information will be distributed in early April.

WARD 5 BUSINESS AWARD WINNERS
In 2012 City Council approved my motion to distribute small and large business appreciation awards to local Hamilton businesses. The awards recognize their contribution to the City's economy and relay our thanks for their continued investment in Hamilton. Congratulations to Ward 5 award recipients Red Hill Toyota at 2333 Barton Street East, and Hutch's on the Beach located on Van Wagners Road.

EASTGATE RENOVATIONS
Work continues to progress at Eastgate Mall with the $17 Million renovation project that started last year. The owners of the mall advise that after experiencing some delays, they are now on track to open the expanded area of the mall in June/July 2013. New tenants to the mall include a Winners, Sportchek and Dollarama. Other tenants will be advertised to the community shortly.

NEW PEDESTRIAN COUNTDOWN TIMERS
At the request of area residents, the City'S Traffic Operations Department has installed a number of pedestrian countdown timers at a number of busy intersections throughout the ward. The timers assist pedestrians by informing them of how much time they have to cross the block. They are currently in use at a number of intersections throughout the City, including the crosswalks at Nash and Queenston Road. They have become quite popular, especially with seniors and the disabled. Please note that Pedestrian Countdown Timers have been installed at the following intersections: Queenston & (Woodman, Kenora, Centennial, Riverdale & Donn Ave.), Barton & (Nash, Centennial & Lake) and King St. E. & Quigley Rd.

CENTENNIAL PRKWY RECONSTRUCTION
Work will begin this year on Centennial Parkway including the reconstruction of the rail bridge near Home Depot, as well as the design of the road between King St. E. & Barton St. E. I will be hosting a public open house to receive feedback from area residents and businesses later this year. Temporary lanes will be constructed around the bridge, and HSR staff is currently investigating whether detours are required for City buses.

CENTENNIAL PRKWY SHOPPING COMPLEX
The transformation of the former Waxman Scrapyard continues to take shape at the new Regional Shopping complex on Centennial Parkway. Construction of the new Toys R Us is well underway beside the new Walmart store. The next phase of development will include a number of new restaurants including but not limited to a Five-Guys-Burger & Fries, Mucho Burrito, Buffalo Wild Wings and others. Development plans have been submitted for a new 6 story, 200 room hotel, with ground floor restaurants 'Moxies' and 'Denny's'. The hotel will be located on the north side of the property, just south of the South Service Road.
AROUND THE WARD ....

There are a number of other projects underway in Ward 5. March updates include: new Food Bank progress, community clean ups, Barton Street reconstruction and much more. Visit the Ward 5 website at www.chadcollins.ca for more information.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, QUERIES ...
For the past number of years I have distributed newsletters and community reports to neighbourhoods across Ward 5. If you have questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (546-2716), my home (545-3737) or by email: (ccollins@hamilton.ca).

Top Bottom