Coyotes move into the Beach Strip

Paul_G

Nov 1, 2009
Hi,
If you do not wish anmals like coyotes on your property, the best thing to do is make it unappealing. This means clearing dense vegetation so there is not sufficient cover, making sure there is no food or biological waste that is accessible and do not leave pet food or bird seed outside. With nothing to tempt them and no way to come unobserved, there really isn't any reason for them to come and if they are passing through they will do so swiftly.
This will also help keep smaller animals away as well.

Coyotes in the open are likely young and inexperienced, caught accidentally on the way to cover or are becoming habituated to people. Reports to animal control and Coyote Watch Canada should be made immediately so that habits can be ascertained and the issue resolved humanely before things become difficult.

Gaelic

Apr 15, 2008
Hello,
I also believe that there is more to the story. Was she preinjured? Did the animals come upon her after falling or being assaulted by someone else? While coyotes can cause a nasty wound with their bite, even with two of them and even if they were large for coyotes, the attack is unusual. Even wolves which are larger almost never bother with humans and usually only being defensive.

If they did attack first, could it be they had something near they were protecting?
I am also not certain they were even coyotes or the animal killed was the one to have been involved. It is just as likely that they were dogs who are much more likely to approach people and are the culprit in many rural livestock incidents as well.

Remember too that these animals are primarily mouse and rabbit hunters, with the occasional deer fawn when the opportunity arrives. People are a large step up. But they are opportunists and may take advantage of a situation. They also will eat almost anything so you never know what is going to serve as a food source they are protecting.

As for Hamilton, it is more important than ever that we do not over-react. The animal killed was less than a year old and was regularly being fed directly by people which lowered its fear.

On November 17 the City is presenting their new animal bylaws which will include feeding wildlife as an offence with songbirds being the main exception as well as others for rural areas. This also includes leaving food out that a coyote may see as food so they are not attacted. It is very important Not To Feed Coyotes!

What is truly needed is more general education, something I as a private citizen am working on to help provide. One thing I am working on is an information session about coyotes with an expert. If anyone wishes to help, let me know.

I also suggest parents ask their schools to include a unit about coyotes and coyote safety. I know of another city that has done so and even has lesson plans that they will sell to interested parties. But at least they should have a presentation at school.

In the end, please do not let the Nova Scotia incident cloud the issue or make anyone more afraid than before.
Hi Paul. I haven't been back to this forum since posting about Taylor's death in Nova Scotia, so just saw your post now.

Taylor was a good friend and we know her mom Emily quite well.

First of all, unfortunately, there is not more to the story. Taylor was hiking, on a well populated path. She passed several hikers just before she was attacked (they heard her screams and came immediately to her rescue). She was not wearing her iPod, not carrying food, and she had enough sense to never, ever feed a wild animal.

There is no evidence to suggest she was injured prior to the attack in any way.

Unusual - absolutely. Only the second only recorded fatality, and the other was a toddler in California. There was no evidence there was a recent kill they were protecting (food), or a litter.

I assure you - they WERE coyotes. The hikers who came to her aid witnessed part of the attack. The RCMP shot at one as the paramedics were treating her (it ran off and was never found). Even while people were helping her, the coyotes would not retreat until shot at :(

The coyote that was later shot and killed had her DNA all over it (Taylor's blood), so was conclusively involved in the attack.

While I agree that dogs are involved in FAR, FAR more attacks on people...these were not dogs. They were not "hybrids", either...as some in the media had been suggesting.

Emily has been in constant contact with the Nova Scotia government, as well as the RCMP in Halifax (the officer who arrived on the scene and shot at the animals has been wonderful. He has been in touch with Emily and has been unfaltering in his support to her, so important as he was one of the last people to speak to and be with Taylor).

There is STRONG evidence the coyotes in the area had been fed. It had been repeatedly reported that they (as many coyotes have) had lost their fear of humans. This is SO important. My husband was a park ranger in Yellowstone in the '90's, he has always said to me, a fed bear is a dead bear - because once they associate humans with food, they become a nuisance and a danger. This applies to all wildlife. I wholeheartedly support the new bylaw regarding this.

I am trying very, very hard to not let what happened to my friend cloud my judgment on coyotes. I really believed that they had their place and we could coexist. But after seeing what her mom is going through, to lose her only child, in such a horrific fashion - I am having a very hard time with it. My HEAD knows what is right, my HEART is breaking for my beautiful friend who will never live her life. And I am afraid :(

If there is anything we can do to help with the information sessions being planned, by all means let me know.

Paul_G

Nov 1, 2009
Greetings Gaelic,

I am very sorry for your loss. I am sure Taylor will be dearly missed by many and her passing is a terrible tragedy. I thank you for your offer of assistance and currently, the best assistance is to help spread the word of the upcoming event on December 16th.

My questioning of events was in no way meant to judge or tarnish Taylor's memory in any way but to make sense of something that may never be understandable.

Like with bears, the saying a "fed coyote is a dead coyote" is also often used and I recommend you let the city animal control know of your support for their wildlife feeding bylaw which was presented a couple of weeks ago but can be found on the city website and is still open for public comment.

I would also encourage you and anyone else that if a coyote is spotted that you inform animal control and Coyote Watch Canada. Even posting here can help as I would be glad to forward the sighting. By having a better idea of a coyote's urban presence, the better chance things can be done to prevent habituation or conflict.

The reason I suggested there is more to the story is that even being habituated does not totally explain the coyote's behaviour. Which is in part why I think more information about these predators in our midst is necessary. I hope the upcoming presentations will help do just that.

Again, my heart goes out to you, Talor's family and everyone else impacted by her tragic loss.

Gaelic

Apr 15, 2008
Hi Paul,

Don't worry - I understand. Everyone is trying to make sense of it and no one can. It just seems inexplicable. They weren't sick, they weren't hungry, she was not a tiny girl (taller than me, and I'm over 5 feet at least).

I just wanted to clear up the misconceptions that have been somewhat perpetrated by the media, as well as just people trying to make sense of it all. I've discovered that with some people (not yourself!) it seems to be easier to blame the victim as a way of convincing themselves it will never happen to them....

Even my husband, an avid hunter and fisherman, still to this day cannot comprehend what happened. He just kept repeating "coyotes don't kill people. Coyotes don't kill people!".

Thank you so much for your kind comments and I will pass them on to her mom tonight when I see her. I will also check out the bylaw and give it my support.

If I do hear any more details on the attack from Emily, I will be sure to pass them on to you. Though I have a feeling that at this point we will never know.

Take care,

Kathy

Apr 8, 2004
coyote sighting

at approimately 1930 (7:30pm) by the lighthouse keepers house by lift bridge today

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaelic

Apr 15, 2008
Saw one yesterday at 1415. On the right grassy median of the Eastbound QEW, just by the wastewater treatment plant. It was trotting towards the lift bridge and was a good size, almost like a German Shepherd. DEF a coyote :(

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Saw one yesterday at 1415. On the right grassy median of the Eastbound QEW, just by the wastewater treatment plant. It was trotting towards the lift bridge and was a good size, almost like a German Shepherd. DEF a coyote :(
I have seen the same one a few times near the canal on the Burlington side, I have also seen the same one along the side of the QEW near Eastport. And it is one ugly coyote, not like the that I took pictures of hanging around the Beach. Just plain ugly.

dragonlady_lfn

May 11, 2007
Coyotes!

Does anyone know if they are still looking into trapping and relocating the coyotes or have done so?

I do know my parents lost a cat in the summer to the "little darlings" and they are still very active on the strip.

Paul_G

Nov 1, 2009
They captured 1 and euthanised it in Feb/March. It's mate disappeared soon after. Several others known to have been in the area were said to have been killed on private land further away.

Currently, I do not believe there are any current plans to trap any animals.

However, if you truly believe there are coyotes in the area beyond the missing cat which could have disappeared for a variety of reasons, please let me know and I can perhaps have Coyote Watch Canada look into it. I know I checked into another case where someone believed they had found the remains of a coyote killed cat and it turned out to be a young raccoon. I would not worry to much unless they display unusual behaviour in which case it is important to investigate early to try and avoid harm either to people or the animal.

As many details as possible would be great as coyotes are hard to find even if you know for sure they are there.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010
7 p.m. Beach Rescue Hall
Open to the whole Community, come and learn about the coyote and how to understand its presence in the urban setting.
Sponsored by the Hamilton Beach Community Council

Regular Meeting to follow.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I spotted a coyote on the Trail section near the Burlington Bridge and I have attached a not so good pic. It came walking down the path until it seen me then turn around and ran off, I took a pic through my windshield so the quality is very poor.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Put a lid on it, coyotes on prowl

Sightings on Beach Boulevard again

July 27, 2010
Danielle Wong
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jul 27, 2010)
Coyotes are again being seen in Hamilton's east end.

Hamilton animal control services have received about a dozen reports of two coyotes in the Beach Boulevard area since the beginning of July, but the animals have not displayed dangerous behaviour.

The coyotes were seen near the ArcelorMittal Dofasco site and as far west as Ottawa Street North.

"They aren't approaching anyone," animal control manager Paul Buckle said yesterday. "They're going through unattended garbage or food left on the ground. They're scavenging."

Last year, a female coyote was trapped and euthanized after she and her mate threatened people and dogs along the Beach Strip.

In that case, residents were feeding the wildlife and the pair started "begging" for food, Buckle said.

Hamilton animal control officers had appealed all the way to the Ontario Minister of Natural Resources' office to save the coyote's life, but an aide to the minister said she could not overrule Guelph district manager Ian Hagman.

The result of that incident is "the last thing" the city wants to see repeated, Buckle said yesterday.

Animal control plans to leave the animals alone if the coyotes, who might be a pair or roaming individually, are following "normal coyote behaviour," he said.

"You are at greater risk from a dog you don't know than a coyote," Buckle said. "Only when you interfere, then they (have) antipathy towards us."

The city has contacted Coyote Watch Canada and the Ministry of Natural Resources about the reports.

At this point, the situation does not seem to warrant firmer action, Buckle said.

If the coyotes are a pair, there is a small chance a young coyote is also travelling with them, he said, adding coyotes tend congregate in packs of an adult male, female and juvenile.

Animal control is asking residents not to litter and to ensure their garbage is properly stored.

"As we encroach more and more on their habitat, we have to expect greater interaction with the wildlife that we displace," Buckle said.

dawong@thespec.com

905-526-2468

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Coyotes make themselves at home in Stoney Creek

By Kevin Werner, News Staff

Stoney Creek News
Apr 29, 2010
Large Medium Small Print This Article Tell a friend Carolyne DeLaat discovered her family had some new neighbours late last year.
And with any new residents moving into a neighbourhood, it has taken them a while to get used to them. These residents, though, took the DeLaat family a lot more time to understand.

“The first thing we heard were these little puppies, back in December,” said DeLaat, who has lived in her Oakridge Drive home that backs onto the Niagara Escarpment for about five years.

“We thought we had dogs. Then the howling began, and we wondered what could it be?”

One Sunday night when she let out her golden retriever, her eyes moved up to the escarpment and locked onto a huge coyote staring straight at her, and not backing down from the human contact. “They just look at you,” she said.

“I had to run after my dog, grab her and put on her leash.”

Since then, during the winter and into spring, DeLaat, her husband and two older daughters have slowly adapted to the den of coyotes that live behind their home.

During the night at around 11 p. m. they would hear the coyotes howling, which would sometimes go on into the early morning hours.

“That howling is disturbing,” she said.

She has seen paw prints coming as close as 50 feet to within her property. And she has also noticed the once prevalent wildlife in the area, such as rabbits, and squirrels, are all gone.

DeLaat contacted city officials, but without any luck, then the Ministry of Natural Resources for help, who referred her to a trapper. She said the trapper told her he could capture the coyotes and release them but only a mile from the area. Since coyotes are territorial animals, and can roam up to five miles from their home, any coyote released a mile away would be back soon. The trapper also offered to capture and kill the animal, but she has resisted the idea, at a cost of about $1,000, she said.

As the weather gets warmer, DeLaat worries about the neighbourhood children’s safety, as well as people who use the Bruce Trail. An entrance to the trail system is near the coyotes’ den.

“These animals are huge,” she said. “They are also very curious about things.”

She wonders what will happen when summer blooms and homeowners start enjoying their backyard barbecues, and other activities, which is sure to attract the attention of the coyotes, she said.

“They are not intimidated whatsoever,” she said. “They will stay and look when confronted. Then they gradually saunter away. They are lean, mean looking animals about the size of a wolf.”

She says any child, especially younger kids, would be threatened by a coyote.

“These coyotes should be in a more controlled environment,” she said.

A Niagara Escarpment Commission spokesperson said NEC does not have jurisdiction over wildlife on the escarpment.

Stoney Creek councillor Maria Pearson has suggested the NEC install signs warning people who use the Bruce Trail of the presence of coyotes in the area.

Since DeLaat’s first encounter with the coyotes, she has absorbed as much information about them as possible. Her property doesn’t have a fence, and she believes one would be useless since coyotes can jump about 10 feet. If there are fruit trees around, coyotes will be there, and bird feeders also provide another readily available food source.

They are disturbed by loud noises, so DeLaat has a whistle handy. And if a person is confronted by a coyote, don’t run away, or they will chase you down, she says. Back away slowly, she said.

“We are adapting as best we can,” she said. “I would prefer the city take measures.”

Hamilton residents have had to live uneasily with coyotes as their appearances have become more frequent across the city, in Ancaster, and last year along the beach strip. Coyotes became so bold among Beach residents that they were walking along the street and taking food that had been left near homes. They can still be seen loping around the area, said Ward 5 councillor Chad Collins.

The Natural Resources ministry did kill one coyote last year, after there were arguments made about relocating the animal.

This past year a coyote killed a young Nova Scotia woman, and in Mississauga a coyote snatched a small dog while it was walking with its owner. The dog wasn’t on a leash.

Pearson said the City of Hamilton can’t do anything about the animals. She said it is illegal for a person to shoot the coyotes because it is against the city’s bylaw to use a firearm within the city limits.

Since the spring, DeLaat and her family hear the coyotes howling maybe every two weeks. The pups have grown and are now travelling with their parents around the area.

“There could definitely be a much larger problem in the future,” said DeLaat. “Nobody is willing to do anything. There are too many children in the area. I don’t feel these coyotes should be in the urban areas.”

Attachments

Paul_G

Nov 1, 2009
stoney creek coyotes

Obviously the world did not end and the two families one human and one coyote managed to survive without incident.
What people need to understand is coyotes are very smart and very curious so when you are watching them unsure of their intentions. They are just doing the same thing. It does not mean they are being aggressive or have "lost their fear" or anything.
Coyotes are wild animals so I do not understand how they can be put in a "more controlled environment" that is fear talking I think.
I also think it was this article that prompted me to contact councillor Pearson trying to get some momentum on putting signs up in known coyote areas not to cause fear but so people are not surprised and can act accordingly when coyotes are seen. I feel that she was for it but did not want to have the city pay for it. she said she would research but i have heard nothing. Her idea of having the Bruce Trail people do it really does not work as coyotes do not all live by the trail and so alone it will do little.
I'd like to see signs something like signs seen in Waterloo. A pic would be attached but the website does not seem to want to let me upload the pic it just asks for a web address which I do not have.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I'd like to see signs something like signs seen in Waterloo. A pic would be attached but the website does not seem to want to let me upload the pic it just asks for a web address which I do not have.
Paul;
Would you please post a link to that Site, I will give it a try or get it from somewhere else.
Thanks

Gaelic

Apr 15, 2008
I am late to the party here, but there are some inaccuracies in the article, that's for sure.

Agree with Paul - exactly what does she mean by “These coyotes should be in a more controlled environment,”? The only "controlled" environment I can think of for wildlife would be...well...a zoo.

What a shame we can't coexist with nature instead of fearing it.

Obviously the Coyotes have a food source. If she is worried about her dog, keep it on a leash, and be present. It is RARE that a coyote would be bold enough to challenge any dog that had a human close by (though it HAS happened...but note the dog in Mississauga was off-leash).

While I appreciate her fear, even *I* think she is overreacting. And believe me, since my friend Taylor was killed last year, I am no fan of coyotes.

Another inaccuracy in the article I'm afraid - Taylor was from Toronto, and killed in Cape Breton.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
It looks like these coyotes are getting bolder now. This happened in Whitby recently.

"WHITBY, Ont. - Durham regional police say a coyote snatched a small dog from someone's front lawn in Whitby, just east of Toronto.

Police say the man who owned the dog was on his front steps Wednesday night when the coyote came from the side of the home and carried away the pet.

The man was unharmed.

Police say they spotted a number of coyotes in the area but found no sign of the Shih-poo dog.

It was the second coyote sighting in the Whitby area.

Police say people should take measures to protect themselves and their pets."

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...atches-dog-110331/20110331?hub=TorontoNewHome

Sadly the dog was killed by the coyote.

Top Bottom