Did you know Ronald Hambly Martin?

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I have a obituary for Ron Martin. Died Feb. 22, 2011. Says he was a long time member of the Hamilton Beach Rescue and worked at Robertson-Irwin. I didn't want to put this on the Rescue part of this site because it wasn't directly related to a rescue. I would like to know who this man was and if anyone knows of a living relative. I think I am related to him. Any information on who he was would be greatly appreciated.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have a obituary for Ron Martin. Died Feb. 22, 2011. Says he was a long time member of the Hamilton Beach Rescue and worked at Robertson-Irwin. I didn't want to put this on the Rescue part of this site because it wasn't directly related to a rescue. I would like to know who this man was and if anyone knows of a living relative. I think I am related to him. Any information on who he was would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Peggy, I will ask.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
None of Ron Martin's immediate relatives. My great great grandfather was John Martin from Hamilton then Vinemount. His wife was Sarah Hambly. To find someone in the area those name is Ronald Hambly Martin is quite a coincidence to say the least. John Martin had a habit of sticking the surnames Penrose or Hambly in as second names. This John Martin could have been this Ron Martin's grandfather. I'm just trying to see if anyone on the list knew him and if he had a daughter or son living in the area.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Is that ever strange. My great grandfather's name was also John Martin. What a coincidence.

My fathers side also did that by naming their sons middle names with other family surnames.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I would think that Martin is far from being an uncommon surname, that being said I have never met Ron Martin and I know of two other Martins that live or lived on the Beach. Old Mr. Martin who lived between Clare and Lagoon Ave, use to use his open fireplace for heat until one night when he caught the house on fire. The house is still there with some evidence of the fire still there, but Mr. Martin never came back after the fire and the house has been since sold. A new house belonging to a Martin family is being built in the low 900's; I was taking a couple pictures of the construction because of the unique construction, being a prefab home and I was talking with the new owners. I don't want to use their full name without permission, but the couple told me that they were from the Beach Strip and were Martins.
I asked the Dean of Information from Beach Rescue and told me that Ron Martin lived in the house about four south of the Dynes (next to Leo Griffin), he was married to Lola Hobbs with two sons and was a Rescue Unit member for many years. Apparently there is some relation to the Kinrades and to the Wallaces who owed land at Confederation Park, one of the houses that still stand (there are only two).

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
John Martin is an extremely common name. When I was trying to search out mine online I kind of gave up since there were too many to sort through.

But with having Drogo saying the same I meant that was strange.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Thanks for that info Scott
I can't see where I said Martin was uncommon. His name was Ronald HAMBLY Martin. Hambly is the strange part of the name and for me the combination of those two names is what made me think he could be related to my John Martin from Cornwall who moved to Hamilton then Vinemount. Sorry for the confusion.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks for that info Scott
I can't see where I said Martin was uncommon. His name was Ronald HAMBLY Martin. Hambly is the strange part of the name and for me the combination of those two names is what made me think he could be related to my John Martin from Cornwall who moved to Hamilton then Vinemount. Sorry for the confusion.
Yes, it doesn't sound like the same person. The Hambly middle name is odd(sorry, not common), would it be a close relative's surname, the mother's side possibly?

Last edited:

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
No Martin is in my Dad's family. John Martin married Sarah Hambly. This Ronald Hambly Martin has to be connected somehow. There are a couple of John's sons that we don't have all his children listed so it is probably one of his grandson's. We will find him. I didn't know that this Ron lived on the Beach. Interesting.

Top Bottom