Eastport Drive trail extension coming this fall

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator.

Steph Crosier
Getting to the Windermere Nature Area will be easier for Hamilton residents this fall.

The trail along Eastport Drive will be extended to allow better access for the residents of the Beach Boulevard neighbourhood and those who use the beachfront trail.

Cynthia Graham, landscape architect for the city, said the extension will allow residents quick access to Windermere Basin Park on bike, on foot or by other means not involving a car.

The extension, close to where Eastport meets Woodward Avenue, will cost $30,500.

The 60-metre-long strip of trail will be topped with limestone screening, making it less than ideal for inline skaters, but perfect for those who bike or walk.

“Its function is to have walkability in Hamilton, increase alternative transport, and promote healthy living,” said Graham. “The people in the area will be able to reach the trail easier, as well its health benefits, environmental benefits, and will encourage people to use their cars less.”

Michael DiBussolo, assistant manager at All The Right Gears bike shop, says he and his customers are excited for the new trail to open.

“All my customers use the beach trail,” said DiBussolo. “If they add a connecting trail to another area, I’m sure my customers will use it, too.”

In addition to the Eastport extension, Graham said the city is in its second phase of installing a 10-kilometre trail from Felker’s Falls along the escarpment to the Mount Albion Conservation area. A new initiative, the Spencer Creek trail, has also begun in Dundas.

scrosier@thespec.com

905-526-3390

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The first is an aerial photo from 2008, I have added the new section of trail that is to be constructed.

The next two are the exit and entrance parts to the basin trail.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Thanks for those pics Scotto. I bet the bird watchers are going to love that area. Too bad no parking in the area though.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks for those pics Scotto. I bet the bird watchers are going to love that area. Too bad no parking in the area though.
Yes there were lots of birds for the watchers and I notice that there were butterflies everywhere, must be migrating. There are maybe a hundred nesting boxes (bird houses) constructed all through the area. Might have to go back and take some more pictures.
If you look at the top right of the aerial photo, there is limited parking located there.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Construction is well under way for the new trail entrance to Eastport Part, the attached picture shows the new opening from the sidewalk and all the area sidewalks along Woodward Ave and Burlington St and being repaired and up graded.

Top Bottom