Family Beach History

Cablejockey

Sep 20, 2008
Hi all - I am following a article about my Grandfather who lived and died by accident in the beach area. I have included the article, l am looking for where the location is.

Thanks for any help in advance

Steve Fulton
<smfulton@gmail.com>

Burlington Man Killed by Car on Beach Strip

Burlington - This lakeshore community, fatality free for 13 years, today saw its second traffic death within three months. A father of two died from injuries received in an early morning mishap on the Beach Strip.

William Fulton, 32, of the Kinsey Cabins, Station 38, died in General Hospital at 3:45 a.m. from injuries received three hours earlier when struck by a car as he attempted to cross Beach Boulevard near his home.

A waiter at the Sherwood Inn, Mr Fulton was on his way home from work at the time.

According to the investigating officers, Constables Sam Peer and Steve Thompson, the accident occurred about 30 feet east of the junction of the Queen Elizabeth Way and Highway ?.

Mr. Fulton was in a collision with an east-bound car driven by Mr. Daboll of Ridgeville, Ontario. Police estimated the impact threw him 30 feet.

Mrs Fulton, watching from a window for her husband, was attracted by the commotion, and ran to the scene. She rode with her dying husband in the ambulance to hospital and was later reported to a state of shock.

The family had been living in their present home for about a month. Before that time they lived in Hamilton.

Mr Fulton had been working at the hotel for a couple of weeks. He was previously employed at the Supertest Station on Brant Street. Mrs. Fulton was a waitress at Anderson's Brunch Bar.

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
hamiltonbeachcommunity.com
Steve:
I'll give you any help I can, but first I'll need to know the date (date of article, date of death from the gravestone) as close as you can, and can you tell us in which paper that article appeared. It could have been Hamilton, or Burliington, paper, and several papers are possible, depending on the date.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Steve;
I can be of some help with the location, but Fred would know much more on the history side.

There use to be an off ramp to the QEW on the Burlington side of the Beach Strip where the Waste Water Treatment plant is now located. Just south of that off ramp, there was a lane of small cottages. These could of been Kinsey Cabins, Fred would know if Station 38 was near the cabins.

I have attached a picture of one of the cabins, taken June 1961.

BTW, thanks for joining the Beach Forum.:tbu:

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Looking over at our "Stations" thread I see that they seem the be numbered up to 24. The number 38 is a tad too high to be a Beach Station.
Could be a typo on the newspapers side.

Cablejockey

Sep 20, 2008
I thank you for all your help. His date of Death is Oct 31 1956. I will have to make a trip to Hamilton sometime to confirm his address at that time. But l do believe the address is correct. The paper that reported it was the Hamilton Spec.
Thanks agian
Stev

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I thank you for all your help. His date of Death is Oct 31 1956. I will have to make a trip to Hamilton sometime to confirm his address at that time. But l do believe the address is correct. The paper that reported it was the Hamilton Spec.
Thanks agian
Stev
Steve;
I talked to the person who gave me that photo, she did live for a while a long time ago and her memory is a little short, which is understandable.
She said it was the Kinsey Cabins or something very close to that. The name later changed to the Kinsey Motor Cabins.
Again the Station number is something that throws a wrench into things.
This was well before my time, but only remember that set of cabins or cottages on that side of the Beach Strip, up to about ten years ago there were many cottages on the lake side, located on the other side of the tracks (now the trail). The City of Burlington has had those all people evicted and all the buildings removed except for the old pumping station and one cottage.

Just to add, she had no memory of the Fultons or the accident.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
There used to be a highway entrance/Exit across from the school also. I"m not sure when that was put in or if it's anywhere close to where this happened.
Same type of exit/entrance to the QEW, but over on the Burlington side of the strip. It went under the Skyway for access to the northbound lanes. The one across from the school only serviced to southbound lanes.

Cablejockey

Sep 20, 2008
Thanks for all your help, but now this just creates other questions, like l said l am going to have to got to Hamilton to make sure the address is correct and see if they have any old maps of the highway.

Thanks agian

Steve

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks for all your help, but now this just creates other questions, like l said l am going to have to got to Hamilton to make sure the address is correct and see if they have any old maps of the highway.

Thanks agian

Steve
Steve;
Please let us know your findings, if I find more I will post it.
Thanks.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Scott,
"Looking over at our "Stations" thread I see that they seem the be numbered up to 24. The number 38 is a tad too high to be a Beach Station.
Could be a typo on the newspapers side."

Scott, can you post the link to the 'Stations' thread?

"Cablejockey
09-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks again"

Well since you have the date of death, by looking at telephone books for both Hamilton and Burlington for that year, you should find the address.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
09-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Looking over at our "Stations" thread I see that they seem the be numbered up to 24. The number 38 is a tad too high to be a Beach Station.
Could be a typo on the newspapers side.

Scott, in this thread quoating from the book 'The Sand Strip' you indicate that the radial stops went as high as 30. And that '30' was at the Brant Inn'.
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1064.html

So are you saying that 'station 38' wouldn't have been on the 'Hamilton Beach', but rather north of the canal?

Interestingly, the 'Sand Strip' doesn't give a station 38'. There were stations on the Burlington side after the Hamilton Radial was extended. Unfortunately the page that has this information is down right now. .

scotto
10-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Also from the book The Sand Strip;
The following is a list of the old radial stations or "stops" across the Beach as remembered by several long-time residents. Not all agreed on all of the locations, so this list contains some compromises. When the radials stopped running, the same zones were adopted by the Canada Coach Lines buses.
Station
# 2 - Beach Road;
# 4 - Dynes Hotel;
# 5 - The Fresh Air Camp;
# 6 - Beach Bungalow School (lakeside) and Ryan's Drugstore (bayside);
# 8 - Holiday House;
# 9 - South park Avenue;
#10 - Bethel Chapel;
# 12 - Milligan's House;
#14 - The Murton House ("Cahill's Castle");
#16 - Sir John Gibson's House (bayside), Tuckett House (lakeside);
#18 - Just before the amusement park;
#20 - The Canal;
#22 - Old Virginia Restaurant;
#24 - McDonald Park;
#26 - White Towers;
#28 - The pump house cottage;
#30 - The Power House
The Brant Inn.

And from the start of the thread....

Cablejockey
09-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi all - I am following a article about my Grandfather who lived and died by accident in the beach area. I have included the article, l am looking for where the location is.

Thanks for any help in advance

Steve Fulton
<smfulton@gmail.com>

Burlington Man Killed by Car on Beach Strip

Burlington - This lakeshore community, fatality free for 13 years, today saw its second traffic death within three months. A father of two died from injuries received in an early morning mishap on the Beach Strip.

William Fulton, 32, of the Kinsey Cabins, Station 38, died in General Hospital at 3:45 a.m. from injuries received three hours earlier when struck by a car as he attempted to cross Beach Boulevard near his home.

A waiter at the Sherwood Inn, Mr Fulton was on his way home from work at the time.

According to the investigating officers, Constables Sam Peer and Steve Thompson, the accident occurred about 30 feet east of the junction of the Queen Elizabeth Way and Highway ?.

Mr. Fulton was in a collision with an east-bound car driven by Mr. Daboll of Ridgeville, Ontario. Police estimated the impact threw him 30 feet.

Mrs Fulton, watching from a window for her husband, was attracted by the commotion, and ran to the scene. She rode with her dying husband in the ambulance to hospital and was later reported to a state of shock.

The family had been living in their present home for about a month. Before that time they lived in Hamilton.

Mr Fulton had been working at the hotel for a couple of weeks. He was previously employed at the Supertest Station on Brant Street. Mrs. Fulton was a waitress at Anderson's Brunch Bar.

Were the Sherwood Inn and the Anderson's Brunch Bar located on Hamilton Beach? That won't help us figured out where the accident was, but it would be interesting to know.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The actual newspaper article is attached to one of the posts and it states that he was from the cottages at Station 28, there wasn't a 38 on the Beach.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
scotto
10-17-2014, 07:53 PM
The actual newspaper article is attached to one of the posts and it states that he was from the cottages at Station 28, there wasn't a 38 on the Beach.

Scott, the first post says ‘station 38’.

“William Fulton, 32, of the Kinsey Cabins, Station 38, died in General Hospital at 3:45 a.m. from injuries received three hours earlier when struck by a car as he attempted to cross Beach Boulevard near his home.”

And the book ‘The Sand Strip’ indicates that ‘station 30’ was at the Brant Inn. So did the radial go beyond . the Brant Inn? And if so, how far? And could there have been eight more stations? ________________________________________
I can't seem to locate a picture that showed some stops past the Beach listed, could be part of a Charles Cooper book that I no longer have.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks to Fred for finding this Spec article from January 18th, 1957.

Award Victim's Widow $9,000
The widow of a Hamilton man killed on the Queen Elizabeth Way last October 31, Mrs. Jessie; Fulton was awarded $9,000 in a Supreme Court settlement approved yesterday by Mr. Justice W. F. Spence.
Agreeing to the settlement was the defendant, Harry Burton Daboll, of Ridgeville, driver of the car that struck and fatally injured William Fulton while he was walking along the four-lane thruway near No. 20 Highway.
Mrs. Fulton filed the suit on behalf of herself and two children, Gregory and Susan Fulton. The latter had a total of $3,500 paid into court as their part of the settlement.
Thomas Beckett was counsel for the plaintiffs, while John Bowlby acted for the defendant.

Top Bottom