Ferret

Sonja

Apr 28, 2010
The blue castle
A ferret was seen loose this morning in Dieppe parking lot. It looks very young. Hoping it's someone's pet that got loose and not one that was purposely let loose. Domesticated ferrets cannot survive in the wild. It was last seen heading into the backyards towards the lift bridge.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A ferret was seen loose this morning in Dieppe parking lot. It looks very young. Hoping it's someone's pet that got loose and not one that was purposely let loose. Domesticated ferrets cannot survive in the wild. It was last seen heading into the backyards towards the lift bridge.
Good luck catching that, I will give it a try though with my camera.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I think I found your ferret, seen him this morning searching through the rocks on the Burlington side pier. He seems to know the area very well, he would pop up in a section of rock and a few seconds later he would show up much further away. It was tough to get a picture.

Untitled.jpg

Sonja

Apr 28, 2010
The blue castle
Wow, very impressive. Never expected you would actually get a shot if it. My brother told us it was more likely a weasel and from images we looked up that seems to be true. And from how you describe its behavior.Had no idea there were weasels around here.
Great job on the photo. Thanks for posting it.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Wow, very impressive. Never expected you would actually get a shot if it. My brother told us it was more likely a weasel and from images we looked up that seems to be true. And from how you describe its behavior.Had no idea there were weasels around here.
Great job on the photo. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks Sonja;
When I stopped by the same spot today, I knew that it wasn't someone's pet ferret. I thought that it was vey quick getting around all those rocks so fast, but there is more than one, in fact there are many. I seen four at one time along the rock wall. As shown in the last picture, if you look closely you can see three and there is another that is just to the left that is not shown. The picture is cropped so the quaility is crap.
So I think your brother is right, it(they) is not a ferret but of the same family, could be a weasel, fisher, or a marten.
IMG_1582.jpg
IMG_1634.jpg
IMG_1635.jpg
IMG_1636.JPG

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I was looking up martens and fishers online and they prefer the boreal forest areas. I have seen weasels at RBG hiking trails. But one wouldn't think they would be on the beach area. One would think they would be in a forest like the hiking trail. When I saw them at the trail they sure run fast.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I was looking up martens and fishers online and they prefer the boreal forest areas. I have seen weasels at RBG hiking trails. But one wouldn't think they would be on the beach area. One would think they would be in a forest like the hiking trail. When I saw them at the trail they sure run fast.
I didn't that they were around here at all, never seen one until they showed up here on the Beach.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Top Bottom