First Telephone on the Beach

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I agree, mostly, with the "never base history on a postcard". I know myself that I like to colour black and white pictures. I would think the basic picture is accurate but I wouldn't bet my life on the colours.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Well I think I’ve found some information that indicates that as late as 1954 the beach was still being serviced by a manual telephone switch board.

the news paper article ‘Operation Change Over Starts on Beach Strip’ in the thread ‘Beach Articles from 1956’
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/f...---------------------------------------------

says in part, “Hamilton Beach, Jan. 17 — Conversion from 25 to 60 cycle power began today, and is scheduled to be completed by January 24. The changeover will start between the northerly limits and First Avenue; from First Avenue to Cottage Grove on January 18; from North Park to Bclleview Avenue January 19; Bclleview to Morden Avenue Area January 20; Wright's Lane to Fitch Avenue January 23nd to Fitch Avenue January 23, and from Wark Avenue to the Windermere Cut-off on January 24. Ontario Hydro has said that approximately 4,000 domestic appliances will be changed, including washing machines, refrigerators, record players, and oil-burning furnaces. There will also be clocks, fans and other small items that will be converted or exchanged. All residents are being notified of the dates on which their equipment will be standardized.
Shortly after 8 a.m. on the day of changeover, Hydro technicians enter homes and business premises in the changeover area, making sure that all frequency sensitive appliances are disconnected. Information on matters pertaining to the change-over may be obtained by calling (Liberty 9-6581).

It is the telephone ‘number’ here (Liberty 9-6581) that caught my attension. This is what was known as a ‘Alphanumeric’ telephone number.

“The amount of letters at the start of the exchange-name which stood for the exchange’s ID-number, varied from country to country, and even from city to city within a country! The number of letters was usually the first two or first three in any given exchange-name. In the United Kingdom, three letters followed by four numbers (3L-4N) was the rule. So ‘Whitehall 1212′ would be “WHItehall 1212″, or 944-1212.

http://scheong.wordpress.com/2009/1...-the-confusion-of-alphanumeric-phone-numbers/

this system meant that a number couldn’t be dyled directly, or even dyled. The caller had to contact the switch board operator who asked for the required number.

“Later exchanges consisted of one to several hundred plug boards staffed by switchboard operators. Each operator sat in front of a vertical panel containing banks of ¼-inch tip-ring-sleeve (3-conductor) jacks, each of which was the local termination of a subscriber's telephone line. In front of the jack panel lay a horizontal panel containing two rows of patch cords, each pair connected to a cord circuit. When a calling party lifted the receiver, a signal lamp near the jack would light.[12]
The operator would plug one of the cords (the "answering cord") into the subscriber's jack and switch her headset into the circuit to ask, "Number, please?" Depending upon the answer, the operator might plug the other cord of the pair (the "ringing cord") into the called party's local jack and start the ringing cycle, or plug into a trunk circuit to start what might be a long distance call handled by subsequent operators in another bank of boards or in another building miles away.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange#Manual_service_exchanges

automatic telephone exchange, invented by Almon Strowger in 1888, gradually replaced manual switchboards in central telephone exchanges starting in 1919 when the Bell System adopted automatic switching, but many manual branch exchanges remained operational during the last half of the 20th century in offices, hotels, or other enterprises.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_switchboard

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It is the telephone ‘number’ here (Liberty 9-6581) that caught my attension. This is what was known as a ‘Alphanumeric’ telephone number.

“The amount of letters at the start of the exchange-name which stood for the exchange’s ID-number, varied from country to country, and even from city to city within a country! The number of letters was usually the first two or first three in any given exchange-name. In the United Kingdom, three letters followed by four numbers (3L-4N) was the rule. So ‘Whitehall 1212′ would be “WHItehall 1212″, or 944-1212.
I remember when it was common to use the term "Liberty", the "L" stood for "5" and the second letter "I" stood for "4" as shown on any phone. So the number would be 549-6581. Most numbers in the Hamilton east end started with 54, you can any number now.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
David O'Reilly
10-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Scott,
“In the late 1800's, the telephone was a miraculous new gadget. On September 24, 1877, a Mr. Black, a telegraph company official came to the Ocean House on the beach to disconnect the telegraph wire for the winter. He brought a primitive telephone and connected it up with similar equipment set up at the Burlington telegraph office. Unfortunately the experiment produced a good deal of static. Regular telephone service first came to Burlington in 1885.”

In my subsequent post to Scott’s, I asked, ‘would a nonrailroad building have had a telegraph system’. And it seems that the answer, is ‘yes’. For in 1879, Captain Campbell sent a telegram from the beach to the Hamilton Fire Department.

There was a hot time at the Canal on Friday, 30 May. The Spectator had this to say:
"The piers at the Canal have had many escapes from being consumed by fire during the last two or three years, the cause generally being sparks from passing steamers. Friday was a particularly bad day on account of the very high wind which prevailed and the north pier took fire, near the west end about half past two in the afternoon, the general feeling being that it was caused by the steamer FLORENCE. It was observed by Capt. Campbell shortly after it started and he, along with several citizens of the Beach, proceeded with their buckets, as they had done many times before, to the scene of the blaze. This time, however, their efforts were in vain. The flames spread along the pier with amazing rapidity and it was soon apparent that something more than this primitive style of firefighting was needed. The wind blew burning embers along the pier, starting numerous fires and forcing the retreat Of Capt. Campbell and his crew. About 3:00 p.m. the steamer ECLIPSE came into the canal and landed her passengers. She then crossed over and with her crew manning their fire-hose, began to make some progress until she had to leave to tow some schooners through the Canal. At 4:00 p.m. a telegram was sent to the City and the fire alarm was sounded. The firemen, who had just finished subduing a fire at the Great Western Wharf, got out their old Phoenix engine and loaded it on a flat-car on the H. & N. W. Ry. They arrived at the Canal about 5:00 p.m., after a run of 13 minutes, to find that the pier under the swing bridge was blazing fiercely. After a short battle, the firemen had the situation under control, but nearly half of the pier was badly damaged. The captain of the FLORENCE, although he had a fire pump and hose, did not choose to get involved."
http://www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/documents/brookes/default.asp?ID=Y1879

the only question that remains is, did Captain Campbell use the telegraph system at the Ocean House, or did he have his own telegraph key in his house.

Drogo, if you have the time, can I ask you to take a look at Captain Campbell’s records for the 30th of May 1879, and see if he indicates where he sent the telegram from?

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Hi David
I haven't heard from you in awhile. It was Capt. George Thomson who kept the daily journal that survives and is a vital source of information spanning years. Capt. Thomas Campbell is said to have kept notes on his time at the lighthouse but they don't seem to exist any longer. All there is are a few news articles he did for the Burlington Gazette in the last 1800s. I sincerely do not think the telegraph was at the Lighthouse or on that property. Why I say this is for one reason you had to be a telegraph operator to know how to send messages. For the second reason it was a service anyone could use and was operated for the general public to be able to get a message to someone. Anything on the government land that included the lighthouse, lightlhouse keepers cottage or the ferrymans shack were part of the running of the canal and therefore paid out the government money that the lighthouse keeper got monthly. He paid himself, the ferryman and some of the daily necessities. If he had major work to do or accidents or the fire above that money was applied for (I have looked at many of these) and issued seperately to the lighthouse keeper to pay. When he applied he would say how the accident happened and if there was someone who's fault it was he would say that and recommend that they be made to paid for the repairs. For example one ship came in and sparks from there cook fire were blown in the high wind onto the pier and caught fire. They were made to pay for the repairs. When the P E Young came in during a storm the bridge wasn't up and she lost her mast. It was found the bridge master was likely asleep and the P E Young got her repairs paid for.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Drogo
10-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi David
I haven't heard from you in awhile. It was Capt. George Thomson who kept the daily journal that survives and is a vital source of information spanning years. Capt. Thomas Campbell is said to have kept notes on his time at the lighthouse but they don't seem to exist any longer. All there is are a few news articles he did for the Burlington Gazette in the last 1800s. I sincerely do not think the telegraph was at the Lighthouse or on that property. Why I say this is for one reason you had to be a telegraph operator to know how to send messages. For the second reason it was a service anyone could use and was operated for the general public to be able to get a message to someone. Anything on the government land that included the lighthouse, lightlhouse keepers cottage or the ferrymans shack were part of the running of the canal and therefore paid out the government money that the lighthouse keeper got monthly. He paid himself, the ferryman and some of the daily necessities. If he had major work to do or accidents or the fire above that money was applied for (I have looked at many of these) and issued seperately to the lighthouse keeper to pay. When he applied he would say how the accident happened and if there was someone who's fault it was he would say that and recommend that they be made to paid for the repairs. For example one ship came in and sparks from there cook fire were blown in the high wind onto the pier and caught fire. They were made to pay for the repairs. When the P E Young came in during a storm the bridge wasn't up and she lost her mast. It was found the bridge master was likely asleep and the P E Young got her repairs paid for.

Hi Drogo. Thank you. This gives me a much better picture of what the lighthouse keeper’s duties were. If there were any others that haven’t already been specified, can you outline them? in the case where the sparks from a passing ship caused a fire on the pier, how did the lighthouse keeper insure that the ship owner payed for the damages?

And given that the bridge abutments for the 1896 road swing bridge were built on the canal property, did the lighthouse keeper have any responcibilities there as well?

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
06-30-2013, 03:28 PM
In the late 1800's, the telephone was a miraculous new gadget. On September 24, 1877, a Mr. Black, a telegraph company official came to the Ocean House on the beach to disconnect the telegraph wire for the winter. He brought a primitive telephone and connected it up with similar equipment set up at the Burlington telegraph office. Unfortunately the experiment produced a good deal of static. Regular telephone service first came to Burlington in 1885.

Drogo, does the light house keeper’s diarries say anything about when telephone service came to the beach?

Sory, I can never remember which light house keeper it was who kept the extensive diaries, and the years involved. Can I ask you to create a timeline thread of all of the light house keepers?

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Drogo
10-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi David

Hi Drogo. If the telegraph service was for the use of the general public, who owned it? I thought all along that it was set up and owned by the railroad that ran along the beach. The Hamilton and Northwestern Railroad commenced opperating on the beach in 1876. So was there a telegraph system on the beach before that? And if so, do you have the name, and date that it started?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Drogo. If the telegraph service was for the use of the general public, who owned it? I thought all along that it was set up and owned by the railroad that ran along the beach. The Hamilton and Northwestern Railroad commenced opperating on the beach in 1876. So was there a telegraph system on the beach before that? And if so, do you have the name, and date that it started?
David;
I found this article from the Globe from 1881 which mentioned the telegraph;

News for July 20 1881

The schooner Oliver Mowat, a large vessel, while passing through the Burlington Beach Canal, let go an anchor, which fouled in the Montreal Telegraph Company's cable. The swing bridge across the canal had been opened for her to pass, but this she was unable to do for about three hours, when the cable broke and set her free. In the meantime an excursion train on the Hamilton & North-Western Railway, whose tracks runs down the Beach, had been waiting for the closing of the bridge to let it reach it's destination.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
A drawing of the Ocean House and surrounding area, I don't know if that is the telegraph office that is connected to the Ocean House.
Also I don't see telegraph lines, but they could of been left out.

Scott, do you have a date for this picture?

I think that the Ocean House was located immediately south of the canal. It seems that the telegraph cable between the beach and Burlington, was located at the bottom of the canal. So rather than being suspended on poles, the wires might have gone directly from the telegraph office into the canal.

“The schooner OLIVER MOWAT, entering the Burlington Canal on the 19 July, let go an anchor, which promptly hooked the Montreal Telegraph Company's cable. After fiddling around for three hours, during which time the swing bridge was held open with a train waiting, they succeeded in breaking the cable.”

http://www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/documents/brookes/default.asp?ID=Y1881

19 December 1846 marked the inauguration of the telegraph in Canada. This major development in communications was pioneered by the Toronto, Hamilton and Niagara Electro-Magnetic Telegraph Company whose line then being built between Toronto and Queenston carried the first message, from the mayor of Toronto to his Hamilton counterpart. To most Canadians the early telegraph was an expensive novelty but both the press and business soon adapted it to their use. In 1852 the successful but limited Toronto, Hamilton and Niagara enterprise was bought by the larger Montreal Telegraph Company.

http://torontohistory.org/Pages/Canadas_First_Electric_Telegraph.html

so as there wasn’t a railroad (or even railroads) between Queenston and Toronto in 1846, the Hamilton Toronto and Niagara Telegraph Company, wasn’t affiliated with a railroad. And given that the early telegraph system was used for commercial purposes, I wonder if the Ocean House, (which opened in 1875) http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2165.html
didn’t have telegraph service totally separate from the railroad that ran along the beach, and maybe even before the commencement of that railroad. In other words, if it ran its own telegraph wire across the canal to Burlington.And this post by Scott, refers to ‘a telegraph company official’ (not a railroad official) in 1877 coming to the Ocean House to disconnect the telegraph wire.

scotto
06-30-2013, 03:28 PM
In the late 1800's, the telephone was a miraculous new gadget. On September 24, 1877, a Mr. Black, a telegraph company official came to the Ocean House on the beach to disconnect the telegraph wire for the winter. He brought a primitive telephone and connected it up with similar equipment set up at the Burlington telegraph office. Unfortunately the experiment produced a good deal of static. Regular telephone service first came to Burlington in 1885.

The Hamilton and North Western Railroad began running along the beach in 1876 or 1877. It would be interesting to know if the Ocean House had telegraph service when it first opened.

I should point out that an e-mail reply from Charles cooper the author of ‘Hamilton’s Other Railroad’ indicated that he didn’t discuss the telegraph system used by the H&NW.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
David emailed me and then asked I post my reply on this thread. David asked if I knew the name of the phone company on the Beach.

David the only company I ever heard of was Bell Telephone. That is what it was called when I was young and on a party line. Today it's Bell Canada but it's still the same company. They had a monopoly. When I was young on a party line you just tapped the cradle and the operator came on and you said I want to talk to Mary Filman and when rang that house.

David then responded

Peggy, so obviously the type of telephone that you are referring to, didn't have a dile. It would be great if you would add your knowledge. Did the telephone that your family had when you lived on the beach, involve an ear piece on a wire, with the microphone attached to to the unit on the wall? Or is that much earlier?

My reply

David
I have the daffodil phone here without the dial but ours had a dial on the base with I believe a 3 digit number but we didn't get phone books at the house so if you didn't know the number you jiggled the cradle and the operator put you through. This phone was in Aldershot.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Drogo
01-11-2016, 10:54 PM
David emailed me and then asked I post my reply on this thread. David asked if I knew the name of the phone company on the Beach.

David the only company I ever heard of was Bell Telephone. That is what it was called when I was young and on a party line. Today it's Bell Canada but it's still the same company. They had a monopoly. When I was young on a party line you just tapped the cradle and the operator came on and you said I want to talk to Mary Filman and when rang that house.

David then responded

Peggy, so obviously the type of telephone that you are referring to, didn’t have a dile. It would be great if you would add your knowledge. Did the telephone that your family had when you lived on the beach, involve an ear piece on a wire, with the microphone attached to to the unit on the wall? Or is that much earlier?

My reply

David
I have the daffodil phone here without the dial but ours had a dial on the base with I believe a 3 digit number but we didn't get phone books at the house

Drogo, THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

Just so I understand. Did the phone that your family had when you lived on the beach, have a dile?

And, was there a telephone switch board located on the beach?

Dianne

Nov 30, 2016
Bell Telephone

sign 104.JPG sign 114.JPG hamilton ontario2.jpg

I own the Bell Telephone Co. sign in the Canada Archives photo (if you zoom in you will see a sign that says "Bell Telephone Co." on the left of the photo) http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_...&rec_nbr=3227561&rec_nbr_list=3545184,3227561

since the only years it was called "The Bell Telephone Co." (the name on the sign) was 1877-1879,

(Prior to 1877 it was The Bell Patent Association and after 1879 it was the National Bell Telephone Company of Boston, and the International Bell Telephone Company.)

and

because "In 1877, Hamilton became the home to the first commercial telephone exchange in the British Empire, and the second such exchange in North America" and because of the age of the sign,

this led me to speculate it may have been the location of the first exchange;

however, the first exchange according to the Bell Historical Collection was "the property of the “District Telegraph Company of Hamilton” and at "6 Main Street East" in Hamilton and that there was a plaque mounted at that location in 1929 to commemorate that event.

according to the Bell Historical Collection, early Bell Canada phone books do not mention pay stations in Hamilton until 1882 and the first mention of Beach locations is 1883, although I cannot discern whether any could pinpoint the Keeper's Cottage location until 1897, which lists Capt. Campbell's pay station.

this Bell Canada information suggests the Keeper's Cottage pay station and archive photo is 1897; however, there is conflicting information to this as a conclusion and I'm hoping for input/information to sort this out:

1. this is listed on your site:
"In 1890 a telephone call was made by the Oakville harbor master, to Capt. Campbell at the Burlington Canal about The schooner W. J. SUFFELL, which was caught in a severe snow storm in Lake Ontario off of Oakville... Thanks to the old party-line telephones, every fisherman living along the Beach would have the word as soon as he did. It would be but a few minutes before the first pair of heavy boots would be clumping across his porch...”
http://www.maritimehistoryofthegreat...t.asp?ID=Y1890

2. none of the Bell phonebooks from 1883-1900 list Tom LePatourel or his address as a pay station or agent, yet this is posted-
"Tom LePatourel was Bell Telephone's first company agent for the village, providing switchboard service himself before 1900, on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and on Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m. Bell would not provide 24-hour service until there were 100 subscribers in 1900..."
http://images.burlington.halinet.on.ca/9124/data?n=13

3. the archives photo with the Bell Canada sign appears to have Tom and Mary LePatourel in the picture (that is according to my poor eyesight- if this is them, how are they associated with this pay station?).

4. the sign itself- "Most Bell signs were made of porcelain, but some early pay station and booth signs were made of wood or glass."

all other historical photos of Bell Canada offices I have seen thus far appear to be porcelain with a logo of a Bell and the added words "of Canada"

I also heard tell of an oral history that in 1877, telephones were installed to connect the City waterworks with the City reservoir. Prior to that, if the reservoir was too empty or too full, the reservoir keeper had to ride a horse across town to the waterworks. I realize that oral histories and internet sources cannot be deemed reliable, but quite often stories contain an element of truth (however small or backward that truth may be). has anyone heard that or had opportunity to review waterwork log books? could this have been a private exchange rather than a public one and therefore not listed in Bell phone books?

perhaps the sign and the archives photo are 1897 -end of story- but so many questions... and pieces that don't seem to fit....

update- *it appears the LePatourel connection is that they operated the telephone office in Burlington, not Hamilton... and that Capt. Campbell (the lighthouse keeper) may have been Tom LePatourel's brother-in-law (not brother) as Mary LePatourel's maiden name was Campbell? if that is Mary and Tom LePatourel in the Keeper's Cottage Archive photo, then perhaps the other man with the beard is Capt. Campbell?

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Mary-C-Campbell-LePatourel/9106567#/

http://heritage.bpl.on.ca/localhist/burhistory.htm

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Dianne;
Thanks for posting the old Bell sign and the history behind it, where did you get it from??
The waterworks use to have a history person working there, he may have some info if he is still there.
H.L. Bastien ran a large boat building company at the foot of Picton St. on the other side of the harbour and the Ocean House would not been listed after 1895 as it burned down.
The picture you added (and attached below) of the Bell building and the Lighthouse Keeper's house, I don't see any telephone wire going to the building, but you can't see the whole building. The picture is clear but maybe a better one might shows more of the wires.
Also, the person standing in the middle of the picture with the dog, is in another picture standing beside a ship on the pier in the book Sandstrip. going look and see if there is a date on that.
I have zoomed right in to your sign in the Keeper's picture, there is a post attached to the building which holds your sign, written on there is Burlington Beach. Attached to the left is another sign but I can't make out what is written on that. Maybe the original will shed a bit more info.

Lightkeepershouse1.jpg

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
According to an article from the Spectator dated May 1874, H.L. Bastien had a boat house across from the Ocean House.

BEACH AFFAIRS​
The Parks Committee Won't Endure the Encroachment of Squattters.
Yesterday afternoon the parks committee went to the beach, inspected the city property there, decided upon certain improvements and resolved to take action to defend the city from individuals who are encroaching upon its rights.
The G.T.R. authorities will be asked to take down those portions of its fence along the lake front which are built across the city's six side roadways between lots 1 and 50, so as to leave those roadways without obstruction, from the main road to the lake.
P. D. Crerar will be notified to remove a boat house which he has built on city property.
The committee refused to grant H. L. Bastien permission to extend his boat house opposite the Ocean house bar. The present boat-house occupies 46 feet of the water front, and Mr. Bastien took steps to expropriate some 60 feet more of the waterfront to build, so it is said, a candy store and residence.

Dianne

Nov 30, 2016
Reply to Scott

thank you for the information about H.L. Bastien. do you know of a map that marks his location and also the location of John Hughes? do you have any information about John Hughes or a picture of Capt. Campbell? I ordered an enlargement of the archives photo so hopefully it will clarify some of the issues. my mother got the sign for me many years ago from a sale because she thought it was a "neat sign". I am still sorting those pieces out and will comment further on that when I know more. what is striking to me is the age of the sign itself as compared to all other images I have seen thus far of other cities' first Bell signs... also The Bell Historical Collection has so far been unable to provide an image of an older or even similar Bell sign. attached are a few other picture of it. re: the Bell phone books- is there a way I can upload the .pdf? it is strange the only year Ocean House is mentioned is 1883.
P.S. the sign measures approx. 24.5" wide, 17.5" high, 2"deep and is double-sided.
sign 052.JPG sign 064.JPG sign 083.JPG sign 088.JPG sign 091.JPG

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
thank you for the information about H.L. Bastien. do you know of a map that marks his location and also the location of John Hughes? do you have any information about John Hughes or a picture of Capt. Campbell? I ordered an enlargement of the archives photo so hopefully it will clarify some of the issues. my mother got the sign for me many years ago from a sale because she thought it was a "neat sign". I am still sorting those pieces out and will comment further on that when I know more. what is striking to me is the age of the sign itself as compared to all other images I have seen thus far of other cities' first Bell signs... also The Bell Historical Collection has so far been unable to provide an image of an older or even similar Bell sign. attached are a few other picture of it. re: the Bell phone books- is there a way I can upload the .pdf? it is strange the only year Ocean House is mentioned is 1883.
P.S. the sign measures approx. 24.5" wide, 17.5" high, 2"deep and is double-sided.
I don't see Bastien or Hughes on any of my maps and I will check my Beach history books for a picture Campbell. I searched the site and the name Hughes comes up but mostly for residents past and present but the past is mostly around the 1950's. I do see the name Hughes mentioned twice in some older articles. One states that an icehouse belonging to Hughes is being filled in near Stop (Station) 12. Also J. Hughes is mentioned in a 1895 Beach census.
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/f...895-Census-of-Beach-residents&p=9846#post9846
Same area as Station 12 (Fourth Ave now), so must be the same person.
And sorry, how big is the .pdf file. If it isn't huge, please send it to me and I will add it to your post.

Top Bottom