Gas Stations on the Beach

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Over the decades we have had, to my knowledge, four gas stations on the Beach. In the picture below two of those are shown, Charlie Stewart's ESSO and Albert's White Rose which was located just north of the Dynes Tavern. There was also a station that opened later on near the canal which was a BP station and the Texaco that was located across from the school playground.

A TPL photo from 1958 shows the location of the Texaco (blue arrow) which had many owners over the years, I remember a long time owner by the name of Don Roop. Other owners include, Henderson, Chovaz and Bigrig.The red arrow points at the property of the ESSO station which is not there. This was when Charlie Stewart owned the business and he demolished and rebuilt the station, owners of the old station included Manzer and Egan, another owner was L. Ludford.
The White Rose is just out of the picture.
TPLesso1958.jpg

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A few pictures of the stations from 1980 courtesy M. Neil.

The BP located near the canal, this station was one of many around Hamilton owned by the Montgomery family;
BP.jpg

The Texaco;
More info on the Texaco property; http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/threads/the-old-texaco-property.380/
Texaco.jpg

And what was the White Rose, in 1980 was titled the Turbo station;
Turbo.jpg

Another of the BP a couple years later now re-named as the Beach Station, this business did well at this location until a strike by Government workers closed the lift bridge to traffic and took away all their customers.
Beach Station.jpg

Another possible gas station was the long gone building for the Skyway Lawn Equipment, I recall a concrete section out-front that would normally be the base for pumps, but I have never seen a picture of this being a working gas station.
Edit; This was another Beach service station, Walt Chapman's Supertest. Many of these service stations would of made a good business back in the day before the Skyway was built, after the Skyway was put into operation, most of their customers would no longer use the Beach Blvd.
Skyway.jpg

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Here are few from Ross Somerville, this is his brother Jim who was working at the ESSO across from the Dynes and north of the Rescue Unit. Ross informed me that the pictures are of the old station and that ESSO wanted the station replaced to keep up with the modern Texaco which was a short distance north on the Blvd.
Esso.jpg
Esso2.jpg
File0142.jpg

Another from Charlie Stewart when he bought the station from Manzer and Egan. That is the Dynes Tavern in the background.
EssoTruck.jpg

Before being modernized, the Texaco across from the school, K. Kenrade collection.
Texaco1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom