Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Jenni Dunning
The Hamilton Spectator
(May 4, 2010)
Today, Bry Loyst is gathering some rope and packing up a boat.

He's going alligator hunting in Hamilton.

The Indian River Reptile Zoo curator was called to Hutch's at Van Wagner's Beach Road yesterday after a one- to two-metre creature was spotted by Tom Badeau, a local wildlife photographer.

Loyst is navigating a large pond near Barangas On The Beach today to trap the creature, with the help of the city's conservation authority.

"All you need is a boat and some ropes," he said.

"We might have to wait until nighttime. Their eyes shine really bright. It's easier for locating."

Loyst said yesterday the creature is crocodilian, which means it's one of the world's 23 species of alligators and crocodiles.

He's working with the city's conservation authority to capture it.

Loyst first saw the reptile in Badeau's photo -- something dark and bumpy poking out of the water.

When Badeau took him and a conservation authority official to the site, he saw it for himself.

"I saw the eyes and nose way out in the lake with binoculars," he said.

No one from the Hamilton Conservation Authority could be reached for comment.

The reptile should leave the water in the daytime to sun itself because the water's so cold, but it's no danger to people, Loyst said. That's because the creatures only feed when the water is above 18 C.

"Obviously, it was someone's pet. Hundreds and hundreds are brought in every year from the United States to be sold as pets."

Loyst regularly catches alligators, including in London last year, that are abandoned in lakes and ponds when they grow too big for owners to keep, he said.

When this one's caught, Badeau said he wants to be there to get a real close up.

"Either me or the wife will be down there taking pictures," he said. "When I first saw it, I just thought it was a stupid stick sticking up."

Badeau got suspicious when it disappeared underwater.

It wasn't until his wife, Carla, enlarged the photo at home that they realized the animal was likely reptilian.

"I'm trying to figure out who in the heck could be that dumb to put it in that pond," he said.

"(Finding it) really threw me for a loop."

If anyone sees the creature, they're asked to call the Hamilton Conservation Authority at 905-525-2181.

jdunning@thespec.com

905-526-3368

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Gator search comes up empty

Nicole O'Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator

Equipped with ropes and his bare hands, Bry Loyst spent Tuesday traversing a shallow, murky pond in Confederation Park searching for an elusive crocodile or alligator.

After several hours, the daytime search was called off in favour of a nighttime search, where Loyst’s crew and Hamilton Conservation Authority staff hoped to catch the reptile’s eyes that glow when flashed with light.

But after nearly another hour last night, no such luck.

The pond leads into the Red Hill Creek, which leads into the Windermere Basin and eventually Lake Ontario — though that would be quite the journey for a cold, scared reptile, experts said.

Loyst, curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo near Peterborough, was called in to find the crocodilian species after a local birder, Tom Badeau, discovered the reptile and sent a photo to the authority Monday. The distant photo shows what looks like a small gator poking its head out of the water.

Despite no sightings yesterday, Loyst said he is quite sure based on the photo and a far away sighting Monday that it was one of 23 crocodile or alligator species.

But he and authority searchers were satisfied after last night’s effort that it is no longer in the area.

No further searches are planned unless there are new sightings.

The animal must have been released from captivity, he said, adding that unfortunately people who keep reptiles as pets often release them when they get too big.

And though he cautioned the public to stay away from the suspected gator if spotted, he said there is no serious public risk.

The greater concern is the survival of the reptile.

Crocodilian species do not eat in temperatures below 18 C and the cold temperatures make them slow, Loyst said. They can survive a year without food, but cannot survive winter temperatures.

Conservation authority assistant ecologist Lisa Jennings said it’s hard to say how often animals are dumped into local ecosystems since offenders are rarely caught.

Last year, the spawn of illegally dumped goldfish had to be removed from ponds in the Dundas Valley because they ate the eggs of endangered Jefferson salamanders and other native amphibians.

In the same pond where crews searched for the gator, there was also an exotic turtle species — a red ear slider — that had to have been dumped, Jennings said.

“Education is No. 1 when it comes to owning exotic species,” she said. “Take it too a zoo, the SPCA, where you purchased it.”

The Confederation Park pond is also home to many birds, carp — which could be seen spawning in the shallow water — and turtles including snapping turtles, a “species of concern” under the Endangered Species Act. But a gator would be of no threat to them.

noreilly@thespec.com
905-526-3199

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
No sign of Confederation Park croc

Conservation authority says creature is no longer in the area

May 05, 2010
Nicole O'Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator
(May 5, 2010)
Equipped with ropes and his bare hands, Bry Loyst spent yesterday traversing a shallow, murky pond in Confederation Park searching for an elusive crocodile or alligator.

After several hours, the daytime search was called off in favour of a nighttime search, where Loyst's crew and Hamilton Conservation Authority staff hoped to catch the reptile's eyes that glow when flashed with light.

But, after nearly another hour last night, no such luck.

The pond leads into the Red Hill Creek, which leads into the Windermere Basin and eventually Lake Ontario -- though that would be quite the journey for a cold, scared reptile, experts said.

Loyst, curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo near Peterborough, was called in to find the crocodilian species after local birder Tom Badeau discovered the reptile and sent a photo to the authority Monday. The distant photo shows what looks like a small gator poking its head out of the water.

Despite no sightings yesterday, Loyst said he is quite sure based on the photo and a far-away sighting Monday it is one of 23 crocodile or alligator species.

But he and authority searchers were satisfied after last night's effort it is no longer in the area. No further searches are planned unless there are new sightings.

The animal must have been released from captivity, he said, adding that, unfortunately, people who keep reptiles as pets often release them when they get too big.

And, though he cautioned the public to stay away from the suspected gator if spotted, he said there is no serious public risk.

The greater concern is the survival of the reptile.

Crocodilian species do not eat in temperatures below 18 C and the cold temperatures make them slow, Loyst said. They can survive a year without food, but cannot survive winter temperatures.

Conservation authority assistant ecologist Lisa Jennings said it's hard to say how often animals are dumped into local ecosystems since offenders are rarely caught.

Last year, the spawn of illegally dumped goldfish had to be removed from ponds in the Dundas Valley because they ate the eggs of endangered Jefferson salamanders and other native amphibians.

In the same pond where crews searched for the gator, there was also an exotic turtle species -- a red ear slider -- that had to have been dumped, Jennings said.

"Education is No. 1 when it comes to owning exotic species," she said. "Take it too a zoo, the SPCA, where you purchased it."

The Confederation Park pond is also home to many birds, carp -- which could be seen spawning in the shallow water -- and turtles including snapping turtles, a "species of concern" under the Endangered Species Act. But a gator would be of no threat to them.

Animal control bylaws vary among the former municipalities that amalgamated into Hamilton, said city spokesperson Debbie Spence. A "gator-type" animal is prohibited in the city, Dundas and Stoney Creek, but falls under the zoning bylaw in Ancaster and Flamborough. Exemptions include pet stores, veterinary clinics and, in some areas, educational or display purposes.

Paul Kennedy, The Reptile Man, and owner of The Reptile Store on King Street East, said it's a shame a few reptile owners ruin things for the responsible ones.

He has a 6 1/2-foot caiman and a seven-foot alligator that he uses for educational purposes in his store. Knowing how big these reptiles can get, he built large cages and keeps the water between 27 C and 32 C.

During the early years of his business, which has been open 11 years, Kennedy said he sold some crocodilians and some people brought them back when they got too big.

He said fear over gator or croc attacks is often overblown.

"I'd rather take a big alligator out of someone's yard than a big dog," he said.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
the photo on the news looked pretty real
I was was at the pond yesterday and was talking to the fellow that took the picture, he had a real nice camera and showed me the spot that he seen the gator. He said it looked like a stick in the water until it went down, then he looked at the pictures. There is so much activity in the water that it is hard to spot it.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I want its head for my collection :shocked:
A croc beside all those pig heads?:D I stopped by the ponds yeaterday and thought I had seen it, it was pretty far away and looked like a croc (I guess that is what they are calling it now) in the water sticking it's nose up once in while for some air. When I got home and checked up close on my PC, it was just a big turtle.
Have a look-
IMG_1461.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
While scanning the waters for any sign of the "crocodilian", I couldn't help but notice the abundance of wildlife in this area. I drive by the ponds a couple times a week and really never notice.
I have attached a few pics of some of the "creatures of the swamp", the ones the would at least stand still for second so I could take a picture or weren't hiding somewhere(coyotes).

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

Muskrat.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Great pics Scotto. That sure is a big turtle.

I really like the pic of the terns.
Thanks Sharla;
There were numerous other birds as well that were near impossible to get a picture of because they didn't stop and were far too fast for a decient shot. This place is really a gem right under our noses, I hope the new trail through these ponds doesn't disrupt the natural habitat.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Yea RBG had closed off certain trails over the years due to disturbing the wildlife. And I am all for trying to save wildlife as much as possible.

Are those from the ponds closer to Confederation on the south side?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yea RBG had closed off certain trails over the years due to disturbing the wildlife. And I am all for trying to save wildlife as much as possible.

Are those from the ponds closer to Confederation on the south side?
Well yes and no, the spot where the wildlife photographer took the pic of the croc is very close to the south side. The problem is that parking is very limited and the future trail entance has a movable fence across it with a no trespassing sign. I park in the large Hutch's lot and walk down that way, from the north. It would be nice if the south end was open to the public, it save me a lot of time (that I don't have).

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
great pics once again Scott, a hidden secret I call it, I used to work at Condfed when it was a great park, not sure now, to commerical for my liking. just my.02 though.

The swans can be pretty nasty if you get to close, I am suprised they don't have signs up warning peeps.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
great pics once again Scott, a hidden secret I call it, I used to work at Condfed when it was a great park, not sure now, to commerical for my liking. just my.02 though.

The swans can be pretty nasty if you get to close, I am suprised they don't have signs up warning peeps.
Thanks waterlily;
I stay well away from the swans while nesting, they seem quite gentle with no young ones around. They will swim right up to you if they think you have something to eat, I never feed them though.

As for "Confed", the Trail has made it a little more crowded, but there have been many ideas to make it real commercial. Hotels was one idea and there are those who think a stadium would look good there. All pay parking? I rather leave it the way it is.

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Thanks waterlily;
I stay well away from the swans while nesting, they seem quite gentle with no young ones around. They will swim right up to you if they think you have something to eat, I never feed them though.

As for "Confed", the Trail has made it a little more crowded, but there have been many ideas to make it real commercial. Hotels was one idea and there are those who think a stadium would look good there. All pay parking? I rather leave it the way it is.
This paid parking scheme the city is on is going to create alot of problems.

Downtown Stoney Creek is fighting it now. With the amount of seniors who attend the legion and the local Tims for a outing will not pay to park. Some say the legion and Tims will close.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This paid parking scheme the city is on is going to create alot of problems.

Downtown Stoney Creek is fighting it now. With the amount of seniors who attend the legion and the local Tims for a outing will not pay to park. Some say the legion and Tims will close.
Councillor Collins has been trying his best to stop the pay parking at "Confed" as it is assumed that visitors will look to our section of the beach for free parking.

Top Bottom