HCA protests plan to fill harbour inlet

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I asked Jim today about Harris Inlet and Secord's Bog, Harris Inlet and the turtles were left alone by the Port, but the Bog has had some commercializing done to it to the point that the Port might as well completely fill it in. Remove the tree line and all the vegetation and it isn't much worth to the wildlife. A little further south, the City has done a great job on cleaning up and revitalizing Windermere Basin.

The top left of this picture shows the entrance to Harris Inlet;

Edit;
This is a photo from 2006, Secord's Bog and Harris Inlet are clearly visible in the center;

The new Windermere Basin;

Sebastian

May 1, 2014
Beach Strip
Thank you Scotto - it is great info, and great photos too.
I suppose it is a partial victory, maybe the turtles will manage to move out to nearby Windermere basin.

I walked few times on North side of Windermere basin - there are trails and access from Eastport drive.
Do you know if it is possible to get to other side of Windermere basin and/or Harris inlet?
It seems to be its all locked down port area, but I may be wrong.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thank you Scotto - it is great info, and great photos too.
I suppose it is a partial victory, maybe the turtles will manage to move out to nearby Windermere basin.

I walked few times on North side of Windermere basin - there are trails and access from Eastport drive.
Do you know if it is possible to get to other side of Windermere basin and/or Harris inlet?
It seems to be its all locked down port area, but I may be wrong.
The turtles (and Barry Grey's picture) most likely saved the inlet in the end, but you are correct, the whole area is pretty well off limits to the public as is all Port lands. I have never visited the area, but I believe there is a commercial business at the very tip of the outlet and staff use it as their lunch spot. I don't know if the general public can access that place.

Top Bottom