Head of the Lake

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
There was quite an explannation before about the "Head of the Lake". It was felt that there was no place that was actually known by that name. For 3 days now I have been reading War Losses 1812-1814. Other than going blind I have learned much. One thing of interest is that out of literally thousands of paid out claims only 3 people were listed under Township as Head of the Lake. They were Augustus Bates, George Chisholm and Catharine Brant. They listed every little town in what we would refer to today as the Golden Horseshoe. Many in Nelson, Trafalgar, Ancaster, Dundas, Saltfleet, Barton etc. (from Newark to York) but only Brant's Plot did not belong to any of them. Land on this small area was recorded by the British Forces as Head of the Lake. It may have been bastardized later but it was once recognized as a pinpoint on a map. I can scan the sheet with Catharine Brant and Augustus Bates on it if anyone is interested for posterity. What I am working on here is a 3" binder of ledger sheets the British used as their accounting of the cost of the War. The handwritten claims themselves have furnished great information on the Outlet Fort.
FYI- This ledger has a brief description of the claim and the submitted loss. Not being versed in the British pound system I think it reads pounds, shilling and pence. Only one person got what they asked for. If anyone got close (not in full) to their claim they were only paid in straight pounds. Catharine Brant claimed for 252 15 0. She was paid 252 15 0. That might be respresentative of the esteem that name held. Also her claim didn't include windows. I have her hand written claim that is more extensive than the summary in the ledger.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks for sharing that with us Peggy!
In my book titled, Hamilton Centennial 1846-1946, the name Head of the Lake is mention many times. The author doesn't come right out and state that it is Hamilton, but that is what you led to believe. I guess that would include the Beach as well which I don't believe was officially part of Hamilton back then.

And this;
http://1812now.blogspot.ca/2012/06/june-5-1812-captured-ship-and-legal.html

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I wouldn't doubt it Scott. The timeframe I found it referring to Brant's Plot was 1815 to 1820. There wasn't even a Hamilton then. The whole area on the southwest side of the Bay was referred to as Barton. The Beach was definitely Saltfleet. Nelson came right to the lake. History wouldn't be so intriguing if they stuck to their stories but things changed constantly as they are still doing today.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
David sent this link in and I looked into it further and found some info I thought would fit in well in this thread.

From David;
Brant Tract, No. 3 ¾

of His Britannick Majesty, have given, granted, bargained, sold, aliened,
released, conveyed, and confirmed, and by these presents, Do give, grant,
bargain, alien, release, convey, and confirm unto His said Brittannick
Majesty, and to His heirs and Successors forever, a certain tract or parcel
of Land, butted and bounded as follows, to wit, Beginning at the outlet (so
called) between Burlington Bar and Lake Ontario, and thence extending down
the said Lake on the North shore thereof about one mile or more to a Creek,
falling into the said Lake, called by the said Messissague the former
purchase line from the said outlet and carrying the full breadth between the
said lines, full so far as to contain Three thousand four hundred and fifty
acres.

https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1370372152585/1370372222012

But checking the link shows some info on the Head of the Lake Treaty from 1806;

Head of the Lake Treaty No. 14
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR'S OFFICE, YORK, 12th September, 1806

THIS INDENTURE, made the fifth day of September, in the Year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and six, between Chechalk, Quenepenon, Wabukanyne, Okemapenesse, Wabenose, Kenonecence, Osenego, Acheton, Patequan and Wabakagego, Principal Chiefs, Warriors and people of the Missisague Nation of Indians of the one part and His Majesty George the Third, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland King, Defender of the Faith, of the other part. Witnesseth: that the said Chechalk, Quenepenon, Wabukanyne, Okemapenesse, Wabenose, Kenonecence, Osenego, Acheton, Patequan and Wabakagego in consideration of five shillings apiece of lawful money of Great Britain to them in hand paid His said Majesty at or before the ensiling and delivery of those presents (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledge) and for other good causes and considerations them the said Chechalk, Quenepenon, Wabukanyne, Okemapenesse, Wabenose, Kenonecence, Osenego, Acheton, Patequan and Wabakagego, hereunto specially moving, have bargained, and sold, and by these presents do, and each of them doth bargain and sell unto His said Majesty, His heirs and successors, all that parcel or tract of land situate in the Home District of the Province of Upper Canada, containing by admeasurement eighty-five thousand acres, be the same more or less, together with all the woods and waters thereon lying and being, which said eighty-five thousand acres of land are butted and bounded or may be otherwise known as follows, that is to say:

Read full work;
https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1370372152585/1370372222012#ucls14

William Chisholm (1788 - 1842)
Son of a loyalist

William was born 15 Oct. 1788 in Nova Scotia to George Chisholm and Barbara McKenzie and came to Fort Erie, Upper Canada with the family in 1792. The family then moved to the Head-of-the-Lake on land adjoining Joseph Brant's. In this sparsely settled wilderness the Chisholm brothers learned to speak the Mohawk language. In May of 1812 William married Rebecca Silverthorn.
Read More;
http://vitacollections.ca/burlingtonhistoricalsociety/2827392/data

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
This page has a reference to a 1816 map by Lieutenant Francis Hall of a trail going along the beach.

"Hall's Travels" has a good map of the Niagara Peninsula and adjoining territory. This shows two roads from Newark (Niagara) to Burlington Bay, one near the lake shore all the way, crossing Burlington Inlet and extending from there back to Dundas; the other from Lewiston ferry, mostly near the foot of the escarpment, all along to Dundas; one road from Chippewa to Ancaster, above the escarpment; two roads, one on each side of the Chippewa River, from Chippewa to Canby Town, from where two roads go toward Lake Ontario and one, somewhat roundabout, to Ancaster and one road from Fort Erie along the shore of Lake Erie to some distance beyond the Grand River.

http://www.transportsourcebook.ca/w...ety/yr1919-early-roads-and-transportation.php

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I think I found the map. Hall's map 1816
PS. The map is full size so click to open then click again to go to full size.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Would appear at that time the water was higher and it didn't join to the Beach proper. Yeah I think it's the pennisula and Crook's Island as one and not joined to the Beach.

Top Bottom