heritage Calendar

bill

May 14, 2005
I would like to thank that "Scotto guy" for sending me the Beach Heritage Calendar. I must admit I was up all night trying to visualize the Beach as I have known it and the vivid versions of the past. The picture of the Hamilton Yacht Club blew me away! Such a wonderfull building. The aerial pictures of the Beach in 1954 had me mesmerized. The road had obviously changed for the new bridge (the one that now stands) but where is the old Cottage Inn restaurant and the bowling alley? I was also amazed that the Hamilton bay side of the strip had at one time a great looking beach. The picture of the Buggy brigade protest was great testament to the resolve of the community that is still fighting to this day for their survival. The picture of the Lakelands Pool brought back a flood of happy memories! And, of course, the bridge where my father worked for many years (and I know certain administrators of forums work). The Beach has such a vibrant and interesting heritage I can only say that I'm very proud to be part of that past!

rbaker.1

Dec 4, 2006
How about Black bridge
The Canal beer joint the lights along the bay side by the bowilng alley where I saw Vaughn Monroe and his band. and went dancing..Angus Inn, all the traffic when the bridge was up. AM I GETTING OLD. The first time I was on the strip was in July 1941 going to Niagara from Toronto, in a model "A" at 30 mph. It took 4 1/2 hours and a numb bum.

Rae

Alex Rox

Sep 26, 2004
I would like to thank that "Scotto guy" for sending me the Beach Heritage Calendar. I must admit I was up all night trying to visualize the Beach as I have known it and the vivid versions of the past. The picture of the Hamilton Yacht Club blew me away! Such a wonderfull building. The aerial pictures of the Beach in 1954 had me mesmerized. The road had obviously changed for the new bridge (the one that now stands) but where is the old Cottage Inn restaurant and the bowling alley? I was also amazed that the Hamilton bay side of the strip had at one time a great looking beach. The picture of the Buggy brigade protest was great testament to the resolve of the community that is still fighting to this day for their survival. The picture of the Lakelands Pool brought back a flood of happy memories! And, of course, the bridge where my father worked for many years (and I know certain administrators of forums work). The Beach has such a vibrant and interesting heritage I can only say that I'm very proud to be part of that past!
THERE WAS A BOWLING ALLEY COOL

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yes we had a bowling alley, it was past the amusement park and the Cottage Inn was just past it. I don't remember the the dance hall, though it has been brought up before in another thread.
Rae, do you remember where it was located??
BTW, I don't know how I missed your post from way back.
The Black Bridge was near where Hutch's is now.

rbaker.1

Dec 4, 2006
Bowling Alley/dance hall

The bowling alley and the dance hal were one and the same building, I have been in both.
Had many a mean burger and fries at Angus Inn. and just across the bridge on the lake side was Callsonetti"s Chip stand I knew them well the boys and I did hang out toegther. Swimming on the bay, the lake was too cold, the arcade . I never did win anything with those balls.

If you go to Hutch's and look towards Hamilton you can still see the steel from the Black Bridge. Thats were Beach Road came in.

The strip is not what it used to be, after Hamilton annexed the strip all went to >>>>>>>>I won't say Hell. I my teens I delivered magazines to the store where the canvas shop is. I drove for O'Brien News.
OH! well.

I must dig out some of the pix I have.

Rae

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The bowling alley and the dance hal were one and the same building, I have been in both.

Rae
I believe we never did get a final answer to that question, some seem to think that it was another building or possibly I read the thread wrong, I will have to look it up again when time permits. Thx

rbaker.1

Dec 4, 2006
Yes we had a bowling alley, it was past the amusement park and the Cottage Inn was just past it. I don't remember the the dance hall, though it has been brought up before in another thread.
Rae, do you remember where it was located??
BTW, I don't know how I missed your post from way back.
The Black Bridge was near where Hutch's is now.
In 1943 The building was a dance hall. I used to come over on the Lady Hamilton, or was it the Hamiltonian, on Saturdays and fool around ande go to the dance.

The Hall became the bowling alley sometime later And dance jhalls were less attended, how sad, I still miss them. Pardon me if there are tears in my writings. Us Old guys get that way you know.

Rae

moondoggie

Apr 13, 2008
Used to be a pinboy at the bowling alley. Dangerous job for 10 cents a game. It was owned by a retired mailman I believe.

Top Bottom