Hydro One Cutting Trees

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
To all residents and people using the Beach Trail, Hydro One will be on the Trail cutting down some trees and trimming others. Expect them in very near future.
City officials and the Beach Council have met with Forestry personnel from Hydro and there is a management plan in the works so that not all that grows under the hydro lines has to be removed.
This is a much better result than what was told to me about five years ago when Hydro stated that every plant, shrub and tree was to be removed permanently.

The following was sent in by Councillor Collins;
As a follow-up to our meeting with Dan White of Hydro One, I put the following motion to the Public Works Committee yesterday:

g) MOTIONS (Item 9)

(i) Landscape Management Plan for the Beach Community Trail

(Collins/Powers)

That staff bring a report to the Public Works Committee on the feasibility and cost of funding a Landscape Management Plan for the Beach Community Trail, utilizing the Beach Park Reserve. CARRIED

I'll be sure to keep you posted on the matter.

Chad

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Well that's good news.

Wasn't there a plan to bury the hydro lines?
I had heard around, or by 2010.

W
I called forestry today and asked this question, their response was that there isn't a short term plan in place to remove the towers and their time frame is six years. That is past the 2010 you were told.
For a complete list of Hydro One projects covering the next ten years, go here-
http://www.hydroonenetworks.com/en/community/projects/transmission/

Hydro One Forestry plan to be on the Trail next Monday to start work.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I still have people asking about trees being cut on the beach, as I wrote earlier, the Beach Council, City Officials and Hydro One Forestry are working on a long term plan to end the cutting and removal of the trees.
I have attached two letters (pictures and logos removed) that everyone should of have mailed to them explaining the process. The first from Hydro One the other from Councillor Collins.

Forestry Services
850 Pond Mills Rd., LONDON, On. N5Z 4R2 Fax: (519) 649-3042 Tel: 519-643-6674

Hydro One - Forestry Towerline Maintenance Program
November 6, 2007
Project No; 10035
Line Section: Burlington X BeachRd Jet Circuit; BIO, B11, B18H, B20H Tower No; 28 - 47 Councillor Chad Collins - ward 5 City Hall - 2nd Floor
77 James St. N. --
Hamilton, Ont.
L8R 2K3
Dear Sir,
To minimize vegetation caused outages and to reduce potential safety hazards to the public, Hydro One Forestry Services must control vegetation in the proximity of the hydro towerline that runs through or adjacent to your property. This letter is notification that right-of way maintenance is scheduled for your property and you may require clarification where the work is to be performed. This service is restricted to the hydro towerline maintenance only.
We require acknowledgement for right-of-way maintenance from all property owners that our towerlines cross and so we request that you contact us at your earliest convenience.
The work will be completed in two stages:
• First, will be the low volume backpack treatment of all non-compatible brush located on the Hydro right-of-way. Compatible species such as sumac, dogwood, lilac, etc. will be carefully avoided where possible.
The low volume, backpack herbicide application will also be utilized to control the suckering of incompatible brush that could grow from the stumps of cut trees or brush removed. The cut stumps are treated with Garlon 4 (Registration #21053) and mineral oil which is a Federal and Provincially accepted herbicide used in Ontario. The work will be performed by Hydro One staff who are trained and experienced in the latest arboricultural practices and who are applicators, licensed by the Ministry of the Environment.
• Secondly, will be the pruning of branches away from power lines and the removal of any dead or hazardous trees along the sides of the hydro right-of-way.
To discuss any questions you may have regarding the work planned for your property, please call me at 519-643-6674.
Sincerely, Dan White
Forestry Technician Zone South

Councillor Chad Collins - Ward 5

November 13, 2007
Dear Resident:
The City of Hamilton recently received notice from Hydro One representatives
that forestry maintenance activities will commence the week of November 19th,
2007. In response to the advance notice provided, an onsite meeting was held with representation from my office, the City of Hamilton's Forestry Division,
Hydro One and the Hamilton Beach Preservation Committee.
At the conclusion of our meeting we agreed that a 'Landscape Management Plan1 would greatly assist the beach community in determining future replanting requirements and natural landscape improvements. I recently presented the following motion to the City's Public Works Committee, and it passed with unanimous support.

Landscape Management Plan for the Beach Community Trail
(Collins/Powers)
That staff bring a report to the Public Works Committee on the feasibility and cost of funding a Landscape Management Plan for the Beach Community Trail, utilizing the Beach Park Reserve. CARRIED

I will continue to work with Beach Preservation Committee representatives on the matter and will update the broader community with more information once it is made available to me.
Please do not hesitate to contact my office should you wish to discuss this matter further.

Chad Collins Councillor, Ward 5 Redhill
City Hall, 71 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5 Tel. 905 546-2716 Res. 905 545-3737 Fax 905 546-2535 E-mail: <ccollins@city.hamilton.on.ca>
Your Councillor,

smr714

RIP July 1969-April, 2009
Mar 15, 2004
Beach Blvd.
www.neopets.com
Looks like they took some whole trees that were not even in their way. Also Cogeco is working on cable upgrades over the next while on the strip. Some of us lost cable on Friday and it can happen intermentantly again.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
They butcherd some areas down at our end, cut out alot of sumach that was not even near the towers, a shame really.
Lets hope this will be the last of it, if we get some trees planted that don't grow high enough to worry Hydro's specs, then we won't see them here in the future.

Looks like they took some whole trees that were not even in their way. Also Cogeco is working on cable upgrades over the next while on the strip. Some of us lost cable on Friday and it can happen intermentantly again.
Thanks for the info smr, seen their sign on the blvd today and wondered what they were up to, didn't see any Cogeco trucks, just the sign.

Top Bottom