Hydro One is back

Baxman

Jun 18, 2019
I was just handed an info notice from hydro one that they are going to trim some trees along the path , remember last time they decimated it . I called councillor Chad Collins office and asked if they are aware and the said they were . Oh well not going to help with shore erosion 😖

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I was just handed an info notice from hydro one that they are going to trim some trees along the path , remember last time they decimated it . I called councillor Chad Collins office and asked if they are aware and the said they were . Oh well not going to help with shore erosion 😖
Thanks for the heads up, will get some pictures of the mess they will make.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sent in by Chad Collins

Councillor Collins:

In order to provide a continued supply of safe and reliable electricity to the City of Hamilton, Hydro One will be performing vegetation maintenance on three high voltage electricity corridors running from Beach Transformer Station (TS) to Stirton TS, from Beamsville TS to Beach TS, and from Burlington Transformer Station (TS) to Beach TS, please see the attached map.

Hydro One takes an integrated approach to vegetation maintenance. Work along the transmission corridor will include the removal of trees and shrubs from the hydro corridor, as well as the clearing of tower bases. Our Forestry crews will use the following methods to complete this work:

• Manual trimming and removals of trees and brush will be completed with portable equipment such as chainsaws and pruners. Bucket trucks and wood chippers will also be onsite, as required.
  • Garlon-RTU (Ready to Use) herbicide will be selectively applied to cut stems to prevent regrowth. This herbicide is applied via backpack and wand, directly to cut stems where manual work occurs. Our licensed applicators establish buffer zones where water is present, carefully asses and only bring the amount required, and obtain permission if herbicide is required on private property. This herbicide is never broad-sprayed, and signage is posted at the site of application.
Safety is our top priority, and we want to ensure that our communication with adjacent residents and community members is as prescriptive and transparent as possible. With this in mind, Hydro One will be delivering a Community Notice to all adjacent residents along the corridors, with information regarding our work. Please see attached the notices for the three projects. If work is required on private property, a Hydro One Forestry Technician will make every effort to contact the property owner in advance to discuss the work.

We recognize that in addition to housing high-voltage electrical equipment, this corridor provides vital green space to the community. To clear the corridor to standard, Hydro One Forestry crews will need to address non-compatible vegetation growth at Confederation Park, Adventure Village, and Red Hill Valley Trail. A Hydro One Forestry Technician has reached out to the City of Hamilton, Haudenosaunee Confederacy Chiefs Council, Adventure Village, and Hamilton Conservation Authority to discuss this work.

If you are interested, we would be pleased to arrange a meeting to discuss project details. As a champion and advocate for your ward, your comments or concerns are valued. If there are any local associations or interest groups that you would like us to contact in advance of work, please let me know.

All three projects are scheduled to be completed in 2019; I will provide an update when a start date for work execution has been confirmed. If you have any questions or require more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,

Andreea Nicoara

Community Relations Officer, Forestry

Hydro One Networks Inc.

483 Bay St | South Tower | 6th Floor
Toronto, ON | M5G 2P5

Tel: 1-877-345-6799
Email: Community.Relations@HydroOne.com

www.HydroOne.com

Past cutting by Hydro One
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/threads/tree-cutting-between-trail-and-lake.2434/

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
An email to the Beach Council;

At this time our crews will only trim the trees that have been identified by our Forestry Technician. The Forestry Technician determines the work scope in advance of work crews being scheduled to visit the site.

If new trees will be identified by the crews, we would re-notify to ensure the community is well aware of the change in scope.
Please find attached a map with the sections where trees have been identified for trimming.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions,
1 Siberian Elm.jpg
8 Siberian Elms.jpg

Andreea Nicoara

Community Relations Officer, Forestry

Hydro One Networks Inc.
483 Bay St | South Tower | 6th Floor
Toronto, ON | M5G 2P5

Tel: (416) 345-4690

Opie

Staff member
Mar 1, 2017
The Beach Strip
define " Hydro One will be performing vegetation maintenance" and the word "trim" please !

I would hate to think this will be a repeat of their last work which was clear cutting all trees.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi, moving to the area anything I need to know about owning a home on the beach? First time home owner...
Hi Elizabeth;
Welcome to the Beach, the lake level was the highest in history this year and is slowly going back down giving some of our beach back. We have only one pub and the rest I am sure you will pick up. There is also a couple of other Beach Sites that have info as well. What part of the Beach are you moving to?
I should start this as a new thread.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another email to the Beach Council

This email is to inform members of your group that Hydro One will be performing vegetation maintenance on the high voltage electricity corridors running from Beach Road Junction to Lake Transmission Station. Please see the attached map.

Hydro One is responsible to ensure that trees and other vegetation remain within a safe distance to the power lines and towers in Hamilton and across the province. This work is essential to prevent unnecessary power outages, ensure the area is safe for public use, and allow easy and safe access for our crews.

In your community, work along the transmission corridor will include the removal of trees and shrubs from the hydro corridor, as well as the clearing of tower bases. Work will be completed using both manual equipment, such as chainsaws and pruners, and heavy machinery, such as grinders and bulldozers. Support vehicles such as bucket trucks and chippers will be used where necessary.

At one of the entrances of Confederation Park, located just off Van Wagers Road, Hydro One has determined that a dense section of trees and brush will need to be removed to ensure the safety and reliability of the system. After the dense section of trees and shrubs is removed, our crews will seed with a pollinator mix to provide a habitat for bees, butterflies and wildlife. Please note that pollinator habitats take two years to reach full maturity.

Our crews will do their best to minimize any inconvenience for residents and users of the trails located on the corridor.

I have attached a community notice that can be distributed to your members. Additionally, City of Hamilton, Hamilton Conservation Area and the local Councillor have been notified about this work.

Please feel free to share this information with your members as you see fit. You can direct any inquiries about this work to Community.Relations@HydroOne.com or 1.877.345.6799.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Thank you,
Andreea Nicoara
Community Relations, Forestry

Hydro One Networks Inc.

Tel: (416) 345-4690
Email: Andreea.Nicoara@HydroOne.com

www.HydroOne.com

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
New sign from Hydro Qne stating that there could be some delays on the Trail as they work on the lines, we haven't received any tree trimming updates, so hopefully tower line work will be the job getting done.

HydroWorkSign.JPG

Top Bottom