Hydro One is Working on the Beach

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Just to let everyone, Hydro One is in the process of some emergency repairs. Many of the "conductors" (cables) have been found to be in very poor shape and need to be replaced, you may have seen a helicopter flying very close to the towers last month. At present, they are removing the weights and installing rollers, so watch for workers when using the Trail. The staging area for pulling the new cables will be located at the Go-Karts and Joseph Brant Hospital.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
When they were stringing the original cables (back in the 50's) we found it amusing to hoist a friend, who held onto the cable on one side of the tower, by pulling down on the cable on the other side of the tower. The cable, of course, was suspended on the roller and made it easy to move the cable. It took more than one person to do the down-pull since we were lifting the cable as well. I hope that there are no children reading this since it is not a hazard-free game. One guy fell off from a considerable height but didn't get hurt because of the sandy landing spot. I trust that the adults who read this post won't be tempted to repeat the exercise.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
When they were stringing the original cables (back in the 50's) we found it amusing to hoist a friend, who held onto the cable on one side of the tower, by pulling down on the cable on the other side of the tower. The cable, of course, was suspended on the roller and made it easy to move the cable. It took more than one person to do the down-pull since we were lifting the cable as well. I hope that there are no children reading this since it is not a hazard-free game. One guy fell off from a considerable height but didn't get hurt because of the sandy landing spot. I trust that the adults who read this post won't be tempted to repeat the exercise.
I remember those stories, but heard that someone did get injured? I was far too young to play on the cables back then and I won't bother this time around. :D

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Community Notice

Transmission Line Maintenance
City of Burlington and City of Hamilton

Hydro One has begun maintenance work on the transmission line that runs along the Lake Ontario shoreline in the City of Burlington and the City of Hamilton (see map on reverse). The existing transmission conductor (wires) and associated equipment have been damaged by high winds and must be replaced to ensure continued power supply.
This maintenance work will take place primarily on Halton Region Conservation Authority, City of Hamilton and Hydro One property and is expected to be complete by May 2010. To ensure public safety during construction, sections of the Hamilton Beach Trail will be closed for short durations so that equipment can be brought into the worksites (there will be no work or trail closures between December 19 and January 3). Hydro One will post signs at the trail access points advising of section closures. Construction will take place from Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. with occasional work on weekends.
We thank you for your patience, and apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause. For more information please contact:
Marylena Stea
Community Relations
Tel: 1-877-345-6799
Email: Community.Relations@HydroOne.com

Top Bottom