It's with a heavy heart that I announce

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Former Beach Bum, now in Stoney Creek
My heart breaks posting this.
Jimmy Lomax passed away this morning. He was an amazing man that did so much for the community.
I spoke with him a couple weeks ago. He phoned to see how the kids and us were doing. At the end of the conversation he did his usual, sent hugs and kisses to the kids and told me he loves us. I'm going to miss him. I grew up helping him with Operation Santa Clause. Getting dressed up to be his elves. Going to nursing homes and hospitals along with some house calls.
I always said "as long as there is a Jimmy, there is a Santa Clause."
Christmas will never be the same.

Rest In Peace Jimmy. You are with Ryan now. My thoughts and prayers are with Susan at this time.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Very much so. A good man he was.

I still say they should give the beach strip the nickname AKA Santa Claus Lane. They did it with Pat Quin.

He truly deserves that honour.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Very much so. A good man he was.

I still say they should give the beach strip the nickname AKA Santa Claus Lane. They did it with Pat Quin.

He truly deserves that honour.
He was waiting to have a new park named after him, it was the biggest of the new ones now under construction and to be completed in two weeks.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Not sure where the T-Ball diamond is. So not too far from the lighthouse then?

Or will it be on the Burlington side?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Santa legend Jimmy Lomax dies

Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Jimmy Lomax – Hamilton’s best-known Santa Claus – has died.

Lomax is best known for Operation Santa Claus, a charitable gift drive he ran with his wife Susan. He retired in 2010 after spending half a century handing out gifts to Hamilton’s needy in his well-known Santa suit. Lomax also worked at Stelco for 38 years.

Jim Howlett, who lived near Lomax on the Beach Strip, said the community was only weeks away from officially opening a neighbourhood park that was to be named in Lomax’s honour. However, Howlett said his neighbours had recently become concerned that Lomax wouldn’t make it to the Oct. 25 opening ceremony and were trying to speed the construction.

Howlett said he knew Lomax as “a very good man of unquestionable character.

“He was a guy with unquestioned devotion to his community – to many facets of the community, but particularly with children,” Howlett said. “For people who lived close to him – just to say “I lived across the street from Jimmy Lomax” is a big deal.”

Beach Strip resident Chuck Witherington was Lomax’s driver for Operation Santa Claus for 25 years. The pair also went to elementary school together at the now-closed Lloyd George Public School.

“We used to get into mischief…we just did what kids did, that’s all,” he said.

In later years, Witherington said Lomax was known throughout the community for his insatiable generosity.

“He was always ready to help somebody,” Witherington said. “If someone came to his door and needed something and he had it, he would give it to him.”

Lomax’s funeral service will be held on Saturday Oct. 15 at Laidlaw Memorial United Church.

Watch thespec.com for more updates.

Do you have a memory you’d like to share about Jimmy Lomax? Please email it to ereilly@thespec.com.

Top Bottom