Jim Somerville 1943-2006

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Last Saturday a park bench was dedicated in the name of Jim Somerville. Jim was an original beach bum and lived for many years at 195 Beach Blvd. The new bench is located on the Path behind Skyway Park. Many of Jim's friends and family were on hand for the ceremony (first attached picture) and his brother Russ was nice enough to fill me in with the history along with some old pictures.
This was the first bench dedication I have seen down here and what a great way to remember the man.
Thanks to all the Somervilles for their help and patience on Saturday!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Jim Somerville

Please see the attached picture of my brother Jim Somerville (1943 - 2006) a long time beach bum kid. This picture was taken at Jimmy Howards house (147 Beach Blvd) with one of his stock cars from the mid 50's.
Jimmy Howard was our neighborhood hero.
Please feel free to post the picture as most of the old timers will remember.
Cheers
Ross Somerville
Protection Island BC

Thanks Ross:tbu:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
nice pic thanks for sharing
Hopefully he sends us many more, attached are two more from today and the comments. Thanks again to Ross Somerville:beer:

Here are a couple more photos for your website.
Photo of my brother Bill (1940-1989) and my brother Jim (1943 -2006) on the tricycle. Of interest in this picture is the high water from the Hamilton Bay right up past our original house which was located at 9 Wark Ave. It went when the Skyway came. In the second picture is Jim again on the tricycle in front of our house on Wark Ave. Looks like my mom and dad were a little short of grocery money in those days...ha ha.
Cheers
Ross

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sent in by Ross Somerville;
I just had a look through the great photos on the Beach Fire Department / Rescue Unit.
There are a number of pictures with my dad in them and that was a nice surprise as he passed away when I was only 25 so seeing some of these old pictures is pretty neat.
Here are a picture of his BBFD (Burlington Beach Fire Department) badge number 9 and also his Beach Fire Department Inspector's badge which I still have both of. Thought these may be of interest to your site.
Cheers
Ross

Thanks again Ross:rock: I have merged an earlier thread of the Somerville memorial and this one, lots of good history from the Beach.
Scotto

Top Bottom