Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with full permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Oct. 14, 12:51 EDT
Lakeland pool in legal limbo
Contract dispute delays centre's construction
Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator
Construction of a new Lakeland pool and community centre is being held up by a contract dispute. But officials still hope to have it open by next July 1.

The $3-million project on Van Wagner's Beach Road in Confederation Park, is a joint venture by the Hamilton Conservation Authority and the Hamilton Waterfront Trust.

It will replace the present community centre and a once-popular pool that was filled in last year.

Tony Horvat, director of land management for the authority, reports James Kemp Construction of Hamilton submitted the low bid, but he won't say why work did not begin, only that: "It's a legal matter. It's not proceeding."

Kemp did not return a call from The Spectator.

Garnet Cowsill, authority spokesperson, says the board discussed the issue in camera last week and later voted to call new tenders.

Ward 5 Councillor Chad Collins, an authority board member, said his main concern is not missing the Canada Day target.

While construction prices are rising, Collins said the authority hopes to get a good price by tendering in the off-season when contractors are not as busy.

Horvat expects bidding to close at the end of November, so the authority and trust boards can both approve a contract in early December, with construction starting early in the new year.

In the meantime, at the urging of board member and Ward 4 Councillor Sam Merulla, the authority has agreed to look into sale of naming rights for the facility.

Horvat says research will be needed to see how that might be done, what sort of sponsors would be appropriate and what city policies might apply, because Hamilton owns the park.

The community centre is to take the form of a lighthouse, with washrooms and space for a food concession on the ground floor, a meeting room above and an observation deck on top.

The free-form, outdoor, leisure pool will have gently sloping sides for easy entry. There will also be a splash pad for small children.

emcguinness@thespec.com

905-526-4650

shamsson

Jul 30, 2004
Near Atlanta, Georgia
I remember that pool

Wasn't that pool adjacent to a restaurant called "The Wharf"? I remember going there as a kid. I was at the beach last weekend and boy did it bring back a lot of memories. I took a picture of the lot where the pool used to be and the wharf is now a property rental place.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
shamsson said:
Wasn't that pool adjacent to a restaurant called "The Wharf"? I remember going there as a kid. I was at the beach last weekend and boy did it bring back a lot of memories. I took a picture of the lot where the pool used to be and the wharf is now a property rental place.
Yes, I think it was the Wharf at one time, the Optimist Club have been using it for a few years now. There will be some big changes coming there very soon.

Top Bottom