Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
LANE RESTRICTIONS ON THE
BURLINGTON CANAL LIFT BRIDGE

- EXPECT DELAYS FROM DECEMBER
2009 TO MARCH 2010
Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) wishes to advise all local residents that temporary traffic lights will be installed on both sides of the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge in Burlington, Ontario. The lights will direct traffic, two lanes at a time, in one direction at a time. This change will be in effect from late December 2009 to March 18, 2010.
This traffic restriction will allow structural repair and repainting work to be performed.
Safety is a top priority for PWGSC and we are committed to ensuring the continued Integrity of the bridges we manage. We apologize for any inconvenience this temporary change may cause and thank everyone for their understanding.
For inquiries related to the bridge's operation, contact:
Assad Ghubril, Senior Project Manager
PWGSC
416-512-5766

rorush

RIP March 21, 1973 - February 07, 2010
Mar 3, 2004
Beach
why would they do two lanes one way instead of just having one lane each way, is it the truck traffic they are worried about

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I remember a few years back they did not leave enough room for the plows let alone cars. A lot of black marks on the barriers then from truck tires.
Could of been the reason for the set-up now. MTO would have to approve all closures and would issue a permit, they must not of liked the last one.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Just to let everyone know, the Lift Bridge will start opening the closed lanes tomorrow night. By Friday morning all should back to normal with shipping starting around the 23rd of March.

Yes and they will be painting the other side next winter.
Will they look into some traffic control next year for when the Skyway traffic is bad? I got caught twice in traffic coming from Burlington during some snowfall where it took us 45 minutes to get form Joe Brant to the Bridge:(. 2500 cars going to Hamilton and 50 cars going into Burlington.( I had noting else to do but count) Maybe they will give you control of the lights Scotto :)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Will they look into some traffic control next year for when the Skyway traffic is bad? I got caught twice in traffic coming from Burlington during some snowfall where it took us 45 minutes to get form Joe Brant to the Bridge:(. 2500 cars going to Hamilton and 50 cars going into Burlington.( I had noting else to do but count) Maybe they will give you control of the lights Scotto :)
The contractor takes over the site and they run the road, the bridge has no control. There are sensors pointing at the traffic and if there is none one way they don't change. But yes, they could of been set up better when there is a back log of traffic one way or the other.

Top Bottom