Looking for a History Lesson on 742 Beach Blvd.

Veda

Oct 15, 2011
:wavey:

Just moved to the beach community and am looking for some history about the house. Anybody know when 742 Beach Blvd. was first built or any history about the past owners?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
:wavey:

Just moved to the beach community and am looking for some history about the house. Anybody know when 742 Beach Blvd. was first built or any history about the past owners?

I had to have a look to remember which house it was, for many decades the only family I remember from that house was the Helkyards (sp?), I don't know if they were the previous owners but I have seen a lot of work being done in the last six or seven months.
It is looking very nice!
And I only would be guessing, but I say it was built in the 40's
Attached is a Gallery pic from 1980

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Scotto: I think your guess about when that house was built would be slightly in error since it was there when I grew up nearly across the street from it in the 40's. There sure wasn't any construction going on when I was growing up so I would guess that the house significantly pre-dates the 40's. I don't remember the name of the family that lived there.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scotto: I think your guess about when that house was built would be slightly in error since it was there when I grew up nearly across the street from it in the 40's. There sure wasn't any construction going on when I was growing up so I would guess that the house significantly pre-dates the 40's. I don't remember the name of the family that lived there.
My guess had my house in mind which was built in that era, do you recall if all of those houses were there back in your younger years? Another guess would be that those three houses were built about the same time.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Incidently, do you have any idea why Google Earth stopped filming Street View at Rembe Ave.?
I seen that when it the street view first came out, just thought that they would get around to it one day.
Last summer I seen the Google Earth truck with all cameras mounted on the roof come down the Beach and turn onto VanWagner's, so they were here.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
If I am correct about your house, it probably was built in the 40's. Isn't that the house that the Pett's owned? I am certain that all those houses next to 742 were there when I was growing up in the 40's Don't forget that I am a ripe old 73 years old......and my memory isn't very good anymore but new houses being built in the neigbourhood would have been noticed even by a youngster of between 2 and 12.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
If I am correct about your house, it probably was built in the 40's. Isn't that the house that the Pett's owned? I am certain that all those houses next to 742 were there when I was growing up in the 40's Don't forget that I am a ripe old 73 years old......and my memory isn't very good anymore but new houses being built in the neigbourhood would have been noticed even by a youngster of between 2 and 12.
I believe it was once a Pett owned house, also Andy Brown who was last NHL goalie to play without a mask. And the Petts also owned the store near your old house?

And I should stop guessing the age of old houses if I am off that much.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Yes, the Petts did own the store. Bill Pett died a very suspicious death and afterwards his widow and the former milkman continued to operate it for a few years. There is probably a lot more to this story than you might have heard before.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yes, the Petts did own the store. Bill Pett died a very suspicious death and afterwards his widow and the former milkman continued to operate it for a few years. There is probably a lot more to this story than you might have heard before.
I never heard anything on that one, sounds like the milkman was involved though.
Anyway, back to 742 beach Blvd, I will make one more guess, in the attached photo above from 1980 there are three houses, the two outside ones look like they were built by the same builder as they have the same features and somewhat resemble each other. Nothing like the middle one.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I agree with you about the houses but I will raise you one. If you look at the middle one, add on a vestibule, you have three houses built by the same man. The front windows are a bit different but the side ones and the second story (or half) are the same.
And yes, the suspicions always were that the milkman was involved.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I agree with you about the houses but I will raise you one. If you look at the middle one, add on a vestibule, you have three houses built by the same man. The front windows are a bit different but the side ones and the second story (or half) are the same.
And yes, the suspicions always were that the milkman was involved.
Yes some renovations could have changed the front, same side windows, same window under the gable end. The chimney is the same for the two on the right, could still be there with the house on the left but the camera angle covers it (or it has been removed). The front yard was filled in to add much needed parking. Could ask the present owners as they have been there for as long as I remember.

Veda

Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for the informtion!

Thank you Scotto & Crawfish for the information! Sounds like there are some interesting past owners to research. Thanks for sharing!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thank you Scotto & Crawfish for the information! Sounds like there are some interesting past owners to research. Thanks for sharing!
A little more info from the library, 742 Beach Blvd was built in 1907, (before Crawfish's time) and it was owned by Miss Isabel Mary Carnford. Hope I have the spelling right as it the handwriting isn't the best. I don't see a year, but I assume it is from the late 1940's, the value of the house is listed at $2655.
Another listing from 1945 tax collection records shows Marg. M. Woodman as the owner, but her mailing address is listed as 24 Stirton St., Hamilton.
Lot Size was33 X 110
In 1937 it was owned by Fred Morrison from 10 Dunraven Ave and the occupant was James Dixon.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Good work Scotto: That time frame fits my gut feeling. The names Woodman, Morrison and Dixon don't mean anything to me but I'll bet they didn't have kids my age although maybe only Mr. Dixon actually lived there..

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Good work Scotto: That time frame fits my gut feeling. The names Woodman, Morrison and Dixon don't mean anything to me but I'll bet they didn't have kids my age although maybe only Mr. Dixon actually lived there..
And the odd thing is that your old house doesn't list in any of those records?? I do see one with your last name living at 5 Sixth Ave and that must be for the summer only, the main address is 239 Balmoral Ave. S.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
That is curious. I know that my parents rented a place on the connecting street (on the bayshore) between Windermere and Knapman's Drive and I guess I spent my first year there. They then bought 757 from the Fudges. My grandfather was living on Morden Ave (which I guess is now Arden Ave) but I am sure that was a rental. I guess 6th Ave is now called Locarno but I am sure we never lived there.
I have dug through my files and found a pic of yours truly at the tender age of about 1 year sitting in a cardboard box on a sleigh in front of that house on the connecting street, Bayview Ave.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Note that only the corners of the house we occupied is shown in these pictures. In the first pic the house shown is the one on the south side and the one on the north side is shown in the second pic.. The person in the two pics is the same.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Note that only the corners of the house we occupied is shown in these pictures. In the first pic the house shown is the one on the south side and the one on the north side is shown in the second pic.. The person in the two pics is the same.
Great pics CF, you must of sent me some of the same houses in the background before. Because I am have flashback to the house that I'm sure I have seen before and I wasn't around when Bayview Ave was there.
I believe it remended me of a house on Windermere, I will have to look again.

Top Bottom