Looking For Info

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I read a different story recently about the building in my family tree on ancestry. It said that the building was removed in partitions and moved to lake Erie. Maybe it didn't have 2 floors orginally? So many different stories one can hear over the years and which is right?

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
This is the pic that had this info from ancestry. This building doesn't look like it has 2 floors.

"I believe the Cottage in the background would have been the one torn down for the Q.E.W. Highway and rebuilt on the shores of Lake Erie."

"abt 1928
• The Beach Strip, Hamilton Ontario"
edwin babe and eva gord jr and doug.jpg

Last edited:

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
The kitchen was a walkthrough. The kitchen table was on the sunporch. I loved to sit there eating my meals watching the boats, birds or waves. I sure miss it there.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Scott,
“1955 is before my time, but discussions from another thread had some time frame of around 1952-53 where many homes were demolished or moved for upcoming QEW/ Skyway project. This would include the Burlington side which at the time belong to Hamilton for a while.”

Maybe what we need, is to create a thread on the opening of the QEW in 1939, and the construction of the Skyway (I.E.) the roads and bascules bridges origenally involved, the lift bridge, and the houses torn down or removed for the construction of the Skyway bridge.

There is probably lots of information in old news paper articles on microfilm at the Hamilton Public Library. And, in the case of the construction of the Skyway, lots of peaple with lots of memories and information.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
A very uncanny happening when I still working. I had never met this man before. And I had to go talk to him about a work matter for some info I needed. Anyhow we got off shop talk for a bit and oddly enough the conversation ended up about lake Erie and how I would love to move there and saying my family had a cottage there years ago. I was not expecting his next reply. He asked me what my surname was and told him. His reply was you aren't going to believe this but it was my in-laws that bought your cottage from your family years back. Uncanny or what. They still have that cottage and have kept it up really nice. They also added propane for heating it. We had wood burning franklin stove to heat it with. When we owned it you couldn't drink the water either since it was pumped in from the lake. I wouldn't doubt they put a filtration on it since they are staying there all year now.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Sharla1
07-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Anyone know how many buildings were removed to put the Skyway in?
07-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Anyone know how many buildings were removed to put the Skyway in?

I don't really think we could get a number for that, some were torn down while others were just moved out of the way.
Good question though, I found one link of discussion;

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1238&highlight=skyway

The city of Hamilton and the province of Ontario worked together to construct the first Burlington Bay Skyway Bridge, which opened in 1958. Ninety-three beach properties were expropriated to facilitate the construction of the 8000-foot bridge towering 210 feet above the beach community.”

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/"The+...inst+Them:"+Class,+Environment,...-a081762577

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I wonder which side they started building the skyway from the Hamilton side or the Burlington side.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I wonder which side they started building the skyway from the Hamilton side or the Burlington side.
I wasn't around for the construction of the first Skyway Bridge, for the second one there wasn't really a clear starting point on either side to say we stared here first. I watched it being built pretty well even on both sides and meeting in the middle.

Thanks to W. Haley

For the first one, I can speculate the start by the progress in the two attached pictures from roughly the same period, the Hamilton structure looks to be almost complete with the Burlington side having a long way to go. So I would assume most of the early work was done on the Hamilton side.
Member Crawfish would know better as he was around and even has a few photos.

Looking south at the Hamilton side, thanks to the University of Guelph Library;

Looking north at the Burlington side, thanks to the Hamilton Public Library.

Top Bottom