Looking for shipwreck photos

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hamilton Conservation Authority is asking community to help with some interpretive panel for Confederation Park. HCA is looking for photos on shipwrecks, mainly photos of a wreck that washed up in March of 2000, or any diving photos of sunken wrecks, or any related shipwreck visuals in digital form.

HCA will give credit on the panel for any photos they are able to use. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
There is probably a few sitting there and according to one historian, a spitfire.
I remember some talk about a shipwreak coming in and out with the weather while the classes were on at VanWagner's School. I will see if I can find that.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I have a book on shipwrecks but not sure they have any in this area. I will try and find the book and take a look.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Mike Fletcher could be of some help. The HCA seems fixed on one or possibly two vessels that parts of washed up on the beach back in 2000, I remember seeing a lot of "crafted" timbers back then but paid little attention to it. One resident use a large section as a make shift fence for their back yard that backed onto the beach. The Historian that told me about the downed spitfire said he went on search with the Coast Guard many years ago and found nothing worth reporting.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I was just looking at this site. Maybe they might have something in the suggested articles that they have mentioned. I wonder if all of these are available at the local libraries?

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0007793
Lots of good info at that site, if any library had best collection of historical reading, that would be the third floor of the Central Library.

I read that the Wolfe from the Burlington Races has been found near Kingston (what's left of it anyway) and historians are trying extract it for a 200 year anniversary.

Top Bottom