Mary Weeks-Mifflin

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Hamilton Spectator, January 29, 1988.

'Lighthouse nut' hoping her new book is a keeper
By John Gast, The Spectator
AUTHOR MARY Weeks-Mifflin has seen the light.
That's light, as in house.
There are books and photographs about lighthouses all over the house, pictures of lighthouses on the living room walls and in the bathroom.
"I'd kill to be a keeper in a lighthouse," said the 36-year-old enthusiast, who said the daydream was the first obsession she remembers as a child.
"My family used to vacation in Southampton on Lake Huron. I remember as a young girl looking out the window at the Chantry Island lighthouse and daydreaming about what it would be like to live there."
The fascination has never left her, she said as she leafed through the pages of research material she and co-author husband Ray have collected for their new book on the Burlington Bay lighthouse.
Ray is a schoolteacher and Mary manages a retail store, so all work on the book is done in weekends and evenings.
Net loss
Although the first book about the Chantry Island lighthouse sold out all 2,000 copies in the first six months, her 60¢ per book share of the sales left her with a net loss of more than $2,000 when she includes months of research, travel and other expenses.
But money isn't the only measure of success, she claims. "I hope I have preserved a little bit of history that will now never be destroyed. And there's the fun we've had, the people we've met and the places we've seen.
In fact, work on the book revealed that she wasn't the only "lighthouse nut" around.
"I met people who spend their entire vacations driving from one
Lighthouse to another," she said. "There seems to be a fraternity of lighthouse enthusiasts out there."
She said lighthouses are often the focal point of local histories, so those interested in history are part of her market as well.
"I didn't realize how big the market was out there until the book," she said. "I get at least 10 letters a week from people who give me information or friends I've made while working on the book.
Research
Ironically, the Canadian Coast Guard asks her for historical information about their own lighthouses and she's often hired to do articles for them. "I guess they're happy that someone is doing historical work," she said.
So happy, in fact, that she's gone along on several helicopter inspection tours of lighthouses on lakes Erie, Superior and Huron.
Research is the most fun for the couple, but it's also the hardest work and can be the most frustrating.
Information comes from local museums, national and provincial archives and personal contacts.
"We tried to track down one picture for six months," said Ray. We finally found it in the Toronto archives."
When they ordered a copy, they were mistakenly sent a picture of a cow shed in Port Hope.
"Somebody in Port Hope got a copy of the Burlington lighthouse," said Ray, 37.
The attraction to lighthouses for, Canadians is the same as the attraction Europeans have for castles, according to the couple, but they admit getting glassy-eyed stares from some people when they explain their hobby.
"They just can't understand how someone can spend all their time on something like this."

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Hamilton Spectator, January 1988.
Burlington Bay has had its share of real characters

HER RESEARCH hasn't confirmed it but Mary Weeks-Mifflin is tracking down tales that a former Burlington Bay lighthouse keeper may have held something of a speed record.
"It seems this guy could race from the lighthouse to the local hotel, through the front doors, pour back two beer and be out the rear exit before his pursuing wife stormed through the front door," said the Long Drive resident, who with husband Ray has finished research on their second book about lighthouses.

The planned 60-page book, dubbed "a trick to fool Canadians into enjoying their history" by publisher Boston Mills, should be available by this summer. It covers the Burlington lighthouses, keepers, shipping and the canal between Lake Ontario and Burlington Bay.
"On the official opening ceremonies of the new canal in 1826," she said, "the ship carrying the lieutenant governor that led the procession through the canal went aground and blocked traffic."

Rumor has it, according to husband Ray, that a member of the brass band on board fell overboard and drowned.
According to their research, the dignitaries were transferred to a rowboat and had to be rowed the rest of the way to the waiting reception.
Research also uncovered that an original wooden lighthouse burned down July 18, 1856 when sparks from the steamship Ranger lit it afire.

Burlington Bay has had its share of "real characters" for lighthouse keepers, according to May, not excluding Peter Coletti who lost the job when the lighthouse went automatic last fall.
"He had four or five parrots at one time. He said one or two wasn't enough to replace the noise his wife made before she left."
Captain Campbell, a keeper at the turn of the century, was known for rescuing several people from the canal's icy water, but at one time

had to be rescued himself when he was swept into the water.
And then there was John Chisholm who was not only in charge of the lighthouse, but managed to entrench himself and his relatives in all of the customs offices on the southeast end of the lake.
The British had an official inquiry into the apparent nepotism, but the couple never discovered what came of it, Probly nothing, suggested Ray, same as today.

Collings

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg
Well...interesting story...But the closest bar for Pete would have been dynes....and as far as I remember they only owned one car....Sounds like urban myth to me..lol...but I will say that I have known Pete Coletti since I was about 10 years old...which is 41 years now, and if there is a person about whom an urban myth could be created, he is that person. I will also say that I have never heard anything negative about him..so the myths must be all good...

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Collings;
I don't think she was referring to Pete, but I assume the bar would of been the Lakeside Hotel which was just a few doors down from the Keeper's house and that was gone by the time Pete took over. There are enough true stories about Pete, we don't need to make any up. :apat:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The only one I have was from the Lift Bridge collection and it was taken from the top of the Lighthouse, there is one at the Library that is almost identical. If anyone has a better shot, please share.
Scotto.

Top Bottom