Memories Beach Blvd

Karin

Nov 21, 2010
Scott....you asked if I remembered Mrs. Love. That name certainly seems very familiar. Was she the lady that owned or managed that 671 house in 1960.? I remember a basement full of budgies and the lady was so nice...she gave me a budgie to keep me company.Who were you thinking of?.
Also...my grade 3 teacher at Bell Cairn in 1959-1960 was Mrs. Reed. Anyone remember her? She was nice ...strict in comparison to todays teachers!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I didn't really know her, but she owned and lived in the house on the opposite corner(as you know). She lived there for the all the years I lived on the Beach until she had to finally leave. I didn't know that she also owned the house that you lived in, but I knew she was there for many years and if you remembered anyone, it would have been her.

The link below sheds a little history on Mrs. Love,

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396

Karin

Nov 21, 2010
I don't know for sure if Mrs. Love owned 671. I can't remember spending time at 677. Her name is very familiar to me though. I do remember the Barker family lived across from me on the corner( 668??) I used to hang out there ..played with a girl named Laura Barker. I seem to remember she had an older sister. Mom & Dad were separated. Laura lived there with Dad.
Grey Cup...Sask now tied. Weather here is MUCH better than past 2 wks.
Thanks for the info on Mrs Love. She sounds like she was quite the lady.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I don't know for sure if Mrs. Love owned 671. I can't remember spending time at 677. Her name is very familiar to me though. I do remember the Barker family lived across from me on the corner( 668??) I used to hang out there ..played with a girl named Laura Barker. I seem to remember she had an older sister. Mom & Dad were separated. Laura lived there with Dad.
Grey Cup...Sask now tied. Weather here is MUCH better than past 2 wks.
Thanks for the info on Mrs Love. She sounds like she was quite the lady.
The Barkers are still there in the same house, with other family members scatter along the Beach. Attached are a few Barker photos below from the Gallery.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/gallery3/Beach-Pics/Herbie1
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/gallery3/Beach-Pics/Herbie2
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/gallery3/Beach-Pics/May62

Karin

Nov 21, 2010
SCOTT!!!! the 3rd picture you sent has my mother & I in it!! I recognize the man. I am the girl with dark hair. Oh my Goodness. What you have given me!! I am speechless.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
SCOTT!!!! the 3rd picture you sent has my mother & I in it!! I recognize the man. I am the girl with dark hair. Oh my Goodness. What you have given me!! I am speechless.
It's a small world...
That would be Herbie Barker.
BTW, you can thank the Barkers for the picture...

Karin

Nov 21, 2010
I remember my mother going with a Herb...but never connected him to this Laura I spent time with.I never knew his last name, yet always remembered Laura's. I also recognize him. Is he still alive?
This world is small...I am still stunned!That is the only picture I have of myself or my mom from those 2 yrs we spent wandering around southern Ontario.

Karin

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I remember my mother going with a Herb...but never connected him to this Laura I spent time with.I never knew his last name, yet always remembered Laura's. I also recognize him. Is he still alive?
This world is small...I am still stunned!That is the only picture I have of myself or my mom from those 2 yrs we spent wandering around southern Ontario.

Karin
Actually her name is Laural (sp?), she has two sisters as far as I know, Lynn and Shelley and a brother Kevin. Sadly Herbie pass away many years ago, he was a super nice guy, I always liked him.
They allowed me to look through their old pictures when I started this Forum, that one stood out to me because of the two houses in the background and an old HSR bus had just passed by, you can see the tail end of it on the left. Kevin now lives in the house.

Karin

Nov 21, 2010
So..what is the street address of the Barker home? I'm interested because I remember it being something like "kitty-corner" from 671. Yes, Herb was a nice guy from what I remember . Also, I have managed to salvage some letters/writings of my mother's and she speaks very highly of Herb. I can't believe in all my memeories, I never connected him to Laura(l). Oh well, those times are 50yrs behind me and I guess memories do get lost ( or are wrong from the beginning).
You truly are an historian. I have went through alot of the Gallery pics and they are great. The homes on Beach Blvd are awesome and worthy of TLC and upkeep . They have such character.Taxes must be high along the beach?
I can't thnak you enough . What a small world ...you knew Herb!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
So..what is the street address of the Barker home? I'm interested because I remember it being something like "kitty-corner" from 671. Yes, Herb was a nice guy from what I remember . Also, I have managed to salvage some letters/writings of my mother's and she speaks very highly of Herb. I can't believe in all my memeories, I never connected him to Laura(l). Oh well, those times are 50yrs behind me and I guess memories do get lost ( or are wrong from the beginning).
You truly are an historian. I have went through alot of the Gallery pics and they are great. The homes on Beach Blvd are awesome and worthy of TLC and upkeep . They have such character.Taxes must be high along the beach?
I can't thnak you enough . What a small world ...you knew Herb!
The house is "kitty-corner" to your old house, but the house number is 692 and yes it has been a long time.
I have attached a picture that I took a week ago, I was trying to get some fall colours from the willow tree with the house in the background. The Barkers do spend a lot of time working on their house.
As for the historian compliment, we have a few real historians on the Site, so I would call them the experts on Beach history, not me.
And taxes, they have exploded in recent years, for some it is another mortgage.

Attachments

Karin

Nov 21, 2010
Oh the Weeping Willow! I had forgotten how gorgeous they are. We don't have them here..closest is the Weeping Birch..and even then it's really too dry in many parts of Sask to grow them. I have 2. but have lucked out with a high water table at the acreage . Thx for the picture. I am glad that my memory was right...about the where the Barker house is. I must say Scotto, this forum has made my November...starting with the picture of 1117 and ending with last night. pot of gold!

Top Bottom