More Beach Wildlife

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks to the interest in the Peregrins, some Beach residents have sent in their wildlife pics. If anyone has something to add, please post it or send it in and I will post it for you.

This one was sent in by EP.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This something I have never seen before, what looked like hummingbird moving around and feeding on my wife's flowers was actually a very large moth. It must of measured about five to six inches across it's wingspan. Looked it up on the net and it is called a hummingbird moth because it's resemblances to the bird. First one I have ever seen.

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
An Argiope Spider

Look at the size of this spider, it must of been about four inches across. It had no idea what it was, so I had a look on the net-

From a spider site-
"The largest orb weaver in our gardens is the black and yellow argiope (Argiope aurantia). Actually, only the female is large, the males being much smaller by comparison. Although big enough to deliver a bite, these spiders are not poisonous or aggressive. The black and yellow argiope is also called banana spider, yellow garden spider, zipper spider, golden orb weaver and writing spider. There are a number of other species in the genus Argiope, but most that occur in the U.S. are restricted to tropical climates. A related species inhabits gardens in Europe. Because they make such big webs and are brightly colored, it is impossible for a resident argiope to remain unnoticed in the garden or, as they sometimes look for sheltered areas, on the side of a house"

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Mockingbird

This is a very noticable bird because it so loud and noisy, I'm told that it is a Mockingbird and it's the first I have seen around here. I seems to mimic the call of different birds and it doesn't stop.
This one makes it's home near the Lift Bridge, if you are in the parking lot you will hear him chirping away all day long over near the Lighthouse Keeper's house.

For the complete story-
http://www.audubon.org/bird/BoA/F12_G2a.html

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Beavers

I thought I could see these beavers around last summer but could never get close enough to tell for sure. Well I had one swim past me last night when I was on the harbour piers near Fisherman's Pier. It swam over to the breakwall where there was a tree was growing out of the stone, it then broke off a branch and waddle close to the water and had supper.

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
We have groundhogs, eating all my tomatoes-- not gonna get any for us human animals this year cause of them. And they seem to like fighting at night with the local skunk.
Thought I seen one near the school, guess it was. We are getting all sorts of critters down here now. Be nice to get a pic of the skunk fighting the groundhog.

Top Bottom