My name is........

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
:wavey: Just a note to introduce myself. My name is Peggy (Drew) Large and I was born on the Beach many moons ago. I lived at 814 Beach Blvd. in the late 1940s. Older residents will probably remember my grandfather Les Drew and my father Bob Drew. I found my way here during my family research in the area plus I wanted to come up to date on what is happening in my old stomping grounds. Though I moved to Aldershot young we had family on the Beach and keep close ties in the area for alot of years. I'd like to hear from anyone interested in rehashing those long forgotten or who just likes remembering "The Beach" as I do.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Peggy; :wavey:
Thank you for taking the time to join the forum. I grew up down that end of the Beach, but I don't remember any family named Drew. I sure though, that some members will recall your family. I will have to look and see if 814 is still there, not too many in that area were demolished.
Thanks again, Scotto

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Crawfish
No I didn't. Only child. My father and grandfather were early duck hunters on the Beach. Grandparents also had a summer hamburg stand down past the old Hutch's in the summer. They lived there from 1923 to 1950. I'm working on the Corey family at the moment and that is what lead me to this site.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Scotto
814 is very much still there. I pass it often. The little grey house in the back and one lot north of 814 I lived in as well. My grandfather built the two houses on the south side of 814. All are still there. Personnally I don't like all the new building going on.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Drogo said:
Scotto
814 is very much still there. I pass it often. The little grey house in the back and one lot north of 814 I lived in as well. My grandfather built the two houses on the south side of 814. All are still there. Personnally I don't like all the new building going on.
I can't seem to remember that house, I will have to take a look when I go out tonight.
As for the "new building", to me most look very nice, but some are not. I know one set of new ones now being called the "Beach Outhouses". It's not right that someone is making money while we are all left little more crowded. :mad:

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I live out on Fifty Point. Private road and all country. Now they have allowed three story homes on that road on 50' lots. Between us and the QEW they are in the process of building something like 550 units. My comment only meant the new doesn't fit in with the old. The old charm will change and it's a shame.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Drogo said:
Scotto
I know the house(s) now, there are three almost the same across from the Kemp house.

Kellins

Feb 22, 2005
Hi, I also lived in that area of the beach, 957, in the 50's. I don't remember any Drew, but I do remember, Woodhall, Frazer, Davies and Askew. I later lived across from Earnie's - left in 1970

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
L.C. Drew, Tinsmiths and Roofers. Any relation?
Yes that is my grandfather. I haven't seen it but I'm going to go looking now. Thanks. That business was on King William St. right where the Central Police Station is now and it continued out of the shop in Aldershot until my father died in 1993. 150 years in business.

Kellins

Feb 22, 2005
hi Jude I have been thinking about Wallace. I do remember an elderly gentleman by that name who lived on Windermere? (on block over from Knapman) He had a collie type dog. This was in the early 60's. Later he moved with his son? to another house on the bay side about the 900 area - a one story ranch on a large lot. This "Mr Wallace" and his dog were my friends when I was about 10

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Kellins said:
hi Jude I have been thinking about Wallace. I do remember an elderly gentleman by that name who lived on Windermere? (on block over from Knapman) He had a collie type dog. This was in the early 60's. Later he moved with his son? to another house on the bay side about the 900 area - a one story ranch on a large lot. This "Mr Wallace" and his dog were my friends when I was about 10
Hi Kellins;
Glad to see you made it on to the boards. The Wallaces are living the "Ranch house" again, I don't know about Windermere, but I know that they did have a house on Wickham. Jude would know better than me though. :D

Top Bottom