New Stat Holiday in February.

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Former Beach Bum, now in Stoney Creek
Family Day is the name of a statutory holiday in the Canadian provinces of Alberta, Ontario and Saskatchewan, and is a public holiday in the Australian Capital Territory (called "Family & Community Day"), an administrative region in Australia and in South Africa.

The third Monday of February is a public (or, statutory) holiday, Family Day, in the three Canadian provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Ontario.

Most workers, public or private, are entitled to take statutory holidays off with regular pay. Some businesses remain open on holidays, such as medical clinics and some stores, restaurants, and tourist attractions. On Family Day, like other statutory holidays employers must pay employees a premium rate.

What Does Family Day Mean for Visitors?

Banks, schools, government offices are closed.
Public transportation runs on holiday schedule.
Call ahead to restaurants, stores and tourist attractions to ensure hours of operation.

Family Day Holiday Dates
2008: Mon, Feb 18
2009: Mon, Feb 16
2010: Mon, Feb 15
2011: Mon, Feb 21
2012: Mon, Feb 20
2013: Mon, Feb 18
2014: Mon, Feb 17
2015: Mon, Feb 19

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Former Beach Bum, now in Stoney Creek
I heard that to. Some employers give extra paid days off. So they are taking one away.
Kinda sucks. But it'll be nice for the people who do NOT get extra paid days off through the year. KWIM? I guess it's bitter sweet for some.

Also, it's been known as Heritage Day. Some companies already pay the Stat rate. I Believe that some employers like Stelco already pay it as a stat holiday.

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Where I work we are at present in Union negotiations and are trying to get it added. All but the 3 get another stat day either the french St. John DeBaptise or Nov 11 in the east and west.
I to have heard that alot that had Heritage day lost it for Family day.
IMO if heritage day is in your contract they just can't change it, to another day.???

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
no they announced that we would get Family day as soon as it was brought in, but now with the loopholes in the day they took it back
It will be law in Ontario, how can they get out of it???
Is there news story on this???

Some workplaces were nice enough to give Heritage Day and will trade Family Day for that, I didn't hear about any other loopholes.

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
I have heard so many conflicting stories from different business, no one is sure what is happening.

One things the stores won't close, too much $$$$ lost for a day

I have heard so many conflicting stories from different business, no one is sure what is happening.

One things the stores won't close, too much $$$$ lost for a day
My place of work, which operates 24/7, already gives us an extra day off for Remembrance Day and has kindly added Family Day as an additional day off. Gotta love those paid holidays:canada:

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Looks like will not get it in the courier world as we are Fedrally Regulated,

talk is we will get a extra personal day for it, works for me.

:laugh3:

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Let me share this joke with you!!

The company I work for has decided they only want 6 people to work, the rest of us can take it as a personal or sick day.

:)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Let me share this joke with you!!

The company I work for has decided they only want 6 people to work, the rest of us can take it as a personal or sick day.

:)
But you are getting paid for a day off, we are in our off season so that is all we will get. All Stat Holidays are covered with overtime when we are open.

Sounds like they (your company) don't want to officially recognize the holiday, must not of voted for Dalton McGuinty.

Top Bottom