No Ice Banks This Year But,

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
No ice banks this year, but we did get quite a load of muck that we see from time to time. I have been told that it is grass that has been dumped into the harbour then moved by the currents out to the lake, then onto the beach. I have no idea what it is.

rprouse

Nov 10, 2009
Beach Blvd
It is even worse down in Burlington. It is a couple of feet deep in places there. It looks like grass cuttings to me too. I was checking it out last fall when it was less decomposed. I was hoping that the winter storms would get rid of it, but it seems to be just moving up and down the beach.

I want to know who is dumping that much grass in the water and why they aren't being made to pay for the cleanup! Is there someone we can complain too?

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It might not be easily seen in the picture, but it is a couple feet thick here as well. It has been suggested that golf courses or possibly a park along the harbour shore has been dumping their grass clippings into the water. I have been told that golf balls (I found one yesterday) and tees have been found in the muck, so one would have to guess that a near by golf course could be the culprit, but there is no real proof, just speculation. And it does seem like a lot of grass to be coming from one place.

rprouse

Nov 10, 2009
Beach Blvd
The only golf course that seems within range is the Burlington Golf & Country club. The only other large 'grass' areas are city parks and I doubt (hope?) the city wouldn't do this. Are we sure that it is coming from the harbour?

Why do people put up with this and who do we contact to complain? Hamilton Parks department?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The only golf course that seems within range is the Burlington Golf & Country club. The only other large 'grass' areas are city parks and I doubt (hope?) the city wouldn't do this. Are we sure that it is coming from the harbour?

Why do people put up with this and who do we contact to complain? Hamilton Parks department?
But where is the proof, it could of came from anywhere on Lake Ontario and possibly Lake Erie. Last summer I seen a vegatation remover (picture attached) launch from our marina at the canal and headed towards Fifity Point. Did they pick up and dispose of all their work? I have no idea. I guess we could have the City look into it, but it could be cheaper just to clean it up.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I wonder if this deposit isn't dead algae? With the amount of nutrients going into our waters these days, algal blooms are quite prevalent and I guess they die in the winter. A biologist could probably identify the stuff.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I wonder if this deposit isn't dead algae? With the amount of nutrients going into our waters these days, algal blooms are quite prevalent and I guess they die in the winter. A biologist could probably identify the stuff.
As of yeasterday, some high winds and large waves have remove it all. But as rprose wrote, is it just moving up and down the beach?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I wonder if it would be worth the cost of having it tested, it seemed to be pretty well gone during the storm, but little by little it is coming back.

rprouse

Nov 10, 2009
Beach Blvd
It is back pretty thick now and even thicker down near Burlington. I was hoping that it would get washed away over the winter, but it just keeps moving around. Is there someone in Parks that we can call to badger them to get down with something to clean it up?

Sometimes I wonder how much we can complain though. After the nice weekend last weekend, I can't count the amount of debris dumped above the beach and even in the middle of the beach by residents cleaning their yards. If we can't keep the beach clean ourselves, how can we blame others? What do people expect, that it will get cleaned away in the next storm? I think this mess proves otherwise...

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It is back pretty thick now and even thicker down near Burlington. I was hoping that it would get washed away over the winter, but it just keeps moving around. Is there someone in Parks that we can call to badger them to get down with something to clean it up?

Sometimes I wonder how much we can complain though. After the nice weekend last weekend, I can't count the amount of debris dumped above the beach and even in the middle of the beach by residents cleaning their yards. If we can't keep the beach clean ourselves, how can we blame others? What do people expect, that it will get cleaned away in the next storm? I think this mess proves otherwise...
The City will have a clean up, they usually park a dumpster near the canal and waste no time in filling it up and yes I agree, if not cleaned up then it will just move around. Residents should not be dumping their waste on the beach, you have seen this done?

rprouse

Nov 10, 2009
Beach Blvd
Down at my end of the beach (near the Dynes,) it seems like every other house is dumping garden waste on the beach. There are piles of dirt/grass and cuttings all through the grass and bushes at the top of the beach. There is even a large pile of leaves dumped in the middle of the sand.

I don't feel like I have lived here long enough to say anything to people when they do it, but the mess it creates is an eyesore. I also don't want to fall out with my neighbors. Besides, how can you say anything to one person when it looks like everyone is doing it?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I hear you, no one should be dumping on the beach or anywhere for that matter. There isn't much you can do except to call the City when you see people dumping.

varsr

Aug 18, 2007
Off topic - but the mess on our beach is not getting any better - the stuff that is washing up onto the shore - grass clippings?? something - I remember seeing someone mention at some point about having it tested - has there been any more thought to that. I don't remember it being this bad before

Last edited by a moderator:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Off topic - but the mess on our beach is not getting any better - the stuff that is washing up onto the shore - grass clippings?? something - I remember seeing someone mention at some point about having it tested - has there been any more thought to that. I don't remember it being this bad before
It seemed to clear up near the canal, did come back some where else?

epiphany

Apr 13, 2010
Well by brown stuff -- I meant the grass cuttings that are brown and are all along the shoreline....and they might try to tell me it is seaweed but um this is a lake and when I picked up some of that stuff it looks like grass to me--cause it is all the same size so something fishy there for sure..... someone is dumping in my opinion--it is very obvious and disgusting as well.

Top Bottom