Odour Complaints Sept. 25th, 2007

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
For the last couple of days there has been a strong petroleum odour which has plagued the north end of the Beach. It is more pronounced between the house numbers 700's and 800's. The wind was out of the SSW, therefore there isn't much of a chance of the culprit being Bitumar.
This smell must be coming from across the harbour.
I had a long discussion with Ron Hall from the MOE today, Ron told me that there were complaints logged (thanks people) and he did witness the odour while on North Park Ave., he is now waiting for some wind data before he can proceed further.
Please call the MOE when these odours occur and hopefully we can put an end to the problem.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
We complain every time we smell the odd odours coming across the beach strip. It has seemed to be bad most of the summer.
It seemed to hit more on the north end of the Beach, your house would be on the border, depending on the wind direction.
And there isn't any close tenants on the habour side, as I wrote earlier the MOE is looking into it, but it would be nice to know where the smell is coming from.

Did you see the Spec article from last week about all smell coming from the new BIOX plant located on Oliver Street in Hamilton. Wonder if it could be coming from there???

smr714

RIP July 1969-April, 2009
Mar 15, 2004
Beach Blvd.
www.neopets.com
Over the summer one of the inspectors told Dad that he thought it might be from some of the new processes at Dofasco and Hamilton steel. Just like all the black soot/dirt we seem to be getting all summer.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I guess for now we will have to wait and see what the MOE come up with.
It would be nice to boat out into the harbour and see (or smell) for ourselves who the problem company is.

Many of us had our houses sprayed washed because of the soot problem, was your cleaned?

Starting to hear complaints about the sand/gravel piles over at Eastport, mostly from the south end of the Beach.

Top Bottom