OK Where was the King's Head

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I had questioned the map of the King's Head. Since that I called the Museum on another matter. Was able to speak directly to a gentleman on another matter. I brought up the Inn issue and was informed it is wrong and that a new was is underway. So sorry for questioning it. I should have made the phone call first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I know. I brought it up on the list long time ago and then I think Fred went in and talked to them. I was in 2 weeks ago and the girl said she thought it was fixed and that a man from the 70s who was in the historical society worked along time on this and that is where he found it was. I talked to a gentleman from the museum today about an entry from the Thompson Diaries I need and we talked about it. He said it is wrong and they have the printer preparing another one. It has been a long time that the information has been incorrect. I would have stuck a piece of tape over it rather than leave it incorrect but that's me.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Now that I look back, we talked about this last July. So it wasn't that long, I must be getting old because I thought it was a couple of years ago.
Anyway, attached is a picture of the map that Drogo is referring to.
If you look real close near the south end of the Beach and you will see "Guest House", that must be the correct location.

Attachments

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Well that is a real big help. Question would be "300 yards off of which part of Beach road". The Beach Road has pretty well been the some old pathway across the Beach.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Drogo, the 1915 news paper article in this thread seems to indicate that the King’s Head Inn was 100 yards south of the ‘Beach road’.
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2240.html

Its interesting that ‘road’ is spelled with a small ‘r’. so I wonder if the article is referring to the present day ‘Beach Road’. Was ‘Beach Road’ there in 1915?
The Beach Road of today use to be part of Beach Blvd that we have today, Beach Blvd at that time was named Beach Road.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Well that is a real big help. Question would be "300 yards off of which part of Beach road". The Beach Road has pretty well been the some old pathway across the Beach.
What the comment must be referring to was the section where Beach Road turned onto what is now Van Wagner's because the Beach runs north to south. So it would have be 100 yards south of that point but how far east to west is another question.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
OK if I understand you that would be where the new stop sign is and they put a pay parking lot? I don't mean where the 100 yds is but where it would be "south of Beach Rd" from there. When I did the google overlay on the humongous map we knit together, that covered the whole Beach, on the far south side of that parking lot was noted as (I believe) Perry's Hotel.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
OK if I understand you that would be where the new stop sign is and they put a pay parking lot? I don't mean where the 100 yds is but where it would be "south of Beach Rd" from there. When I did the google overlay on the humongous map we knit together, that covered the whole Beach, on the far south side of that parking lot was noted as (I believe) Perry's Hotel.
I thought that Beach Road was much closer to the cut-off, near the Lakeland pool area?

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Here I will probably show my ignorance. On the old pictures didn't, what we call Beach Blvd, make a big swing south over towards what we call Burlington St. There is Beach Rd over there that I always thought was part of the road that crossed the Beach. It is at Possner's (?) and goes over somewhere around Kenliworth or Ottawa? I think it crossed the old marshy area on the Black Creek Bridge. Boy my head hurts. I'm not sure where I'm pulling this from. I might just be having a stroke! LOL

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Here I will probably show my ignorance. On the old pictures didn't, what we call Beach Blvd, make a big swing south over towards what we call Burlington St. There is Beach Rd over there that I always thought was part of the road that crossed the Beach. It is at Possner's (?) and goes over somewhere around Kenliworth or Ottawa? I think it crossed the old marshy area on the Black Creek Bridge. Boy my head hurts. I'm not sure where I'm pulling this from. I might just be having a stroke! LOL
I agree, Posners is located at the end of Beach Road near Kenilworth, I have found a map showing Beach Road running from Hamilton to the Beach, notice there is also a Beach Road North, which I assume end up being called the Windermere cut-off.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Well I made it on the curving to Burlington St. AND going over the creek. Now if you took that Y and went 100 yrd south you might get the same view as Lady Simcoe. That still, to me, doesn't jive with the plaques version of where they say the King's Head was. Where is the plaque by the way? By what they described I thought that area was farther south.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Well I made it on the curving to Burlington St. AND going over the creek. Now if you took that Y and went 100 yrd south you might get the same view as Lady Simcoe. That still, to me, doesn't jive with the plaques version of where they say the King's Head was. Where is the plaque by the way? By what they described I thought that area was farther south.
The plaque is located beside the Beach Trail just north of Hutch's, I have attached another map showing Beach Road and Black Bridge, I have inserted an arrow showing my guess of the King's Head Inn location by looking at your drawing and photo. I will see if I have those to add. as well.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
The plaque says about 50 metres from it was the (I think it refers to the carrying place) and the Inn was near the carrying place. I'd say we are looking pretty well in the right area.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Where is the plaque by the way? ]
I thought there was a picture of the plaque was already posted in this thread, I don't see it so I have attached it.

Also, this is a picture of the King's Head Inn sign that is in storage at present in the Joseph Brant Museum, many thanks to the Museum Curator, Paul Stone for sending this in.

Hopefully Fred will have some time to stop by a give a little history on this sign.
I add one comment though, this sign was never hanging at the King's Head Inn.

Top Bottom