On The Steamer

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I would assume so since neither of them drove and they did have that cottage on lake Ontario years ago. So they probably did a lot in that area in their time.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I would say that they are on two different ships, the railings are not the same. Should check pictures of the old steamers to see what they had for railings.
Also you can just see some land in the one, so it isn't out in the middle of the ocean.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I see that now Scotto about the railings. Gosh I have no idea what steamers were around in those days in this area. That sure would be a tough search to try and find out.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Scott,
"Well they are old, these were taken on the one of steamers that ran into Hamilton?"

Sharla1

"I would assume so since neither of them drove and they did have that cottage on lake Ontario years ago. So they probably did a lot in that area in their time."

Sharla, this page has a lot of information on the steamers that came into Hamilton Harbour.
http://www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/documents/Brookes/default.asp

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scott,
“Well they are old, these were taken on the one of steamers that ran into Hamilton?”

Sharla1

“I would assume so since neither of them drove and they did have that cottage on lake Ontario years ago. So they probably did a lot in that area in their time.”

Sharla, this page has a lot of information on the steamers that came into Hamilton Harbour.
http://www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/documents/Brookes/default.asp
I was waiting to go through some pictures and some info, if you look on the lifeboat just behind Eva, you can see the last two letters which are "on". So that could be any name of the past steamers. I just went through the history of the Lady Hamilton which wasn't in the harbor yet and the life boats were on the lower deck, not the top. I have checked the description and pictures of many other vessels and none match. So it could from another area or we just haven't found it yet.
No vessel with the name Hamilton matches, I have also checked Compton, Kingston, Lambton, Madison, Malton, Mapleton, Nipigon, Haddington, Saskatoon, and many more.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I wonder about Port Dover area?
Could of been, I will have to check what other steamers came through. The attached postcard shows what vessel we should be looking for, two stacks with the life boats behind them. A good close up would show the railings, but I don't think we will get that lucky.

Another;

Top Bottom