Open Houses & Antique Clinic.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Museums of Burlington Invites you to join us for…

HERITAGE MONTH CELEBRATIONS!

Featuring Open Houses & Antique Clinic!
Tuesday, February 19th at Ireland House at Oakridge Farm, 10am—4pm
On Wednesday, February 20th at Joseph Brant Museum, 10am—4pm
Free admission to museum & grounds including tours, snacks & crafts!
* Antique Clinic only at Joseph Brant Museum 10am-2pm, Wednesday February 20th *
The Ireland House at Oakridge Farm located at 2168 Guelph Line in Burlington will be hosting its annual open house as part of Heritage Month Celebrations on Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Don’t miss YOUR chance to enjoy this historic home and all of its glories. Activities include: guided tours of the historic home, heritage baking sampling and the opportunity to make a special craft. Discover the rich history of the Ireland Family as you explore the homestead and learn about practices of the past.
The Joseph Brant Museum located at 1240 North Shore Boulevard East in Burlington will be hosting its open house on Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Learn the fascinating story behind one of Burlington’s earliest settlers – Captain Joseph Brant, Thayendangea. This day will be filled with tours, hands-on activities and light refreshments. Take time to explore the latest exhibit, “For the King’s Shilling: A War of 1812 Encampment”. This exhibition allows visitors to actually immerse themselves in a replica encampment typical of the War of 1812 to see what the life of a soldier was like. In addition, guests will be introduced to fashion in a post-war society through the exhibit “Nuclear Fashion: Selling Style to Suburbia 1946-1964”.
An added feature for Joseph Brant Museum guests will be an ANTIQUE CLINIC! Guests are invited to bring up to 3 hand-held items to have appraised by professional appraisers: Treasure Antiques.
Clinic runs from 10am-2pm. Appraisal costs are only $5 per item!

For more information, please contact: Sylvia Hentz (905) 332-9888 sylvia.hentz@burlington.ca

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
wish I could go I have a 'statue' I need to find if its genuine or not and the value, for my mother
I was thinking about stopping by to get a few pictures, if the line up isn't a mile long I won't mind asking for you. Do you have a picture of the statue?

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
There is no date just the MARK. My sister has the match to mine. They were christening gifts when my great aunt and grandmother were born (1893) and they were identical twins. Not sure if it's a 6 or a 9 on the bottom. It isn't underlined. It measures 3 inches in height. It also has gold wash inside the mug. Ella my great aunt died in 1900 at age 7 of cholera. Her twin my grandmother Eva died in 1987.

I just did a quick clean on it. It was very tarnished. That's a cat on the top of the handle.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I would think that it would be worth a try and you know their history, the matching pair might make them worth more. I guess it would come down to how rare they are.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I just did a search online and found some a bit similar worth about $300. It was worn in certain spots and the gold wash inside isn't as good as it should be. Not sure what condition my sister's mug is in.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I just did a search online and found some a bit similar worth about $300. It was worn in certain spots and the gold wash inside isn't as good as it should be. Not sure what condition my sister's mug is in.
That's pretty good, but you will never sell them so doesn't really matter how they are worth, be nice to know how close the expert came to the $300.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
No we would never sell them. They have more sentimental value then dollar value.

I wished my webster's dictionary/encyclopedia was in better condition. It's pretty rough. It dates 1897.

I also have a hand made oak table that my 3rd great grandfather made in the late 1850s. My bedroom set is dated about 1928 that was my grandmother Eva's younger sister's. My brother has an old washstand that is also very old. It came from the same side family. I have an old desk from my mother's side that probably dates from the 20s or possibly older. Plus some old china and crystal items. When I had my cats they chipped my old crystal vase. GRRR

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Gotta watch those cats, anyway there are a few things that you could get looked at but;
"up to 3 hand-held items to have appraised by professional appraisers".
So furniture items would be on the list of not "hand held".

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Well I wouldn't be going anyhow since I can't stand for more then a few minutes at a time.

The candy dish is one of my favourite pieces which was a wedding gift to Eva and my grandfather they married in 1919. Again I would never sell it. Here is the vase the cats chipped. Also a wedding gift to the same grandparents. And no more cats for me, one dog is enough at this time.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Your camera pick the curtains as the picture, but I can see the chip in the vase which would make it worth very little, if it was worth anything to start with. I don't see it as being rare as compared to your mugs.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Those pics aren't the greatest, I should have taken some new ones of them.

And yes once something has been damaged, it effects the value a lot.

Nov 26, 2006
Brantford
I love it Porky. :)

Do you know the age of it?
No idea i have seen re-pros from the 70/80s but this is 'concrete' and looks to be well weathered thinking 50's from what i have searched the re-pros are going for $50 but the originals I have seen 4-8 hundred on the net, it has been inside since at least 2003 I was waiting for Aberfoil market on #6 to open to find a dealer that might know

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It looks like a shoe shiner or boot boy as you call it(I had no idea what you were talking about), did you steal that off of TC's front lawn (lol) That thing must weigh about 40 pounds as it must be solid and they are worth that much?
Anyway thanks for sharing, wish I had something to add, but I don't have any old collectables like that, back to watching Storage Wars. Maybe they will have one of your statues there.

Top Bottom