Pics I Scanned

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Nice picture of the Lighthouse Scotto.

You get a small glimpse of the little white bungalow in the upper left hand corner of this picture that we lived in too.

Michael
So I would assume that it wasn't the Bridgemaster's house? The Lighthouse Keeper had two residents?

Attached is another from our ship thread, the house is still there and the Lift Bridge has just opened.

lighthouse kid

Mar 6, 2007
1155 Beach Blvd - 1962-1972
Hi Scotto:

Yes, there were two separate houses for the light keeper(s) to live in.

Here in this picture you see the Bridgemaster's house in the forefront next to the lighthouse and behind or next to it the red brick lighthouse keepers house on the far right.

In the previous picture that I commented on.

You can see the Bridgemasters house in the lower left hand corner next to the lighthouse.

And as I mentioned, the little white bungalow that the assistant lighthouse keeper lived in. That's where we lived in until my father became Head Lighthouse keeper after Harry Dunn retired.

You can see two windows in the corner of the little white house that were to the one and only bedroom. Plus the concrete stairs up to the back door facing the canal side.

The front door and sidewalk faced toward the restaurant down the road next to the bowling alley.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I love that angle of the lighthouse. Do you know the year that pic was taken?
In the one from the Beach Lodge, someone has travelled up the new Lift bridge for a good shot of the lighthouse, my guess is that the Lift Bridge isn't even complete yet, the visitor's parking lot is poor condition compared to the picture with the vessel Whitefish Bay in it and sitting on ground directly below is a set of pier lights from the day. Those were replaced decades ago. The house to the left didn't last long after the bridge was opened and the lighthouse almost looks as if it is operational. My guess is 1961.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Scotto:

Yes, there were two separate houses for the light keeper(s) to live in.

Here in this picture you see the Bridgemaster's house in the forefront next to the lighthouse and behind or next to it the red brick lighthouse keepers house on the far right.

In the previous picture that I commented on.

You can see the Bridgemasters house in the lower left hand corner next to the lighthouse.

And as I mentioned, the little white bungalow that the assistant lighthouse keeper lived in. That's where we lived in until my father became Head Lighthouse keeper after Harry Dunn retired.

You can see two windows in the corner of the little white house that were to the one and only bedroom. Plus the concrete stairs up to the back door facing the canal side.

The front door and sidewalk faced toward the restaurant down the road next to the bowling alley.
Now I am lost, to the lower left is the white cottage you lived in, do you mean the buildings out in the visitor's parking lot?
How long did the white cottage last after the bridge was finished?
BeachLodge2b.jpg

Last edited:

lighthouse kid

Mar 6, 2007
Yes, sorry Scotto you are confused here.

In this picture that you have arrows marked on showing the Lighthouse and asking if this is the white cottage. No, it's not the white bungalow, it's the Bridgemasters house not the white bungalow that we lived in.

That house (the white bungalow) is in the upper left corner of this picture just to the left were that VW is parked. Does this seem more clear to you?

If not give me a phone call and I'll explain it to you.

Michael

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yes, sorry Scotto you are confused here.

In this picture that you have arrows marked on showing the Lighthouse and asking if this is the white cottage. No, it's not the white bungalow, it's the Bridgemasters house not the white bungalow that we lived in.

That house (the white bungalow) is in the upper left corner of this picture just to the left were that VW is parked. Does this seem more clear to you?

If not give me a phone call and I'll explain it to you.

Michael
That's much better, the Keeper's cottage is on the top left and the white house beside the lighthouse is the Bridgemaster's home.
Do you know who used/owned the house located in what is now our public parking?

lighthouse kid

Mar 6, 2007
I think that your guess about the time is pretty good for being around 1961. I came to live in the white bungalow that summer with my father.

The Bridgemaster and his wife had been given their notice to vacate their house and it was torn down shortly after that. The new lift bridge was in operation then, I used to hang out in the control room.

In your picture of the ship Red Wing passing through the canal, you can see a building to the right of the lighthouse and lift bridge that is very close to the canal.

It sat close to the pier in front of the white bungalow on the right as you faced looking at the canal toward the Burlington side. The road used to pass right by both places.

When I came in 1961, there was a lot of construction happening on and around the canal. That house was torn down and only the foundation was there when I came to live there. They were pile driving new piers along the canal. The light on the old lighthouse still worked, but wasn't in use. We only manually flipped a switch within the door to turn on and off the pier lights every day. I used to climb the wooden stairs to the top and open up the steel door in the top floor to walk around the light at the top of the lighthouse. The stairs at that time were in very poor condition.

The other picture of those 2 other small buildings were the VW car was parked along side of were not there in 1961 when I came to live there also.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I think that your guess about the time is pretty good for being around 1961. I came to live in the white bungalow that summer with my father.

The Bridgemaster and his wife had been given their notice to vacate their house and it was torn down shortly after that. The new lift bridge was in operation then, I used to hang out in the control room.

In your picture of the ship Red Wing passing through the canal, you can see a building to the right of the lighthouse and lift bridge that is very close to the canal.

It sat close to the pier in front of the white bungalow on the right as you faced looking at the canal toward the Burlington side. The road used to pass right by both places.

When I came in 1961, there was a lot of construction happening on and around the canal. That house was torn down and only the foundation was there when I came to live there. They were pile driving new piers along the canal. The light on the old lighthouse still worked, but wasn't in use. We only manually flipped a switch within the door to turn on and off the pier lights every day. I used to climb the wooden stairs to the top and open up the steel door in the top floor to walk around the light at the top of the lighthouse. The stairs at that time were in very poor condition.

The other picture of those 2 other small buildings were the VW car was parked along side of were not there in 1961 when I came to live there also.
The bridge was working in the summer of 1961, yet the opening year is listed as 1962? But what would they do about shipping as they would still have pass through. The Red Wing is in another picture on the dock, hard to tell which CSL vessel is going through the piers. Anyway, the Bridgemaster was likely Bert Hockridge (sp?) and I assume you mean the foundation was from his old house? The picture isn't very good, but there looks like there is still something on top of the south tower of the bridge, do you remember anything up there?
Many years ago Public Works hired a contractor to remove pigeon droppings from the lighthouse and they collapsed the stairs pushing the piles down them. Couldn't hold the weight, maybe someone should of thought about that.

Edit, now that I look, the top of the south tower has the hydro tower just coming above it, there isn't anything on the top of the tower.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
From the same book, Around and About Hamilton 1785-1985.

1926 "The Beach Club"

beach club 1926 001 (600 x 366).jpg

beach info.jpg

That's all it said in the book Scotto.

Last edited:

InsulatorHunter

May 8, 2007
Burlington
The bridge was working in the summer of 1961, yet the opening year is listed as 1962? But what would they do about shipping as they would still have pass through. The Red Wing is in another picture on the dock, hard to tell which CSL vessel is going through the piers. Anyway, the Bridgemaster was likely Bert Hockridge (sp?) and I assume you mean the foundation was from his old house? The picture isn't very good, but there looks like there is still something on top of the south tower of the bridge, do you remember anything up there?
Many years ago Public Works hired a contractor to remove pigeon droppings from the lighthouse and they collapsed the stairs pushing the piles down them. Couldn't hold the weight, maybe someone should of thought about that.

Edit, now that I look, the top of the south tower has the hydro tower just coming above it, there isn't anything on the top of the tower.
The CSL vessel is Black Bay.

InsulatorHunter

May 8, 2007
Burlington
You have a good eye or you are familiar with the picture? Many of the CSL vessels back then looked the same to me, unless there is something different I don't see?
I'm very familiar with lakers in general, I maintain a giant historical photo archive. The Black Bay while similar to other CSL straight deckers of the era was unique in her outward appearance.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I'm very familiar with lakers in general, I maintain a giant historical photo archive. The Black Bay while similar to other CSL straight deckers of the era was unique in her outward appearance.
Better eye than me.

The Black Bay

Black Bay.jpg

Edit;
I put the two pictures together in this thread and I can see a couple differences between the Murray Bay and the Black Bay. Though minor, the port bow section where the two holes are for letting out the lines, that part is longer on the Black Bay.

InsulatorHunter

May 8, 2007
Burlington
Yes, the Black Bay and her (fairly) close sister Murray Bay (3) [not the one in the bridge control room photo, the next one] were similar but had different aft arrangements and Murray Bay's forward end had a slightly higher pilothouse. Photo credit here for these slides goes to Skip Meier. Murray Bay (2) (seen in the photo earlier in this thread) was actually essentially a sister to the old Menihek Lake.

Murray Bay [3] (17).jpg Black Bay (19).jpg Murray Bay [2] (3).jpg Menihek Lake (65).JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom