Pics I Scanned

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
guard 001.jpg

I think the one pic has been posted in here. It looks familiar. It was the pic on the top right that interested me. It was a guard on watch during WW2. I can't remember, when did Canada enter WW2?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I think the one pic has been posted in here. It looks familiar. It was the pic on the top right that interested me. It was a guard on watch during WW2. I can't remember, when did Canada enter WW2?
There a few more of the army guarding the canal area and Canada entered WW2 in September 1939.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Nice picture of the Lighthouse Scotto.

You get a small glimpse of the little white bungalow in the upper left hand corner of this picture that we lived in too.

Michael
The white bungalow is shown much better in this picture taken from "Prints Along the Beach". Must be the same day with one car on the right now missing, the other two cars are in the same spot and the Keeper is out doing some painting and not wearing any fall arrest equipment.

Hi Scott:

Yes, this is the best picture to date that I've seen of the white bungalow yet.

Wish I had some to share with you but I threw them all away when I moved out west to Vancouver.

My brother Bill and I had a tree house we built together in the last tree on the right toward the canal near the tower base.

The two windows in the front left of the house were the small living room.

Those two windows in the rear on the right were to the only one bedroom which was in the back toward the back door. One very small bathroom and a small kitchen across from the front windows looking toward the steel mills. You can see the sidewalk up to the front of the house and the back door where there was a concrete set of stairs down to the sidewalk going toward the canal.

Nice find.

Michael

Yes, it was a little tight in there. My brother Bill and I slept in bunk beds just inside the back door along the wall.

I was 9 years old then and Bill was 8 years old.

We lived in that place until I want to say I was around 15 years old. But I'm not sure about that, it might have been sooner.

Then we moved into the red brick house when Harry Dunn retired.

I moved out right around when I turned 18 years old with the help of one of my high school teachers.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
misc81xx 001.jpg

misc82x 001.jpg

I know there is another pic posted very similar but thought I would post this one anyhow.

These were also scanned from Around and About Hamilton 1785-1985.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I know there is another pic posted very similar but thought I would post this one anyhow.

These were also scanned from Around and About Hamilton 1785-1985.
I have never seen the first one, that must be the first pictures of construction of the lift bridge.

The second pic is shot of the west end of the harbor and the high level bridge.

From an 1913 book;

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
What memories of the toll. I always remember my father saying oh s--t I missed again when throwing the token into the basket.

jaclac

Mar 25, 2016
Burlington
Sharla1, when you said Dynes 2, Tigers 1, where you talking about the Hamilton Tigers football team back then? I just wondered because my Grandfather, Francis Carroll, (known then as Nimble Carroll), was on the team. Just wondering. Apparently, there is a picture of the team somewhere in my family, which I have never seen, but nobody will own up to having it GRRRR! LOL Thanks

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
They were the Hamilton Tigers back then. I forgot what year they changed it to the Hamilton TigerCats. I will have to look that up. :)

Top Bottom