Skyway Bridge Construction

canoe_gurl

Super Moderator
Aug 19, 2008
Hello everyone (wow it has been a long time since I have posted, sorry!!)

A friend of mine is doing a research project for a structural engineering course, and he is having trouble finding out information about the construction of the 2 bridges. He is looking specifically for more information about the structure itself, apprently the one bridge is a hollowed bridge type so that workers can access various parts from underneath? I am not familiar with this sort of thing at all, I just said I would ask around on here to see if anyone knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hello everyone (wow it has been a long time since I have posted, sorry!!)

A friend of mine is doing a research project for a structural engineering course, and he is having trouble finding out information about the construction of the 2 bridges. He is looking specifically for more information about the structure itself, apprently the one bridge is a hollowed bridge type so that workers can access various parts from underneath? I am not familiar with this sort of thing at all, I just said I would ask around on here to see if anyone knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Glad to have you back!
I'm far fron being a structural engineer, but I did watch them build the second Skyway. It is hollow and they built the pillar on each side then slowly added the bridge sections one at a time. You can still see where the concrete forms started and stop.
There are many pictures in the gallery and I still have some oldies I didn't post.

canoe_gurl

Super Moderator
Aug 19, 2008
Thanks, it's good to be back!!

I did check out those pictures (of course only after I posted this!) They were very helpful. If you do have more I would love to see them. I also noticed older threads about construction etc. causing the bridge to be closed down. Does this mean that the workers enter the hollowed areas of the bridge from the road? I am trying to recall seeing the construction closures in the past, but everything is fuzzy! I remember work being done from both the road as well as underneath.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I never seen the workers enter the hollow part, but I was told that once the the north and south sections finally were joined, cables where installed inside between the two pillars. Beach resident Frank Haley Sr. was a big part of the construction as he was the head guy from Western Pile.

canoe_gurl

Super Moderator
Aug 19, 2008
Wow, ya I saw the picture of when the connection was being done, it amazes me how that was all done! Thanks for all the info so far, I will be sure to pass it along :tbu:

Top Bottom