scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A Spec. Editorial from 1956
Beach Memories

By Dorothy Depew
In the second of two articles. Miss Depew continues her memories of fishing days at the Beach, off Station Four. She tells of an era that has become a part of the history of, the Hamilton district.

Grandfather's fish shanty was quite a place. It was a little low building on the lake shore, and it even had a front porch. Inside it contained about everything from coal stove to fish boxes. Here he had his posts set up for the "simming", (sewing the leads and corks to the nets), kept his tools and paint for mending his boat or a broken oar.
The walls were usually covered with calendars showing pictures of Clipper ships, or lobster men.
His fish shanty was to his end of the Beach what the general store is to the four corners. It was the men's club. Here on winter days or Sundays the men would drift in and out all day; their "membership fee" was usually a lump of coal picked up along the way while walking up the track.
In fact, sonic "members" used to mount the coal trains as they crawled;, by the Beach Road and kick off the coal all the way up to the shanty. Even the train crew would kick' off some themselves, and were known to be most generous to poor families along the line to the Canal.
Politics, sport, fish, weather— everything was discussed in these shanty sessions. Usually a checker or card game was in progress in one corner, the players taking turns at "simming" as well as at cards.
If Lake Ontario had his dander up and spumed right in the shanty door — a Nor'easter — Grandfather would retire to Grandmother's kitchen. There, behind a huge wood-burning range and in the company of many heavy socks and mittens —arid a cat or dog—he -would proceed with his industry of making his own leads. He would heat his bucket of lead, and make his sinkers with his own mould.
The correct attire for a fisherman in Grandfather's day was long woollen underwear, not necessarily red, heavy flannelette shorts, usually grey in colour, a pair of socks, a heavy pair of woollen trousers, and a second pair of heavy socks were drawn up to his knees, and the trousers tucked inside them.
Then came the rubber boots, usually two sweaters—according to the weather. Oilskin overalls, slicker and Sou'wester completed his costume, and then the heavy mitts.
The oilskins were sort of sticky, and when wet they gave off an odour that I can still smell in my imagination.
My Grandfather was a great weather prophet. A glance at the sky, a sniff of the breeze,, a squint at the lake, and he would predict "fair or foul" weather for the morrow. He would also comment on the condition of the lake, whether a sea would be "runnin"" or it would be calm. Nine times out of ten he would be right.
Another winter chore Grandfather had to do was to fill his ice house with ice cut from the Bay and which was hauled by team to his ice house. The. Men's Club always assisted with this. The ice house was constructed of rough boards to form four walls. There was no roof to it.
The huge blocks of ice were lifted from the sleighs with tongs and were placed in layers, each layer being covered with a thick layer of sawdust.
Grandfather raised a family of six sons and one daughter. Fishing breeds independence and all his sons went into business for themselves, in whatever field they followed. Only two of his boys were able to follow in his footsteps, and became fishermen with their own boats and outfits. The others could not take the cold, crippling; dampness of the work. The one and only daughter was the heartbreak of/Grandfather's and Grandmother's lives. She was a cripple and for all her 30 years never left her chair. She had Grandfather's patience and endurance, so that in time she taught her crippled hands to crochet. Grandfather's kinswomen felt greatly honoured when she bestowed a piece of her "work" on them. It became a cherished family possession.
Grandfather's homestead was a low, white frame house. A veranda ran around three sides of it. At intervals, pink climbing roses climbed to the porch roof. The one at the kitchen door was most fragrant and was often admired. In the front of the house the lilac bushes were heavy with bloom each spring.
The six sons trudged the long way to the old school on Van Wagner's Beach to get their education. All the children at that end of the Beach went to school there. On vacations, the boys helped fish, or tended the vegetable garden on the Bay-shore lot. Soil on this shore was noted for growing fine potatoes.
Grandfather sold, his fish to the local hotels, and in the summer, some city ones. The city hotels usually came after theirs. The boys sometimes delivered to the local ones for him. 'In summer, there was usually a little group of cottagers waiting, when the boat pulled in, for a fish dinner for summer guests.
All Grandfather's family were baptized in the little white church just east of his home on the lake side. It was just the Beach Church then, being Anglican in faith. It is recorded with great pride and honour that Grandfather's only Canadian granddaughter took her baptismal vows and received the "laying of the hands" by beloved Bishop of Niagara and Primate of all Canada in the church of her forefathers, now dedicated as St. Andrew's-by-the Lake.
After the sons were grown and left the homestead, Grandmother was called to higher service. The lifting and constant care of a crippled daughter took heavy toll of per strength. Grandfather then forsook his beloved lake to give more time to his. daughter. Missing a mother's care, she soon followed and Grandfather died not long afterward.
It is one of the brightest memories in the life of' the Canadian granddaughter of holidays spent with Grandfather — those were red-letter days, indeed, when he took her out on the lake with him.
When the net was set, he would sit down beside a little girl sitting like a statue, having warned her not to move. With a loving arm around her, he would put her tiny hand on the tiller, and youth and age would sail the boat home.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Fantastic piece. Got the first one??? Do you know who this lady is? Sounds like a later comer to the Beach. Any informtaion.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Fantastic piece. Got the first one??? Do you know who this lady is? Sounds like a later comer to the Beach. Any informtaion.
I looked through all the clippings I had and no, it wasn't there, but I will try and track it down as I would like to read it as well.

And sorry, the name Depew isn't mentioned much on the Beach, the City, yes(Depew St.). Could of been a married name.

Last edited:

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Well I really liked the description of the fisherman and his clothing. I can't put the whole of her work in my book but I can "quote" her.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Well I really liked the description of the fisherman and his clothing. I can't put the whole of her work in my book but I can "quote" her.
If you are selling a book I would get permission from the Spec even though the article is well over 50 years old. I doubt very much that the author is still around.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I know what you are saying but a specific quote for a specific reason doesn't come under copyright. You can't take the majority of something and reuse it. You may however quote and site the article. I liked the description of the clothing of a local fisherman. Would be nice to know the approx. date she was writing about.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Drogo
05-11-2014, 05:21 PM
"Fantastic piece. Got the first one??? Do you know who this lady is? Sounds like a later comer to the Beach. Any informtaion.
05-11-2014, 06:26 PM

I looked through all the clippings I had and no, it wasn't there, but I will try and track it down as I would like to read it as well.

And sorry, the name Depew isn't mentioned much on the Beach, the City, yes(Depew St.). Could of been a married name."

Drogo, the Hamilton Spectator article refers to the writer as a 'miss Depew'. And the article indicates that the grand father and his wife had seven children - six boys and one girl, who was crippled. And It seems that the girl lived all of her life with her parrents . so if we assume that the girl didn't have any children, then the writer 'Miss Depew', must have been the child of one of the five sons, whose last name would have been 'Depew'. And therefore the grand father's last name would have been 'Depew'.

And the news paper article also indicates that all of the family members were baptized in the 'Beach Church' - an Anglican church. So maybe there are baptizmle records that would include the birth dates of the children.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Beach Memories

All Grandfather's family were baptized in the little white church just east of his home on the lake side. It was just the Beach Church then, being Anglican in faith. It is recorded with great pride and honour that Grandfather's only Canadian granddaughter took her baptismal vows and received the "laying of the hands" by beloved Bishop of Niagara and Primate of all Canada in the church of her forefathers, now dedicated as St. Andrew's-by-the Lake.

Yes it would make sense that she was a daughter to one of the sons, but the little white church had to be a temporary home as I recall in other news that the congregation moved around until St. Andrew's was built. I will to look that one up but it is posted somewhere on the Forum.

This a link to a thread for the passing of the pastor of the Beach Anglican church, this was back in 1932, makes me wonder how old St Andrews Church is.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Beach Memories

[The six sons trudged the long way to the old school on Van Wagner's Beach to get their education. All the children at that end of the Beach went to school there.
So the family was from the south end of the Beach and attended Van Wagner's School, I checked the name Depew in the Van Wagner's book which does a very good job of listing most of the students form back then and the name doesn't come up.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Here is a good candidate
1891 Census Beach
William H Depew 47 fisherman
Margaret 48
Robert 17 fisherman
Wm. Frederick 16 fisherman (married Annie Hall dau. of George Hall of the Beach)
William H 15
Thomas 13
Mary H 10
Charles 6

I then went to the 1881 to see if there were older children than Robert who wouldn't be at home in 1881
Terrible copy but I got oldest child after parents was George

We now have 6 boys at least and 1 girl

Mary H Depew died at the age of 28 of Congenital Acromegaly --- deforming

Sounds like Dorothy's grandfather was William H Depew

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Here is a good candidate
1891 Census Beach
Margaret 48
Robert 17 fisherman
Wm. Frederick 16 fisherman (married Annie Hall dau. of George Hall of the Beach)
William H 15
Thomas 13
Mary H 10
Charles 6

I then went to the 1881 to see if there were older children than Robert who wouldn't be at home in 1881

Sounds like Dorothy's grandfather was William H Depew
Then you have found the time period for the article, the period that Dorothy describes would be around 1900. Mary would of died in 1909, much of the story comes before that. Forty years old in the late 1800's and still having children.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Last piece of the puzzle. I found a Dorothy Jean Depew born in Welland 6 Jan 1909 to Charles Aaron Depew and Alice Maria Aldridge. I got their marriage and Charles Aaron Depew is the son of Wm H Depew and Maggie Fletcher (from the Beach). The Charles that was 6 in the 1891 census. So the little girl story is probably referencing 1915 +.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Last piece of the puzzle. I found a Dorothy Jean Depew born in Welland 6 Jan 1909 to Charles Aaron Depew and Alice Maria Aldridge. I got their marriage and Charles Aaron Depew is the son of Wm H Depew and Maggie Fletcher (from the Beach). The Charles that was 6 in the 1891 census. So the little girl story is probably referencing 1915 +.
Now it comes together, so Dorothy must of made many long visits to the Beach to visit her Grand Parents and recorded the history, she would of been born the year Mary died. Good find.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Drogo
05-15-2014, 01:09 PM
"Here is a good candidate
1891 Census Beach
Margaret 48
Robert 17 fisherman
William H 15
Thomas 13
Mary H 10
Charles 6

Sounds like Dorothy's grandfather was William H Depew"

Drogo, do you know if there were any previous generation(s) of the Depew family living on the beach?

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
From David "Drogo, do you know if there were any previous generation(s) of the Depew family living on the beach?"

In the Spec story it says Dorothy was the first grand daughter born a Canadian. William H Depew was born Ontario but I don't know where. There were other Depew's who were French living in Tapleytown. How long they had been there I don't know. I will have to look at maps because I think I remember Depew on one of them.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From David "Drogo, do you know if there were any previous generation(s) of the Depew family living on the beach?"

In the Spec story it says Dorothy was the first grand daughter born a Canadian. William H Depew was born Ontario but I don't know where. There were other Depew's who were French living in Tapleytown. How long they had been there I don't know. I will have to look at maps because I think I remember Depew on one of them.
Since the biggest increase in population didn't take place until 1875, would your records show 1891 as the first census of the area? I looking through some a while back (not the Beach) and they weren't in-depth. Some places had complete and regular records, while others were either not done or missing.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Since the biggest increase in population didn't take place until 1875, would your records show 1891 as the first census of the area? I looking through some a while back (not the Beach) and they weren't in-depth. Some places had complete and regular records, while others were either not done or missing.
I have 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911, 1921. A couple of places that have gone missing on 1851 usually still have the agricultural census. Quebec just released online 1824 and 1842. Unfortunately they haven't put 1842 Ontario online yet. I have 1826 Saltfleet and Binbrook on my Old Saltfleet Records website (through www.behindnelliesclock.com)

Top Bottom