Stadium Debate

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Here is the link with the results so far on CHCH TV.

East Mountain (171)

West Harbour (141)

Confederation Park (119)

Somewhere else (15)

Last count

East Mountain (208)

West Harbour (162)

Confederation Park (129)

Somewhere else (16)

http://www.chchnews.ca/

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Here is the link with the results so far on CHCH TV.

East Mountain (171)

West Harbour (141)

Confederation Park (119)

Somewhere else (15)

Last count

East Mountain (208)

West Harbour (162)

Confederation Park (129)

Somewhere else (16)

http://www.chchnews.ca/
Hamilton Council just approved West Harbour, done deal. Too bad some still think paving over Confed is a good idea.:nonono:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Yea I have been reading some of it. Plus I already put my 2 cents worth on that site with this comment.

"It sounds like a lot of people need to grow up and stop acting like children.

I agree with Doug. Do some major upgrading to the IWS and it would save us taxpayers a lot of money."

Nov 26, 2006
Brantford
you know as an out of towner the mountain seemed like the most logical expecially for traffic flow, no one, no one want to goto the west harbour for a game and sit in the traffic for 2 hrs to leave the area, I went to Larry the cable guy at copps and it took an hour to get to the 403 when we left, horrible location

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Plus the safety issues too Porky. We all know the north end isn't the safest place in the city.
The North End has come a long way since the hell hole it was a few decades ago. All the that work the City did along the waterfront has brought the area back, many of the houses have been renovated and it has become a people place. I agree there is still parts that are run down, but it gotten much better. Cleaning up brownfields can only help.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Theft is bad though. A friend of mine lives in that area and has had his shed broken into. I haven't talked to him in a while so possible more has happened since.

Donka

Jun 5, 2006
I vote west harbour, for a number of reasons. Mostly I'm just glad that Chad Collins stood up for Confederation Park and said (I'm paraphrasing), 'You wouldn't pave over Bayfront Park or Pier 4 or Gage Park and put up a stadium. What makes you think you can pave over my park and put up a stadium? Confederation Park is not an option just like the other parks aren't.'

Go Chad!!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I vote west harbour, for a number of reasons. Mostly I'm just glad that Chad Collins stood up for Confederation Park and said (I'm paraphrasing), 'You wouldn't pave over Bayfront Park or Pier 4 or Gage Park and put up a stadium. What makes you think you can pave over my park and put up a stadium? Confederation Park is not an option just like the other parks aren't.'

Go Chad!!
The developers are always looking to pave over what ever they can to make money. :mad:I would of liked to see IWS replaced, but that's just my opinion. From the beginning I didn't really care how it ended so long as it wasn't Confederation park or anyone of our parks for that matter.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Interesting poll on Toronto Sun site concerning the Cats.

Do you think the Tiger-Cats will leave Hamilton?
Yes.....44%

No....56%Total

Votes for this Question: 356

http://www.torontosun.com/
As a few have been writing in the Spec blogs, there is no money out there for other cities to take the Cats. Hamilton is getting cash from the Feds and the Province (maybe, maybe not) for this venture or it wouldn't be on the table from the start.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Spec letters today

Keeping Confederation Park out of stadium debate was the best move
THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR
(Aug 21, 2010)
Re: Pan Am stadium

Councillor Chad Collins and his like-minded colleagues should be commended, not blamed, for ensuring Confederation Park was eliminated as a potential site for a Pan Am stadium. Collins has a vision of an open, accessible and green waterfront and is seeing it through. It's a pivotal component of a livable city.

As Terry Cooke wrote months ago, a stadium should fulfil three principles: opportunities to spur redevelopment, access to public transit and the ability to generate pedestrian traffic for nearby businesses. A stadium at Confederation Park would do none of this and would eliminate the possibility of LRT. A stadium at the west harbour would do all of them.

North American experience has shown us, time and again, that the quality of life and economic viability of a postindustrial city hinges on the health of its core, regardless of where we live or which team we love.

(Mark Shurvin is a former councillor and mayor of the Town of Flamborough and a former chair of Hamilton Conservation Authority)

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I agree with the writer about Confederation Park not being a good place.

Maybe we can change the heading of this thread to stadium talk Scotto. :)

Top Bottom