The Beach Banner 1926

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The Beach had it's very own newspaper back in the 1920's, some good reading as it shows some of the issues of the time.
Thanks to Beach resident Ken K. for sending this in.
He has sent in three copies, attached is the one from June 1926, have a look.
I have posted this in PDF form, change the viewer to 125% for reading, I will post the others when time permits.

June 1926 https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1duRoKaUp3Ot7b68tsF7rFlaAEOCncZXb?usp=sharing

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Fred Briggs said:
Wow! Thanks Kenny! Thanks Scotto! This is a real find. I have seen some others, but they don't go that far back, as I remember. I'm dying to see the other two ASAP. So snap to it, Scotto! Let's hope they are of the same early era!
I was loaned June, July and August, all from 80 years ago. I'm very surprised you didn't see them before. I will post the others ASAP.
Thanks Fred.
BTW, Kenny :rock: is a goldmine for Beach info.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
05-10-2006, 01:40 PM
The Beach had it's very own newspaper back in the 1920's, some good reading as it shows some of the issues of the time.
Thanks to Beach resident Ken K. for sending this in.
He has sent in three copies, attached is the one from June 1926, have a look.
I have posted this in PDF form, change the viewer to 125% for reading, I will post the others when time permits.

(3) What is the date of the first publication?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
David;
There have been many "Beach Banners" or Beach newsletters over decades, Gary Evans has even donated a chapter in his latest book to the topic.

Page 19 of the "Memories of the Beach Strip";
"Some of the oldest papers to have surfaced date back to 1926 when the Burlington and Hamilton Beach Review was published every Thursday. Small in size, similar to a letter size piece of paper, the publication ranged from eight to 10 pages on a regular basis, with numerous ads."
Gary doesn't state if the paper was printed on the Beach, from the quality of the set-up, with the added pictures, I would guess that it was done by a printing company. (Edit; the Beach Review was printed by Allied Printing of Hamilton)

"The Beach Bulletin was published by the Hamilton Beach Citizens Committee starting in 1952", but Gary doesn't add who the publisher was.
I have posted a few scans of the Bulletin here;
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2295

"The Beach Ambassador came along about three years later"
But this time Gary found some more information in his research;
"Published twice a month by the Speedy Typesetting Company from it's office at 33 Brant Street in Burlington"

There wasn't a beach newsletter for many years until Beach residents Gwen Hall and Alice Selbie started the Beach Banner, first publication was in May 1993. This work was done in the resident's homes and then sent to City Hall for printing. At first the office of Alderman Fred Eisenberger printed the banner then Councillor Chad Collins has printed them ever since. The last publication for this banner was November 2007 and all of them can be found here, but they are in a PDF format;
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/threads/the-beach-banner.1641/#post-13941

The Beach Banner was then taken over by resident Jane Kruchka and still exists with the editor now being Lisa Witherington, the printing is still done by the office of Councillor Collins.

Top Bottom