The Flood on the Beach

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I remember well the flooding problems we had down here in the 1970's, but I wasn't around for the one in the late 30's. Member Crawfish has sent in a few more good pictures showing the sidestreets back then, he also sent in the comments below.

"Attached are three photos showing the Bay invading people space. I think these pics were taken somewhere around 1938-1940 and I also believe they were taken on Bayshore Park (I think that name is correct) Ave. (between Windermere and Knapman's Dr)."

Thanks again to Crawfish. :tbu:
Scotto

Attachments

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Flooding of the low-lying streets down toward the Bay was common in the 40's. The Beach Commission used to create temporary sidewalks formed of 2 by 10 planks stretched between concrete blocks to help residents get to and from their homes with dry feet. These walks were springy and we used to get a kick out of jumping up and down on them. Those who lived up higher on the boulevard never had surface water but flooding of basements was common. I remember going down to the basement every morning in the spring to see if the water was coming in.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Even with the lower lake levels, a few of the sidestreets still get some flooding, mostly after heavy rains.
On another topic, Crawfish, do you remember that house in the first picture because it looks very familiar to me??? I drove down the sidestreets and I don't see anything that matches it at all, but I know I have seen it somewhere. Could of been moved a long time ago or altered in last while.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I am not certain, but I think that this house was the one that my parents rented prior to buying 757 Beach Blvd. I have not been back there in years and of course, I would not recognize it anyway because I was only a year old when we left it. I am concluding this because it is centred in the photo and there must have been a good reason for doing that.

Top Bottom