The Hunting Trip

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks to the Young family for sending in this one. :rock: These three attached photos show the boys back from their successful hunting trip and they are showing off their trophies and their guns. I have posted these not so much for their catch, but for the background area. I don't know who they are (will try to find out), but they are posing on Rembe Ave which was called South Park Ave (then Yale) back then in I assume the middle or late 40's. You can see the variety store and the drycleaners(or maybe the drug store) and some of the old houses that are long gone. The house to the right still looks somewhat the same.

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Over five years later

Member Drogo sent me a picture of her Aunt Norma Drew, mostly because of the buildings behind her showing the old store.
I remember the same era with the pictures from the hunting trip, so I asked her if she knew who the hunters were.
And she did,
Hope I get this right, in the third picture, right to left, Les Drew, Ike Christian and Al Milligan,
as for the dogs, the spaniel is Mugs and the dark coloured dog is Brownie.
Thanks to Drogo(Peggy).

Attachments

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Thanks for that picture. That is a view that brings back memories, not so much of Norma Drew but of the background of the Pemberton's house and store that eventually became Pett's. I remember Jimmy Pett and myself painting the front of the store one summer for little more than free refreshments. By the way, I only see one picture, not three like the text suggests should be there.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Ok. Now I see the other pictures. I missed them because when the page opened up it opened up to the last post only and the text in that post referred to the hunters which I didn't see until I had posted my reply.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I think that the store on the right that you can see in the first two pictures was still the drug store judging by the signs over the entrance. And in the first picture you can just see the corner of the house fronting on the boulevard which used to be owned by the Hill family. One of the sons (name forgotten) used to be our hero because he drove tractor trailers and kept a de-scented skunk in the woodpile in the basement.
Lots of useless information.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yes, we had a discussion (with Fred involved) about another picture that was taken from the sidewalk on the lakeside and the Drug Store topic was brought up. I have no idea that was were Ryan's Drug Store had first started.
And please keep all that useless information coming, it's all we have of the old days.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Further trivia. Behind the little house to the right of the drugstore was the business headquarters of the Hann & Christian Coal and Ice company. There was a little lane beside the house to access the business. I wonder if the lane is still there?
I guess the Christian in the picture is one of the partners. Also, I remember the Drew family being avid duck hunters. We used to go and watch the activity in the lake. Very impressive was the way they would skull out to the decoys after they had called the ducks to land. They weren't always successful but it sure was fun to watch. I wonder if anybody still hunts like that now?
Here (in Quebec) the hunt is not so challenging because the hunters build blinds in the reeds and blast away from hiding and only venture out to pick up the kill.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
And even more trivia. I still can picture the Hann's delivery men hauling ice blocks in leather baskets which they carried on their shoulders to fill the household ice boxes and then in the heating season, delivering huge bags of coal which they would dump down a trough into the householder's coal bin. Those guys must have had to flush the coal dust off before they could enter their homes.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Further trivia. Behind the little house to the right of the drugstore was the business headquarters of the Hann & Christian Coal and Ice company. There was a little lane beside the house to access the business. I wonder if the lane is still there?
I guess the Christian in the picture is one of the partners.
The only lane I remember was the one between the store, Ernie's Lunch (Pemberton's back then) and the drycleaners, which was the drug store in those days, there was the house which is still behind the store and another building to the south. That lane is still there and is used as an access to the Path. The buildings or houses or businesses which were on the south side were demolished. The structure on the blvd was re-built is now a large rental property and the building in the rear still has the basement sitting there with no building on top. maybe it is their bomb shelter now(lol). In my younger days there were many narrow un-named access lanes along the Beach, this is the only one that I still see being used and not annexed by the adjacent property owners.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Further trivia. I remember the Drew family being avid duck hunters. We used to go and watch the activity in the lake. Very impressive was the way they would skull out to the decoys after they had called the ducks to land. They weren't always successful but it sure was fun to watch. I wonder if anybody still hunts like that now?
Here (in Quebec) the hunt is not so challenging because the hunters build blinds in the reeds and blast away from hiding and only venture out to pick up the kill.
We had a discussion a long time ago on the duck hunting, since then Drogo (Peggy, who is one of the Drews) has sent me a good picture of the crew and their boat.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1099

Her father is one of the hunters along with Graham Pilling, since the last photo album upgrade, I have lost all of the little credits and names that went with each picture. So I will have to ask who the other hunter is.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Further trivia. Behind the little house to the right of the drugstore was the business headquarters of the Hann & Christian Coal and Ice company.
At one point before or after the Hann's were involved, the Young had a part of the ice and coal business. Thanks to Scott Young for the picture.

Attachments

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Well, the Young involvement was before my time. Thanks for the link to the earlier posts by Drogo, yourself, and. surprise,,,,,,,,,,,,myself. I must be as old as dirt because I am repeating myself. The story by Drogo is a very good recounting of the history. As to the lane you describe between Pemberton's and Ryan's, I remember it well and used it often. There was also another lane on the other side of Pemberton's house which led to three cottages right by the tracks. The most northerly was occupied by the Hanna family, next to it was the Young family (not the one in business with the Christians) and the other one by a couple whose name I can't recall. The Youngs were not there very long but the father was a Scot who had served in the British army and was leading the cub scout pack (which met in the basement of the Beach Bungalow School). The night of our last meeting the building caught fire after we left and I was always suspicious that a forgotten cigarette was the cause. I hope I don't get into trouble with this revelation because I don't think I have ever told this story before. Mr. Young was a chain smoker.
One of Mr. Young's enterprises was a fish and chip shop which he opened right beside the house and could be accessed from the tracks. It didn't last very long. He also tried to organize a pipe band and enlisted a few of us to learn the chanter and drums. Again, lack of funding caused that to fail but I still remember trying to learn the drum strokes by saying "momma, dadda" along with the drumsticks on a piece of oak.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Yes, Drogo, I remember Pete Townsend. (I am responding to a comment made by Drogo in 2008). He was a car fanatic and spent most of his free time building "hot rods" in a garage he rented behind the Allan's house on the corner of what is known now as Killarney Ave. Maybe it was Killarney then as well. He had a sister named Beverley.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Well, my memory is in trouble again. I kept thinking about Pete Townsend's sister's name and I began to doubt it was Beverley. I was right to doubt because with a little research I was able to find out that her name was (and probably still is) Marianne.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
You got them right Scott. Even to the dogs. Actually Mugs was my dog that is why when you sent me the picture I spotted my grandfather Les. I would have laid money on the fact that he didn't hunt anything but ducks and would have lost it. Oh you missed two names. As hood ornaments we have Bambi's Mother and her boyfriend Buck!

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks Crawfish and Drogo!
Crawfish I don't recall the lane beside the Pemberton's house which led to three cottages right by the tracks, but I think one of the houses is still there.
From the pictures I don't enough room for a lane between the store and the next house, therefore it must of been located behide the store? Wasn't there in my years of visiting the store, but it was a long time ago.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Well, my memory is in trouble again. I kept thinking about Pete Townsend's sister's name and I began to doubt it was Beverley. I was right to doubt because with a little research I was able to find out that her name was (and probably still is) Marianne.
I just located a class picture from Bell Cairn (1948) with all the student's names written on the back of the photo, second row there is Marianne Townsend.

Top Bottom