The Old Texaco Property

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Last month's issue of Biz magazine called "What Can Hamilton Learn From This Man". The man they were writing about was Pittsburg Mayor Tom Murphy. Anyway, part of the article touched on the subject of the old Texaco property at 440 Beach Blvd and at press time the fence around the lot was there along with all the piping that was in the ground. Since then, all has been removed and according to Councilor Chad Collins, the project is going ahead. We will see!

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scott,

What was the project that is refered to in this article?
The lands being cleaned up were once a gas station for many decades which had underground storage tanks that leaked and contaminated the area where a new condo development was to be built. Seems like all went well.

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/98383AA9-07B0-4DCB-B6CB-A90BD16A33A2/0/Feb21PED06064.pdf

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/8C64C80C-5051-4166-9CC9-F28685618A16/0/Oct17PED06397.pdf

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/5426AB25-0FE0-4820-B407-AB8CBA1D0ABD/0/Jan10MOTION75ac.pdf

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
02-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Scott,

What was the project that is refered to in this article?

The lands being cleaned up were once a gas station for many decades which had underground storage tanks that leaked and contaminated the area where a new condo development was to be built. Seems like all went well.

Scott,

Do you know exactly when the Texaco station was built there?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
scotto
Scott,

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
02-01-2015, 07:42 PM
scotto
Scott,

I don't have the exact year, but Peggy's maps dated 1936 show the property at 440 Beach Blvd as a service station, doesn't say if it is a Texaco.

". Incorporated in 1927 as McColl-Frontenac Oil Co Ltd, the company became Texaco Canada Ltd in 1959. It adopted its present name in 1978 as a result of its merger with Texaco Explorations Canada Ltd."

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/en/article/texaco-canada-inc/

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Scott and David
I seem to remember a gas station the next property south of Dynes. Wasn't that a Texaco? There was also a gas station beside the old Green Gables Antiques. I can see the ground being a problem for the condo building at either site.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Drogo
02-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Scott and David
I seem to remember a gas station the next property south of Dynes. Wasn't that a Texaco? There was also a gas station beside the old Green Gables Antiques. I can see the ground being a problem for the condo building at either site.

Drogo,

I didn't live on the beach, so I only know about the beach through what is on this site.

Maybe the station beside Dynes was a Texaco station at some point, but not always. This thread started by Scott refers to the station beside Dynes, as 'the Turbo gas station. But perhaps 'Turbo' was the name of the people who ran it?

"scotto
09-10-2004, 11:50 PM
"The owners from Dynes have removed the old Turbo gas station to make more room for parking, I guess they are expecting a lot of people for Beach Reunion at the end of the month. :D"

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-244.html

and this 'Then and Now' thread for 532 Beach Blvd. refers to a Texaco station.

"This might be the place that was once known as Dalzell's. There used to be a Texaco station next door. Dalzell's used to have the best selection of candy on the Beach."

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1038.html

there's a thread somewhere that refers to two or three different gas stations, but I don't know which one it is.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
There definitely was a Texaco station on the Beach and I would guess the address would have been about 440 Beach Blvd. It is difficult for me to prove the address because all my old landmarks are gone. On the lakeside, across from the station was the playground/ballpark where we spent our time at recess and where we played softball. It was a Texaco station because I recall a promotion where you could get a paper fireman's hat with a tank of gas I guess Texaco at the time was using firemen as a marketing logo) and I pestered my Dad until he did so.
Also, next door was a little store where we bought candy after school. The Texaco property was also shared (or next to it) for a time by a butcher named Noel Hughes whose holdup and lockup in his cooler I have spoken of before.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
At one point there were four gas stations on the Beach, the Texaco was at 440 Beach Blvd and is now a condo development. The one beside the antique store was a BP until it was changed to the Beach Station. It operated until a strike at the lift bridge closed the road (the Government put the bridge to the top and left it there) and there weren't any customers for a few weeks. Now it is a condo development, it has been half done for a few years now and still not sold out. The station south of the Dynes had many names over the years, Spur and Turbo were two. Now it is also a condo development along with the Dynes property and one added lot.
The last one was an ESSO station which belonged to Charlie Stewart for many years, it was located north of the Rescue Unit hall. It is not a condo development, but it is being cleared at present with five single family homes are being built, one already exists.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
scotto
02-01-2015, 07:42 PM
scotto
I don't think it could have been a Texaco station at that time, as It seems that Texaco Canada wasn't formed until 1959.

". Incorporated in 1927 as McColl-Frontenac Oil Co Ltd, the company became Texaco Canada Ltd in 1959. It adopted its present name in 1978 as a result of its merger with Texaco Explorations Canada Ltd."

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/en/article/texaco-canada-inc/
Something odd here, Crawfish was pestering his dad to buy gas to get a fireman's hat, well that was before 1959 and Keith wasn't a young buck then, I looked up the hat and it is(was) a Texaco "Fire-Chief" hat. They are still on eBay and I have attached a picture of one.

Attachments

Top Bottom