Updates From Councillor Collins

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Kenilworth Access Closure

City of Hamilton Public Works staff advise that the Kenilworth Access will be temporarily closed this weekend (March 11th & 12th) to accommodate emergency scaling work. This past week, while undertaking work along the Kenilworth Access, City operations staff noted some areas on the upper section of the escarpment face where rocks may become unstable. The area has been checked further and it was determined that scaling work to remove loose rocks should be undertaken as soon as possible.

The work is planned to commence on Saturday, March 11th and should be completed over the weekend with normal traffic operation anticipated for next week. Due to the proximity of the roadway and the potential for rocks to reach the road during the scaling work it is necessary to have a temporary closure of the access to protect the public. Please check the City’s website www.hamilton.ca for Hamilton Street Railway bus detour information.

A Message from Hamilton’s Fire Department

The Hamilton Fire Department would like to remind all citizens to replace the batteries in all smoke alarms this weekend when they adjust their clocks forward for day-light savings time. The Ontario Fire Code requires that you have an operational smoke alarm installed on every floor level of your home including basements and outside of sleeping areas. An operational smoke alarm will provide you and your family with the protection and early warning necessary to give everyone the best chance to survive a fire in your home.

Rosedale Softball Registration 2017

Softball season is almost upon us, and the Rosedale Community Council is seeking players and volunteers for the 2017 season. Information for youth co-ed softball registration for softball (fast pitch) and T-Ball is available at www.rosedaleyouthsoftball.com. Online registration is available March 1st – April 30th. Player evaluations & opening day dates to be determined. For more information contact Cassie DeCoste, Secretary, Rosedale Community Council at decoste.cassie@gmail.com

Television Show Filming

A film permit has been issued for the television show ‘See No Evil’ with film production scheduled for March 13th, on Bayside Avenue. Please note that there may be temporary parking changes in the area to accommodate 15 production vehicles during the shoot. Other films and television shows shooting in Hamilton this week include Wanders, MacKenzie Hughes: Dundas & Hours to Kill.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Food Bank Planning Meeting

As per my recent newsletter, and media updates, I’m pleased to advise that we’ve secured a space for the new East End Food Bank & Food Centre. The resident led planning committee, in partnership with St. Matthews House, has secured units at the commercial plaza located at 625 Greenhill Avenue (corner of Quigley & Greenhill). You’re invited to attend our next meeting on Tuesday, March 28th at 7:00 p.m. at 625 Greenhill Avenue. All residents are encouraged and welcome to attend.

Neighbourhood Clean-Up Events

Spring has officially arrived, and there are already two community clean-up events planned for Ward 5. Please join me at:

9th Annual Davis Creek Clean Up at Greenhill Park (west of Quigley Rd.) – Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 (9 a.m. to noon)

10th Annual Beach Community Clean Up at the Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit – Saturday, April 29th, 2017 (9 a.m. to noon)

In past years, I’ve hosted additional clean-up events in the Riverdale and Rosedale Neighbourhoods. Dates and events have yet to be confirmed for 2017.

Supplies and refreshments will be provided to participants. These events will be held ‘rain or shine’. If you’re unable to attend the event, but would like to assist with a spring clean-up on your own time, please contact my office and I’ll deliver the supplies to your home.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Spring Compost Giveaways

Compost and woodchips will be available for free to City of Hamilton residents at six events with the first two events taking place on Saturday, April 29th. Shovels and pails will not be provided. The compost and woodchips are for residential use only and not for commercial use. Monetary donations will be accepted with proceeds supporting Hamilton FoodShare. The giveaway events will be held on the following dates and locations:

• April 29th – Ancaster Public Works Yard, 501 Shaver Rd., Ancaster
• April 29th – Dundas Public Works Yard, 189 King St. E., Dundas
• May 6th – Rymal Road Public Works Yard, 308 Rymal Rd. East, Hamilton
• May 6th – Joe Sams Leisure Park, 752 Centre Rd., Waterdown
• May 13th – Rennie/Brampton Public Works Yard, 2200 Brampton St., Hamilton
• May 13th – Jones Road Public Works Yard, 349 Jones Rd., Stoney Creek

** events to be held 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. while quantities last

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Beach Clean Up 2017

Saturday April 29th will be Beach Clean Up day. Stop in at the Rescue Unit any time between 9am and noon, gloves and bags will be supplied plus lunch.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From Councillor Collin's Office;

Open House Reminder

As per my recent correspondence to the neighbourhood, staff at the Canada Centre for Inland Waters will be hosting a public open house on Friday, June 16 & Saturday, June 17 from 10am-4pm at 867 Lakeshore Road, Burlington, with information related to Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway water levels. I’m scheduled to be in attendance for most of Friday, and would be pleased to speak to you about the City’s recent efforts.

Slow Down – Lawn Signs

As part of a safe streets campaign, the City of Hamilton’s Traffic Department has created ‘Slow Down’ lawn signs asking drivers to reduce their speed in residential areas. Signs are available for pickup at City Hall or you can order one through my office via email or by calling (905-546-2716), and I will personally deliver a sign to your home.

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Digital Speed Signs – Beach Blvd.

In consultation with the Beach Community Council and the City’s Traffic Department I’m pleased to announce that we’re installing 6 digital speed signs on Beach Blvd. Three signs will be installed in each direction in the vicinity of Reg Wheeler Park (170s-180s), Kinsmen Park (400s-500s) and Dieppe Veterans Memorial Park/Jimmy Lomax Park. The signs have been ordered, and it’s anticipated that they will be installed and operational early fall.

Attachments

Top Bottom