Warning for all Internet Users.

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Former Beach Bum, now in Stoney Creek
Just a small warning to all Internet users on the beach.
With all the new houses going up, you may want to make sure they your Internet is secure and not open.

Someone or some people have been piggy backing my parents internet and have been using up all their bandwidth (I believe that's how it's spelled?) with downloads. They didn't realize this was happening until the internet provider contacted them about going over their bandwidth. This explains why they went from a super fast connection, to crawling so slow they shut the computer off because there was no point trying to go on the internet. Not all the time just sometimes. We now know it's when the other person/people where downloading using my parents internet connection.
This all started after people started moving into the new houses.
My Husband went down today to see what this warning email from the internet provider was all about. After checking the log, we know who was doing it. He also secured the network so it can not be connected to.

So if you don't want people to steal your internet connection while you pay good money to have it, please, make sure it is secured.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
So true Squirt, always secure your router. Just use the CD that comes with your router and follow the directions.
A friend of mine received one of those letters, but it was him D/L movies.

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Former Beach Bum, now in Stoney Creek
My parents don't download much at all. So when the email came they where a bit surprised.
Marko secured our when we got it because we have so many houses around. He never thought about securing my parents because really, what houses where around them at the time? And the ones that where, they knew the people. Never even thought about it when the new houses went up. It's all done now so this should be the end of it. I hope the people/person enjoyed the free ride because the ride has ended.
I would love to be a fly on the wall when they try to got back on and find it locked up. lol

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yes I can't see your parents going wild with the D/Ls, so they live in a new house and cannot afford cable internet?? Maybe it isn't hooked up yet and Chuck took away their only source of entertainment, oh well.:laugh2:

Top Bottom